Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 03:35 PM

142 posts, read 538,267 times

Advertisements

Hello, I recently moved to Columbia, MD. My dad is coming to visit and I want to take him to Baltimore for 2-3 hours. Of course, I want to show him the most charming areas. I'm not very familiar with Baltimore. I think I want to include a stop at Lexington Market....and Fells Point?...maybe?? I think driving by Inner Harbor will suffice, no? Where should I park and take him? He can't do too much walking. If I want to go to both Fells Point or Inner Harbor and Lexington Market, will I have to drive? I don't think its a short walk. Urghhh. Any advice is greatly appreciated!! What would you show a visitor and where would you park? (No guided tours--doing a boat tour in Annapolis)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 04:32 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,600,083 times
I would start by driving him to Fort McHenry. Make sure you watch the film that goes with it. That will give him some perspective. Then take him up Fort to Federal Hill and walk through Cross Street Market. Perhaps, if he can, walk him up to the top of Federal Hill overlooking the Inner Harbor. Then, a quick drive to Lexington Market. Park in the garage next to the market and try to get him to Faidleys to check out the seafood. Then drive him to Fells Point and walk around the square. That would be about three hours. Extras: a drive up Charles is always nice, especially around Mt. Vernon and maybe a right on Mt Royal for a quick tour of the homes of Bolton Hill.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:54 PM

805 posts, read 2,116,093 times
I would add going to Canton after Fells Point and checking out O'Donnell Square and the water front.

Pictures of Canton
Baltimore: A Walk Around Canton - SkyscraperCity

In Mt. Vernon I would stop at Mount Vernon Place and get coffee or tea.

3 hours isn't a lot of time but maybe enough to cruise around different areas. You will get an idea of all the different stuff there is to do here.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:47 PM

757 posts, read 2,554,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Extras: a drive up Charles is always nice, especially around Mt. Vernon and maybe a right on Mt Royal for a quick tour of the homes of Bolton Hill.
jonjj, I think you meant a left on Mt. Royal if you're heading north on Charles--otherwise you'll end up back downtown via Guilford. Driving through Mt. Vernon is definitely a must-see. Hopefully the city will finish resurfacing the road within this decade.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_d View Post
jonjj, I think you meant a left on Mt. Royal if you're heading north on Charles--otherwise you'll end up back downtown via Guilford. Driving through Mt. Vernon is definitely a must-see. Hopefully the city will finish resurfacing the road within this decade.

Thanks. Yep-you're right. Oops I mean left.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:17 AM

569 posts, read 1,443,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badchoice View Post
Take him on a quick (and I mean quick) ride down the length of North Ave. just to get some prospective. Venture off onto some side streets once you get on the East side. It's lovely.

Ghetto America: Baltimore, Maryland

Old 05-20-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post

That web site has the same tired old pics that have been bouncing around the web for the past three years. I mean, if you want to go out and photograph the hood, at least show some creativity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore