Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 01:03 PM

29 posts, read 108,702 times

Advertisements

I live in Northeast Florida (relocated here 2 1/2 years ago from Connecticut) but I'm considering a move to Baltimore.

We have a house we'd have to sell, so we would have some cash to put down (although it probably won't be put on the market for quite some time).

I work in publishing and my husband is a chef, although he's looking to change careers. We have never made a lot of money, so housing would have to be very cheap.

Are there any decent neighborhoods where you can buy a row house for around $100,000? I know the market is changing rapidly right now. Any industrial, urban type of setting would be fine, as long as the crime level isn't unbearable.

Photos of neighborhoods are also appreciated, as well as any information you can give us on the job market.

Thanks!

Last edited by dunsere; 02-17-2009 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: updating title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 05:15 PM

234 posts, read 1,063,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunsere View Post
Are there any decent neighborhoods where you can buy a row house for around $100,000? I know the market is changing rapidly right now. Any industrial, urban type of setting would be fine, as long as the crime level isn't unbearable.
If crime is a concern, any neighborhood with $100k homes is out of the question.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:01 AM

258 posts, read 1,011,728 times
100k is completely out of the question..if you want to buy.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:49 AM

805 posts, read 2,116,532 times
You can get a shell in a decent area but that's probably it.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:57 AM

That's pretty discouraging. I've also been doing some research and found that Baltimore is about No. 6 out of the 100 most dangerous cities in the US. We live close to Jacksonville, Fla., and we thought THAT was bad ... but Jacksonville ranks about No. 80.

So, you're saying there's no hope whatsoever, even if we go up to about $120,000? We don't mind an African-American neighborhood (we live in one now that is pretty much crime-free, but it's also a small town.)

Old 02-20-2009, 02:17 PM

29 posts, read 98,548 times
If you are willing to buy a rowhome for 100k in baltimore get ready to have neighbors like drug dealers, junkies and prostitutes.

For a safe bet, try 300K

and in all fairness, Maryland is EXPENSIVE.

My wife and i are from here, and unless you dont live in an upity neighborhood, its not going to be good... u should move to texas... cheaper housing better quality of life...

you can buy a decent house in plano in a good neighborhood for about 120K

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunsere View Post
I live in Northeast Florida (relocated here 2 1/2 years ago from Connecticut) but I'm considering a move to Baltimore.

We have a house we'd have to sell, so we would have some cash to put down (although it probably won't be put on the market for quite some time).

I work in publishing and my husband is a chef, although he's looking to change careers. We have never made a lot of money, so housing would have to be very cheap.

Photos of neighborhoods are also appreciated, as well as any information you can give us on the job market.

Thanks!

Old 02-20-2009, 03:50 PM

260 posts, read 843,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badr View Post
If you are willing to buy a rowhome for 100k in baltimore get ready to have neighbors like drug dealers, junkies and prostitutes.

For a safe bet, try 300K

and in all fairness, Maryland is EXPENSIVE.

My wife and i are from here, and unless you dont live in an upity neighborhood, its not going to be good... u should move to texas... cheaper housing better quality of life...

you can buy a decent house in plano in a good neighborhood for about 120K
As others have said, if you want to buy a house in a decent neighborhood, it's going to cost at least $200,000. This being said, don't listen to badr, there are plenty of nice areas in Baltimore.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:00 PM

757 posts, read 2,555,268 times
If you have a good opportunity in Baltimore, why not rent for a while until you get a feel for the area? House prices here haven't fallen nearly as much as other parts of the country and still could (and probably will) go down a bit more.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:20 AM

Sorry badr, Texas is out... I spent a week around Houston/San Antonio, and it was the ugliest place I've ever seen. I'm aware that most of the deep South has cheaper housing, but we don't care for the conservative culture. This place (Fernandina Beach) is beautiful, but dead.

Thanks for all your responses, however.

What about Pigtown? Is is a little more affordable?

Old 02-23-2009, 02:26 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,602,502 times
If you and your husband are willing to do some work on a home, you should be able to find one for 100 grand in a decent neighborhood. But, that means rehabbing. If you are planning a three to five year stay, you would probably end up making money on the deal.
Your husband is possibly thinking of a new career?? Well, you found it. rehabbing your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: