Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:48 PM

8 posts, read 53,706 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move back to MD from FL. We used to live in Baltimore County before we moved to FL however now that we are moving back (with kids), we are considering Howard County primarily because it is truly diverse and has great school system. I need some advice on the best neighborhoods. We will probably be renting for a year or two in a single family or townhouse community - what are the best areas with the best schools. I have one son who will be in Kindergarten in 2010 and the other will be in preschool. Looking for true diversity - mix of ethnicities in neighborhoods would be ideal as I grew up in that type of environment and it has added to my appreciation of all cultures and I never feel out of place wherever I go.Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 07:15 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,019 times
I don't think you'll really get the diversity you're looking for in Columbia compared to Baltimore County or City.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:22 PM

I lived in Baltimore County for about 8 years and I didn't really consider it all that diverse. Either you were white or black in terms of race, but I didn't notice a lot of other cultures. Friends of mine that grew up in Columbia always comended the diversity in the schools although there may be a majority - there is a good representation of African American, Caribbean, Asian, European and other cultures. Is that incorrect?

Old 01-01-2010, 10:30 AM

332 posts, read 1,280,193 times
Columbia is very racially, economically, and culturally diverse.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 14,974 times
It all depends on where you live in Columbia. Being born and raised there it is very diverse and integrated some villages more than others. The most diverse villages would be Owen Brown, Long Reach, Wilde Lake, Oakland Mills, Harpers Choice. Majority of Columbia is white though these neighborhoods have highest African American population in the city as well as growing Latino population, Korean, Indian and others. Most people are middle to upper middle class in Columbia and there some section 8 apartment complexes the most diverse areas/villages of Columbia Have all income (mostly upper-middle class) and racial backgrounds in each neighborhood.Areas such as River Hill and Dorsey’s Search tend to be less diverse but in Columbia no matter what neighborhood you’re in there is always someone of another ethnicity or culture.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:33 PM

FYI, I found Dorsey Search to be fairly diverse, at least on the Columbia side. River Hill is least diverse, although it depends on what you mean by diverse. River Hill has a larger than normal Asian population.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:19 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,179 times
I worked in Columbia for years, and compared to Baltimore City Columbia is more diverse. Although the Latino population has grown in recent years, Baltimore City remains divided into black and white neighborhoods with fairly little overmixing, other than certain designated "diverse" communities such as Reservoir Hill.

Columbia, however, had far more intermixing of races living side by side, very much carrying out Jim Rouse's vision of a post-racial, harmonious environment. If you do some research on Rouse you will discover how remarkable his vision was and how successful Columbia was in attracting people of all color and faith.

The rest of Howard County is less diverse than Columbia, with the exception of a large and growing Asian population in Ellicott City.

To the original poster: all of Columbia's villages are comfortable places to live. Oakland Mills and Long Reach have the largest number of section 8 residents (welfare vouchers for housing), and there has been some issues with crime / drugs issues among these residents in the apartment blocks, but it is not perceived as a racial problem but a socio-economic problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
I don't think you'll really get the diversity you're looking for in Columbia compared to Baltimore County or City.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:02 AM

Thank you all for the replies, this information is extremely helpful.. so can someone tell me the difference between Dorsey Search, Owens Brown, Wilde Lake or Harpers Choice. Location, schools, home types. We would probably rent a townhome first before looking to buy however I would like to keep the kids in the same school when we decide to purchase. I will be in the area on Monday for a short time, so I would like to scope out potential areas.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:59 PM

FYI, HoCo schools do not feed by city/town or neighborhood so definitely triple check the schools as you proceed. Also, HoCo is planning on redistricting in 2010.

In general I'm partial to the neighborhoods close to 108, they seem quieter and nicer but IMO Columbia has a lot of nice neighborhoods and it is hard to know all of them because they are so different and a lot of them run into each other, so you can turn the corner and be in another village.

Dorsey Search (Fairway Hills) - Columbia - townhomes and apts. abutting golf course, close to 29 and 108. Very nice community, you will need to drive or bus it everywhere... not really walkable to a village center.

Dorsey Search (Dorsey Hall)- EC - townhomes and SFH, new townhomes currently being built across from the village center. One of the nicer village centers. I believe this area is districted to EC elementary and middle schools and Wild Lake HS.

Harpers Choice - 3 Neighborhoods to it, IMO it gets a bad rep but I could be biased since I recently chose to move there. Apts, townhomes and SFH, fairly new village center with a sportspark and gym. From what I have read 1/4 of Columbia's section 8 residents live in HC which is why I think it gets a bad rep plus I think it had some problems in the past. Personally I like it and have not had any problems, and I see all sorts of people out and about. IMO, if you chose to rent an apt in Columbia or EC do your homework alot of the problems in this area is centered around the apts and village centers (which in general are near each other). Most of the problems are centered around crimes of opportiunity, if you leave your garage, car, apt unlocked someone will try to enter it. If you look at the police blotter it happens throught HoCo.

Harpers Choice - (Hobbits Glen) - Townhomes and SFH surrounded by Hobbits Glen golf course, quiet neighborhoods.

HC (Longfellow) - apts, townhomes and SFH. There are some nice large tree lined streets in this area, that make the neighborhoods look really nice.

HC(Swansfield) - apts, townhomes and SFH. I'm partial to Longfellow and Hobbits Glen, they seem quieter and less busy. Swansfield gets too close to the Hospital for me but the Elementary School is right there as well which could be a plus. Also, close to the pool`

Wild Lake - The first village hence with older homes, nice lake. It has apt, townhomes and SFH. Village center has a big swim park but no supermarket. They are looking at redeveloping this area.

WL -Running Brook - is really nice. I believe it goes from Dorsey Search(fairway hills area) to 108. Very nice tree lined neighborhood, you can walk to Cenntennial park from the ones closer to 108.

Definitely research crime and schools because it changes block by block. Stats on schools vary a lot in this are but it is mainly because demographics, some schools have a lot of reduce lunch kids while others do not. All the schools teach from the same materials so, to me, as long as it safe, your child will have the same opportunities as anyone else in the county. Also the graduation and college rates at a lot of the schools are similar regardless of the demographics.

Good Luck.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:09 PM

Also you can live in Columbia and not live in a village (on CA land - great big HOA). If you live on CA protected land you get to pay a special tax but you can use the pools and sportspark but they cost extra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore