Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 08:40 AM

279 posts, read 593,603 times

Advertisements

I find downtown Baltimore parking garages to be scary as hell. I'm only subjected to them on the weekends when I go downtown and I am always with someone else, but I just don't like them. They are always dark and isolated and creepy. I'm referring to the ones around the inner harbor. Am I just paranoid or do I have good reason to feel unsafe? I'm not even talking about having my car broken into, but I mean as far as being attacked, raped or killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 01:51 PM

485 posts, read 1,953,564 times
Try riding the rail and using the Park'nRide.

Keeps you out in the open and saves a lot of money, to boot.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:12 PM

34 posts, read 101,561 times
I'm creeped out by parking garages in general, not specifically Baltimore. There are basic rules of safety though,

1) try to park as close to the elevator as possible

2) take the elevator and not the stairs. An empty stairwell may not be empty.

3) stay in your car if you feel unsafe around anyone you see

4) keys out, off the phone, pay attention!

You say you're usually with someone, so you really shouldn't have to worry too much as long as you're aware of your surroundings.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:29 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,405,521 times
I always use the garage at the Hilton or Sheraton downtown by the Harbor.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:06 PM

56 posts, read 264,519 times
Parking garages are creepy n general and havens for crime even if well lit. The Towson Town Center has had all sorts of crime including murder happen, so lighting doesn't mean safety, especially if you are preoccupied with something else. Were I you, I would use public transport or try to park along Key Hwy across from Rash field, for example. This may limit your time at a place but it is out in the open and gives you some flexibility in case you are being followed. There's also public transport, which has it's own nightmares but is a lot cheaper. Lastly, though, just remember some good rules of thumb when walking anywhere like:

*pay attention to your surroundings w/o being paranoid and looking afraid;

*have your keys out, ready and in a defensive position;

*Check underneath your vehicle as well as the ones nearby as you are approaching;

*when you get in your car, lock it immediately, start the ignition and get moving;

*LISTEN for unusual noises like someone matching your pace when you walk.

*walk confidently with your shoulders back, head up, etc and do not be on the phone, fiddling with tech gadgets, etc.

These are just a few things to keep in mind.

Enjoy your city nights!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: