Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 03:53 PM

22 posts, read 55,913 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I am in Seattle, seeking some compare and contrast for Seattle and Baltimore. I am moving for my relationship, and never been there. My partner has never been here, so we are having a hard time trying to paint a good picture off how life would be the same/different for me. Im in the hotel industry, late 20's, gay, black, no degree,middle of the road for political views, and not so religious....Just some background info on me.

Some of the things I love about seattle is the diversity, scenery, decent economy, and overall quality of life. Anyone who has lived in or visited both places, I would love to hear some feedback. No particular questions....just your two cents. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 12:44 PM

460 posts, read 1,876,657 times
My sister in law used to live in Mt. Vernon and we've been to Seattle. I also have a good friend that I went to school with through 8th grade that lives in the city of Seattle. Very, very beautiful. Loved it; for me, i could not take all the rain (though that is why it is so lush and clean) but I can see the appeal.

I've never lived in baltimore but grew up about 25 miles south of it in Silver Spring. I don't know much about Baltimore as far as living there- there is a Baltimore forum you might want to try posting your original post in.. The input you gave about yourself, I think you'd fare well in Baltimore. Maryland is very liberal and the Montgomery County/Baltimore City/PG County areas tend to drive the state in terms of politics (which are very liberal). Needless to say, there are a million hotels around here due to the proximity to DC and Baltimore is a tourist destination in itself.

What about your partner - how would you describe him in terms of his "background info?"

one thing I can tell you is that it is very expensive to live here but so is Seattle so that would not be a shock for you. But in Maryland, you will be taxed to death on just about everything.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:21 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times
I have! I have been to Microsoft-land just outside of Seattle and inside Seattle proper. I think Seattle is probably safer and more affluent, other than that it did remind me of Baltimore a little. Like a "fake" Baltimore. Baltimore has a lot of grit and flavor. The city has a rich art and music scene, probably because we have a lot of well-trained under-employed artists. If you're into that type of thing, post in the Baltimore forum to check out places to live. I went to an Ethiopian restaurant in Seattle and the seaport for some salmon. Other than that I was in the suburbs. It's pretty much the same, overbuilt and overpriced in our suburbs here. And the previous poster was right, MD taxes are a killer. The government thinks they have to pay for everything, so they tax the crap out of those who can afford to pay. IMO I personally think the food is WAY better in Baltimore. I've eaten in Mount Vernon and Federal Hill mostly. I miss the restaurants a lot. I think NY in general has more consistently good food, but Baltimore has some delicious eats and really superb restaurants. I think that's because there is a culinary college downtown, maybe.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:29 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
Live in Baltimore but I have been to Seattle numerous times (folks lived in the northwest for awhile). I find Seattle to be more scenic and natural. Baltimore is much more dense. However, I prefer Baltimore. I love the distinct four seasons although I must admit, loved vacationing in Seattle in the summertime. Baltimore is HOT and HUMID. We have a number of public markets here. The economy is brighter here than most of the states.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:11 PM

22 posts, read 55,913 times
Thanks for all the input so far. It has been helpful! Additional responses are always welcome.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:59 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
I live in Seattle but spent a lot of time in Baltimore. I like both places, but there are some real differences. Baltimore is a lot older, and it's bad neighborhoods are far worse than Seattle's.
Politically, both cities are pretty liberal, but Seattle does things like sign on to the Kyoto protocols. Baltimore has a larger African American population, Seattle has a larger gay population. Baltimore is sunnier, especially from September-May. Seattle has much nicer summers and more majestic scenery. Baltimore has more places to get good food for less money. Seattle has a younger population. Seattle folk will mostly disagree with me, but Chesapeake Bay crabs are tastier than Dungeness.
Seattle has a lot more grey, drizzly days. Baltimore has a lot more hot, humid days.
Seattle has a number of neighborhoods that are vaguely reminiscent of Fells Point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore