Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:27 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,038,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post

Baltimore residents seem to have a very strong attachment to the past, and I understand the sentiment, but why aren't entire blocks being razed so modern housing can be built? I know there's a 'historical property' tax credit most people try to get, but is it really worth it?
Because old houses are cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 11:35 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,769,046 times
Quote:
Baltimore residents seem to have a very strong attachment to the past, and I understand the sentiment, but why aren't entire blocks being razed so modern housing can be built? I know there's a 'historical property' tax credit most people try to get, but is it really worth it?
Because demolishing history and culture should never be looked highly upon

Old 07-13-2010, 12:16 PM

239 posts, read 760,038 times
So, the building that collapsed on Eastern out of nowhere was history and culture? Brick homes do not have an indefinite lifetime. 150 years in the Baltimore humidity. In 2050, you're going to have to rebuild them whether you like it or not.

There's one thread focusing on energy costs, and another that's now about not tearing down old, inefficient houses.

Does no one see the connection? You could put up far more energy efficient housing.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:33 PM

81 posts, read 176,029 times
Quote:
A

Some of the reasons people are attracted to Baltimore is for its historic architecture, culture, and history. There is really no way to define the charm in "Charm City" when talking about Baltimore. Sometimes I like to drive up to Baltimore during the day and look at the diverse architecture and the variety of neighborhoods the city offers. It’s very stimulating to look at, much more so than driving around and seeing a typical new and modern dwelling in a suburb or modern city. You have to admire the detail and craftsmanship of architects and homebuilders of the past. These older homes and neighborhoods once restored have a greater value in my opinion than anything modern, and look way better too.

There are many new developments in Baltimore, some completely new and modern around Bolton Hill and MICA, and some that are renovated older properties like Silo Point in Locust Point.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/de/Silo_Point.jpg/400px-Silo_Point.jpg (broken link) Silo Point

Old 07-13-2010, 12:40 PM

There's nothing diverse about street after street of 2-3 story brick and formstone rowhomes. Seriously.

That argument is tired, and wrong.

If I blindfolded you and dropped you off in any quadrant of the city proper with no street signs, you'd be hard pressed to tell me where you were.

My point is, you can only restore an old home so much. I like old, cool stuff as much as the next guy, but this pointless attachment to the past is what's holding this city back. Then again, I see people perfectly happy w/ living in the past, and in fact, the locals take great pride in not moving forward and developing the city. "This is the way I like it, and I'm not changing" is okay for the folks of this city. It's not for me.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:59 PM

81 posts, read 176,029 times
Quote:
There's nothing diverse about street after street of 2-3 story brick and formstone rowhomes. *Seriously. *

That argument is tired, and wrong.

If I blindfolded you and dropped you off in any quadrant of the city proper with no street signs, you'd be hard pressed to tell me where you were.

My point is, you can only restore an old home so much. *I like old, cool stuff as much as the next guy, but this pointless attachment to the past is what's holding this city back. *Then again, I see people perfectly happy w/ living in the past, and in fact, the locals take great pride in not moving forward and developing the city. *"This is the way I like it, and I'm not changing" is okay for the folks of this city. *It's not for me.
I misinterpreted what you were saying...but what I said has some truth...I have ran into a few Baltimoreans that are stuck in the past but they're usually older. *They talk about Baltimore in the 70s when they had yellow rock salt boxes on the corner or how people use to wash their marble stairs. *I look at those people and like what??? *They love those tiny homes that need so much renovation that you would be better off knocking it down and building something new. *The dillapidated houses are eyesores and Baltimore has blocks and blocks of them. *Yes, if you dropped me off way east of Highlandtown or way north on broadway you're right I wouldn't know where I would be. *Those homes look alike and they suck who cares about the marble stairs . * Tearing them down and starting from scratch would be a better looking selling point to developers than trying to restore the old homes. *(Yeah federal hill and locust point have the same style of homes but they're on the water and are closer to downtown).*

Old 07-13-2010, 03:03 PM

Thank you for your reply You totally see my point.

I am totally against tearing down functioning, worthy homes. The ones that are in shambles need to go! If you want to maintain the style of Baltimore (which is really similar to London, imho), then do what a lot of builders are doing... go to a modern frame, with modern insulation, and a brick facade. Load bearing brick has seen it's day. It's dangerous and irresponsible to continue renovating those buildings.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:33 PM

Luckily your wishes of demolishing them all will only come true in small numbers kennyp

Old 07-13-2010, 03:35 PM

Would you really prefer blocks of boarded up, uninhabitable rowhomes over modern, affordable duplexes and apartments?

Old 07-13-2010, 03:57 PM

Yes, I would prefer to keep Baltimore's heritage rich instead of becoming a Charlotte or Phoenix.

The rows that simply can not be renovated can go. But those types are somewhat rare. Federal Hill and Patterson Park were once ghetto areas, should we demolish them too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: