Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:57 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,446,995 times

Advertisements

Baltimore has a thriving music scene (of all types), art galleries and an art scene revolving around a fairly well known art school. I know plenty of people who are active in the arts scene and while no one claims Baltimore compares with New York or Washington, Baltimore does have much to offer. It is what you make of it (just as an acquaintance I once met who lived in New York and claimed to never have set foot inside the Met).

I doubt Baltimore has food to offer that you won't find in Houston except perhaps for crab cakes. There are numerous excellent restaurants in Baltimoreand a booming dining scene compared to a decade ago, but nothing utterly distinctive to Baltimore except Faidley's in Lexington Market for the crabcakes (Faidley's crabcakes are unique, however, and not necessarily representative of the typical crabcakes elsewhere, and Lexington Market itself is a mixed bag). Baltimore is sadly lacking when it comes to street food, and you won't find the Mexican, Tex-Mex or Vietnamese scene of Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 08:47 AM

152 posts, read 487,478 times
There's a Peruvian Restaurant in Upper Fells that serves Guinea Pig. I've had it and it tastes just like chicken.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:10 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,592,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texx View Post
oh and one more thing. Me and my wife luv trying new food and we dont want to eat anything on our trip we can simply get in Houston. What do u guys recommend for good Baltimore eats? Any particular restaurants we must go to?

1.Go to Faidley's in Lexington Market or Cross Street Market.
2.Go to Berthas in Fells Point for their mussels.
3.Samos in Greektown on Oldham Street. But, get there early to avoid the crowds.

These are unique to Baltimore.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:56 PM

206 posts, read 472,489 times
Check out the Helmand in Mount Vernon for some good Afghan. Maybe say hi to the owner, who is Hamid Karzai's brother.

There are also a few Ethiopian joints (not sure if you get those in Houston) though they won't compare to the ones in DC.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:20 PM

51 posts, read 121,901 times
What restaurant is this? I had a professor who once said if you ever tasted guinea pig you'd never consider keeping one as a pet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atariwhizkid View Post
There's a Peruvian Restaurant in Upper Fells that serves Guinea Pig. I've had it and it tastes just like chicken.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:49 AM

27 posts, read 70,585 times
Default forget Baltimore

Baltimore is just about the worst city in the Northeast corridor stretching from Boston to DC. Even Philly is more exciting, and Newark at least has good access to NYC. Couldn't you find a grad school in Boston? Baltimore isn't even a good deal for rents, as the relatively nice parts are expensive. Go to NYC or Boston, expensive but much more fun. You can live in Queens for not much more than what Baltimore will end up costing you. There are parts of the Bronx that'll cost the same as Baltimore and are actually a lot nicer.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:18 AM

775 posts, read 1,784,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc01 View Post
What restaurant is this? I had a professor who once said if you ever tasted guinea pig you'd never consider keeping one as a pet.
If it's the one I've been to it's on Eastern just about a block east of Broadway. It's actaully an Ecuadoran restaurant. You have to order the guinea pig in advance, but they also have great nanny goat stew.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:49 PM

51 posts, read 121,901 times
^^Thanks!

Old 03-16-2010, 11:38 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,446,995 times
You can easily order mussels and Greek food in any city in the US.

But Faidley's crabcakes are unique even if they are not representative of the Maryland crabcakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
1.Go to Faidley's in Lexington Market or Cross Street Market.
2.Go to Berthas in Fells Point for their mussels.
3.Samos in Greektown on Oldham Street. But, get there early to avoid the crowds.

These are unique to Baltimore.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:02 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTony View Post
Baltimore is just about the worst city in the Northeast corridor stretching from Boston to DC. Even Philly is more exciting, and Newark at least has good access to NYC.
Depends on the perspective. I've been in the process of identifying my top places to retire for the past 3 or 4 years, and if I were to retire in the NE corridor, I would choose Baltimore EASY. For one, your money goes the farthest BY FAR when it comes to owning/purchasing a home. It also has plenty of outdoor recreation amenities, particularly pedestrian trails/paths and parks (not that the other cities don't, but just that B does). Downtown is a destination people would want to go (again not that the other cities' downtowns aren't but just that B's is). And you get quick access TO some of those other cities- DC in what, less than an hour and Philadelphia in what, an hour and a half? Day trips either way. And the weather is IMMENSELY better than Boston, and considerably better than NYC. You can enjoy the outdoors for a greater portion of the year.

So for a city that has nice outdoor recreational amenities and the ability to enjoy it for more of the year, a nice downtown, arts and music, professional sports in the city itself, close proximity to a couple of highly rated big cities AND an affordable cost of living that enables a person's dollar to go a lot farther (even if you purchase a home not far from the city center), Baltimore is just about the BEST city in the northeast corridor stretching from Boston to DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore