Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 03:00 PM

55 posts, read 99,530 times

Advertisements

I'm asking this so I would know if doing a search online such as jobs, rentals, car repair, etc, where I would need to put in a zip code to see which business and companies are near by that I would know which zip codes to avoid. Which zip codes are better off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 03:11 PM

569 posts, read 1,441,795 times
Don't really know off hand all the bad zipcodes, but I can tell you which neighborhoods to avoid. Actually it would be easier to tell you which neighborhoods are ok because the bad ones outnumber the good ones by a large margin.

Roland Park
Homeland
Lake Walker
Lake Evsham
Cedarcroft
Poplar Hill
Original Northwood
Windhurst
Cross Keys
Mt Washington
Cheswolde
Cross County
Fallstaff
Medfield
Hoes Heights
Hampden
Woodberry
Bolton Hill
Charles Village
Guilford
Lauraville
Hamilton
Overlea
Beverly Hills
Arcadia
Mayfield
Canton
Highlandtown
Patterson Park (aka Baltimore-Linwood)
Federal Hill
Fells Pt
Mt Vernon
Little Italy
Hunting Ridge
West Hills
Ten Hills
Westgate

Last edited by ToneGrail; 05-12-2010 at 03:21 PM..

Old 05-12-2010, 04:31 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
Don't really know off hand all the bad zipcodes, but I can tell you which neighborhoods to avoid. Actually it would be easier to tell you which neighborhoods are ok because the bad ones outnumber the good ones by a large margin.

Roland Park
Homeland
Lake Walker
Lake Evsham
Cedarcroft
Poplar Hill
Original Northwood
Windhurst
Cross Keys
Mt Washington
Cheswolde
Cross County
Fallstaff
Medfield
Hoes Heights
Hampden
Woodberry
Bolton Hill
Charles Village
Guilford
Lauraville
Hamilton
Overlea
Beverly Hills
Arcadia
Mayfield
Canton
Highlandtown
Patterson Park (aka Baltimore-Linwood)
Federal Hill
Fells Pt
Mt Vernon
Little Italy
Hunting Ridge
West Hills
Ten Hills
Westgate

I would definitely add Butchers Hill to the list. Also, downtown has quite a few options.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:43 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
Whatever the zip code/neighborhood that is immediately north or northeast of Johns Hopkins Hospital (not the university, the hospital) is definitely a zip code you want to avoid, even during daylight hours.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:45 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,637 times
Default My 2 cents

Ain't none of my business, but I would die of boredom if I tried to live in Baltimore avoiding certain zip codes.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:55 AM

36 posts, read 92,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
Ain't none of my business, but I would die of boredom if I tried to live in Baltimore avoiding certain zip codes.
Better death by boredom than stabbing, rape, gun shot wound, etc.....

Old 05-13-2010, 11:58 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,904,323 times
There's ample reason why the military has its trauma surgeons train in Baltimore before being sent off to Iraq and Afganistan:

Quote:
By Kimberley Dozier -- CBS NEWS

Veterans of all U.S. wars will be honored on Tuesday as America celebrates Veterans' Day, and with two wars still underway, military doctors are improving their ability to care for wounded veterans.

CBS Evening News correspondent Kimberly Dozier, who suffered traumatic injuries covering the war in Iraq, reports on a special training program for military trauma surgeons.

On the battlefield in Iraq, saving wounded soldiers takes technology, training, and speed.

Those rescue methods are perfected here on the home front, in Baltimore, Md. From car crashes, to drug turf battles, this is America's war zone at home.

The military sends young surgeons like Dr. Lori Caloia here to the Shock Trauma Center - before sending them to Iraq.

"It just basically gets us into the mindset of how you're supposed to think," Caloia says. "How a trauma surgeon thinks."

Here, they learn to race against the clock, Dozier reports. They've got what's called a "golden hour" to save the patient - it's a clock that starts ticking the moment the patient is hurt. After that hour, shock sets in, and the body starts shutting down - the major organs failing.

"This is essentially trauma boot camp for young military surgeons and a master class for those who have already been in the field," reports Dozier. "About half the doctors who operated on me from Baghdad to Bethesda, did a stint here in Baltimore."

Dr. Jeff Johnson served as the chief trauma surgeon in Balad when I passed through there, Dozier says. He performed more than 560 surgeries in a single year.

"The level of violence that is leveled at mankind in a war, you can't prepare for that," Johnson says.

He keeps up the same pace here - Shock Trauma gets about 30 patients a day.

In her three weeks here, Dr. Caloia's team will end up treating 150 patients - she will be personally responsible for thirty of them.

The pace matches a combat hospital - but that's still different than seeing your fellow troops injured, and in need.

"I think the hardest thing is actually seeing those soldiers in uniform coming through the doors," Caloia says. "And knowing it's up to you to keep your cool, and fight to get them home, using everything you've learned in a place like this."
Intense Training For Military Surgeons - CBS Evening News - CBS News

Old 05-13-2010, 12:08 PM

25 posts, read 75,156 times
First there was "The City that Bleeds" (The City That Reads), then "Behave" (Believe), now Balmer has bought a new slogan..."Baltimore- Find Your Happy Place" or maybe, Baltimore - Find Your Trigger-Happy Place. These slogans change everything for the better. Can't wait for all the improvements that surely will result!

Old 05-13-2010, 12:24 PM

108 posts, read 307,488 times
I often have to travel to the far reaches of the city on business. Places like Oliver, Greenmount West, and deep into West Baltimore. Sometimes my work even requires me to walk streets on foot. Last week I had to walk about 10 blocks on North Ave - and not the good section between MICA and Charles North.

I've never encountered any problems. Granted, I walk during the day, but the most I've encountered are people begging for money or a teenager asking about job oppportunities. I'm not saying I recommend walking around these areas without a purpose, but I think the fear mongering and hyperbole on this forum is unwarrented - especially if you're only driving through these neighborhoods during the day.

Folks living in even the hardest, roughest neighborhoods are more similiar to yourself than you realize. The gangbangers and other criminals destroy their communities as well as their neighborhood's reputation, but these people make up a small minority of all the folks who live in these places.

Painting broad sections of the city as "bad" and calling for them to be "avoided at all times" is disingenous and unfair to many honest, hard working people who still call these places home - despite the deplorable conditions these neighborhoods are in.

Perhaps traveling to the other side of the tracks every now and then will broaden your perspective.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:57 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajacksb View Post
Painting broad sections of the city as "bad" and calling for them to be "avoided at all times" is disingenous and unfair to many honest, hard working people who still call these places home - despite the deplorable conditions these neighborhoods are in.

Perhaps traveling to the other side of the tracks every now and then will broaden your perspective.
There's a difference between neighborhoods that are beat up but actually have people living in them and neighborhoods that have a large percentage of boarded up houses and buildings. The former are fine if you minding your own business, in part because there are people around. The latter are worrisome because there are few people around and the area is rough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: