Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2008, 01:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,071 times

Advertisements

I live in the White Marsh area but am moving into the city to be closer to my job.

I found a nice house on Port Street (between Fairmount and Baltimore) that I am considering renting. I've driven around a little on the block I would live on and the few surrounding blocks during the day and at night, and the area seems OK. However, the police department's online crime map shows a lot of activity. I am just curious about what people on this forum think of that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 07:31 AM

17 posts, read 54,943 times
Correction, this area was sketchy about five years ago. I live a couple of blocks over on Lakewood Ave, and I
have never felt unsafe. Now, my wife's vehicle was broken in to, and our XM radio was stolen, but, I was stupid and left my XM radio in the car, in plain view, on the dash. My wife's car was broken in to in Cincinnati Ohio, too, so what can you do. This kind of petty theft is at nearly epedemic levels, and impacts even the smallest towns. It is also avoidable, if you are responcible,and, though it sucks, it won't kill you. What you want to avoid in Baltimore is the kind of crime that can kill you, namely a lot of drug/gang/violent activvity. You won't find that south of Fayette St in Patterson Park these days; I live here; I should know. Patterson Park has an active neighborhood association, the PPNA (see http://www.pattersonparkneighbors.org. for more info) and this helps. When ever you can band together a neighborhood of home owners that really care about their property and the future of the place they call home, you have began a path to greatness. Patterson Park is well on its way down this path.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:38 AM

201 posts, read 590,064 times
Ditto. I live on Lombard, just west of the park. The area isn't perfect, but if you use common sense, it is safe.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:25 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,600,083 times
I agree. I am really happy with my decision to live in Patterson Park. The biggest issue would be car break-ins but to be honest, I wouldn't let my valuables sit in a car for people to see in the White Marsh area either. It has a better chance of being broken into in the city but it does happen elsewhere too. I have been in the area for over three years now and haven't had any problems. If anything, even with the housing market, I think it has improved in the time I have been here. When I first moved here, the ladies would be working Baltimore Street but I am even seeing less of that lately. Maybe the economy?? Not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore