Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2008, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,265 times

Advertisements

Any information on Commercial/ Retail/ Industrial/ Real Estate trends in any of the ten neighborhoods surrounding the West Baltimore MARC station is very useful and much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 06:40 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,407,468 times
I visited that area a few months ago because it's near a train station and I thought it might be a good place for a rental property. There were some available properties, and they looked close to the station on the map, so I wanted to visit the area. I left a bit disappointed and decided to put my money elsewhere. I thought the neighborhoods with available properties in my price range looked dirty and rundown with lots of boarded-up buildings. Having said that, I did see a couple of other people driving around and looking at houses, too.

I think it would take a concerted effort to fulfill that area's potential. It would also be difficult to get rid of the entrenched violent crime, low income housing and group treatment facilities that--knowing Baltimore Housing--are probably in the area. The train station also seemed a little remote from the residential areas, so it would be kind of an iffy walk from any of the areas that I toured.

Maybe once we legalize drugs, the area will become safer. Right now, I believe some of the areas in the vicinity are the most violent in the city. If you are brave and can get a house for under 10K as close to the station as possible, you may want to go for it. Because of the station, you will have a better chance of renting to a person who is gainfully employed even if the economy worsens.

Again, I saw some interest, but I did not see much development activity.

Hopefully that was helpful.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:54 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,810,868 times
Default My take

I think kinkytoes sums up the situation nicely.A thought occurs to me.
When the subway was constructed, everyone expected big things around the Metro stations. Along Pennsylvania Avenue, the Metro made no difference. Yes, the rent on the Kentucky Fried Chicken at North and Pennsylvania was astronomical, butit had no inkblot effect. All the other corners were dismal. Similarly it may be that the MARC will have as little effect on the surrounding West Baltimore neighborhood as it has to this point, which is nil.
These are tough neighborhoods. Not tough in physical sense but because they are in the grips of an uncertain transition. Rosemont and a few blocks along Fayette Street were stable middle-class domiciles of African Americans who started moving there in the late 1940s and early 1950s. Those pioneers are disappearing now quickly, and that has an impact on the neighborhood. Renters replace homeowners.
I'd like to be optimistic about the area. Someone will make money there eventually -- particularly if the planned development connected with the red line miraculously takes place. But in a marketplace full of risks this area's risks seem greater than in many other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: