Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 04:37 PM

52 posts, read 253,706 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me something about Federal Hill. I have driven through and it seems relatively safe. I dont see much diversity mostly whites does this neighborhood welcome minorities(blacks,hispanics,asians)? Also Warren Ave or Charles St I am looking at rentals on these streets I am looking for any advice as to how I would fit in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 05:00 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
Baltimore is a city of minorities. Although Federal Hill may seem predominately white, minorities are welcome. It is also a nice neighborhood.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:18 PM

46 posts, read 224,369 times
Default Federal Hill

The houses are some of the highest in Balt City and the houses are small. It looks like a safe area to live and it is convenient to shop there .
Friendly, up beat feel. Reminds me a bit of Georgetown in DC .

Old 08-15-2008, 01:37 PM

382 posts, read 1,053,694 times
Federal Hill has a mixture of races, especially down the hill on Charles St..

Old 08-15-2008, 02:15 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,808,058 times
A note about nomenclature here. Federal Hill used to describe the area on the hill, east of Light Street, and not quite reaching up to Fort Avenue. Thus, Charles Street was not in Federal Hill but South Baltimore. The area west of Hanover Street was known as Leadenhall.
None of this was cast in stone. Noaways the real estate industry -- and residents -- tend to lump everything together.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:32 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,146 times
i've lived in federal hill (techinically I think it is actually "riverside" but as posted above its all lumped together now) near the border with locust point for about 2 months now. its pretty nice, safety isn't a huge issue although i would definately lock your doors and not leave anything visible in your car (the one night i forgot and left my GPS visible in the car, it was stolen by the next morning). overall, its a pretty good mix of young people living with roommates, yuppy couples with & without young kids (which I suppose is where I would place myself), and families that have lived in the neighborhood forever but probably couldn't really afford to move in there now.

parking is difficult, we have a space in the alley behind our rowhouse which makes a huge difference, I think I'd be much less happy if I had to street park every day.

it's a pretty white neighborhood... there are some minorities but I don't think its diverse. i don't think minorities would be "unwelcome" but being white myself, maybe I'm not the best person to ask. The further west you go, the more diverse it gets but I think that part is a little sketchier as well.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:15 PM

22 posts, read 124,167 times
For what it's worth, I'm Asian and I live in Federal Hill.

I've only been here for a few weeks and so far the area does seem predominantly white, but it's not like you'll be shunned. The area is populated with young professionals, moreso the ones who have recently graduated it seems, so if that's the kind of atmosphere you're looking for, then Federal Hill is good.

From, what I've heard, Canton and Fells Point are also nice but for a slightly older crowd.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:11 PM

757 posts, read 2,554,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylisticform View Post
From, what I've heard, Canton and Fells Point are also nice but for a slightly older crowd.
I've always heard the opposite, but maybe things have changed. It does seem like a lot of the Fells Pt. dive/college bars have turned into yuppie/white tablecloth joints while the formerly cozy bars in Fed Hill have expanded.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:00 PM

866 posts, read 2,628,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_d View Post
I've always heard the opposite, but maybe things have changed. It does seem like a lot of the Fells Pt. dive/college bars have turned into yuppie/white tablecloth joints while the formerly cozy bars in Fed Hill have expanded.
I would agree with this assessment; I've been enjoying Fells Point more recently than I did when I was fresh out of school. Fells Point is feeling some influence from the Harbor East area, with its upscale restaurants. Many of the places in Federal Hill seem to cater to the just-out-of-college crowd. But there are still great places to eat, shop, and enjoy in each of these neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore