Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 12:02 AM

225 posts, read 344,795 times

Advertisements

How many times your posts are read daily
Go Back City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
Reload this Page Does anyone know Maine landlord/tenant law well?
Welcome, Derp-D-Derp.
You last visited: 12-15-2013 at 09:20 AM
Direct Messages: Unread 0, Total 2.
My Status: "Check blog entrie(s) for credentials" Edit
My Settings Blogs Subscribed Forums New Posts Search Quick Links Log Out
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Derp-D-Derp, you have 216 posts. Did you consider entering our new Most Engaging Poster Contest?
You can win one of ten $500 prizes!close

Search the Web
Search
Search Forum
CloseBusiness Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for: near: Find It
Reply Start New Thread

#1 Add to Derp-D-Derp's Reputation Report Post
Old Today, 01:58 AM
Derp-D-Derp Derp-D-Derp started this thread

Status: "Check blog entrie(s) for credentials" Edit (set 1 year ago)

216 posts, read 96,770 times

Default Does anyone know Maine landlord/tenant law well?
I'm looking for some information. I currently rent a room (with rights to the whole house) in a home occupied by the landlord and one other roommate. I have a written tenancy agreement which states that all utilities (heat, hot water, air conditioning, cable tv, Internet) are included in my rent (same with other roommate). I voluntarily pay an extra $10/mo to have a cable box in my room.

Starting over the winter, the landlord starting having problems paying for heat -- we'd have space heaters going and the house would be freezing; I used a space heater in my room because it was colder than the rest of the house. Once the windows were opened for the summer, I showed her that all the storm windows had been left up and vents for heat were closed prior to my moving in -- thus costing her excess heating costs.

Now, it's summer. The house is outrageously warm. My room, without a fan, is sickeningly hot. She has started complaining (to both roommates) that her electric bill jumped $75 last month, and from now on, we are not to keep the front porch light on at night (even when we are away).

I explained to her (as nicely as possible) that if her utility bill jumped that high in a month, she should have an energy audit. I also said, that unless someone is using the dishwasher or laundry more than usual, we really aren't reasonable for her utility bills, since nothing has changed (at least in what I'm doing).

Our latest disagreement is stemming from the fact that I leave the house at 5 p.m. and return at 10 p.m. and feel I have a right to have a safe entry way when I come home. She is insisting that since it is summer and light out, it is MY responsibility to carry a FLASHLIGHT with me when I enter the home .. that there is no need for the light to be on from 5 p.m. until dark, thus costing her more money.

I'm getting frustrated because this is just the most recent in a line of "drama" issues -- but I am pretty certain that I either am allowed to have the light ON until I return home, or that she must/should have given some sort of formal warning.

What concerns me about her is she makes up rules "on the fly" and I've called her on them before; she doesn't know what she's doing, and I'm trying to protect myself from being a "right fighter" right out of an apartment.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
View detailed profiles of: