Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 11,211 times

Advertisements

hello All

I am new in Owings Mills, MD and i need to commute to Alexandria VA.for my job. Is there any suggestion. I was checking MARC tain, it does not go to Alexandria directly. Please if some one help me. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 09:01 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,637 times
Default I feel sorry for you

I'm afraid there is no easy way to do. You could patch something together but it would take hours. Like Owings Mills by Metro to Camden Station, then MARC to Union Station , Metro to Alexandria. But your job probably would be nowhere near a Metro stop.
Commuting by car is a nightmare. It's one of the worst commutes imaginable. You have to navigate the D.C. beltway during peak hours and then the notorious Wilson Bridge.
A neighbor of mine (Cheswolde, near Mount Washington) tried to do it by car. He ended up renting a room somewhere and stays overnight there three nights a week.
If your job is good and lating and your situation in Owings Mills flexibile, I would strongly advise moving.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:16 PM

72 posts, read 448,319 times
I suggest you drive to the Halethorpe MARC station, and then take MARC to Union Station. Metro in to Alexandria from there. Hopefully your job isn't that far from a DC metro station. I'd also suggest you leave early since the traffic on 695 gets pretty bad moving in that direction during rush hour.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:05 AM

33 posts, read 113,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeenono View Post
hello All

I am new in Owings Mills, MD and i need to commute to Alexandria VA.for my job. Is there any suggestion. I was checking MARC tain, it does not go to Alexandria directly. Please if some one help me. Thanks
All I have to say is OUCH! I commuted for Baltimore City to Gaithersburg, and 95 to 495 to 270 was a nightmare. You have to go around 695 to 95 to 495..EEEEEeeekk..

I hope they are paying you out of your nose to make that commute. I quit my job because of the commute.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:11 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,287 times
If you leave the Baltimore area around 5:30am, you can drive there pretty easy unless there is a really unusual situation going on. My wife occasionally has to drive to Dulles area or McLean for meetings/training. Getting home however is a disaster unless you leave before 2pm or after like 8pm.

Public transit options would be taking MARC to union station and transfering to Metro which isn't exactly easy to do.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:09 PM

6 posts, read 22,891 times
Hi. I worked in Silver Spring, Washington DC and Northern VA, each for different amounts of time. I found it convient to just Drive the route. 695-70-29-495 to Northern VA. It takes so much time up to catch the public transportation systems and you are restricted to opening and closing times. I drove everyday for over 18 years and never regretted it. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore