Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 07:53 AM

4 posts, read 8,113 times

Advertisements

I just found out I am pregnant and am trying to find a good obgyn in Bangor. I would like to deliver at EMMC.

Anyone that you personally had a good experience with? Any suggestions? Anyone or any practice to avoid?

A consideration... I am super petite and women in my family have ended up needing csections so I may be at risk for needing one. So I would prefer an obgyn over a midwife or nurse practioner. Male or female, it doesn't matter to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 03:52 PM

321 posts, read 487,050 times
Full disclosure: I'm not a woman, and I don't have any direct personal experience, but I do work in healthcare.

Women's Healthcare of Maine at EMMC has a good team. If you don't mind a male physician, Dr. Slate is pretty awesome, and Dr. MacDonald seems to build a good rapport with his patients.

Many people also like Dr. Paul Smith at Bangor OB/GYN.

Just some general thoughts - I'm sure others will chime in to share their personal experiences.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:50 PM

171 posts, read 197,686 times
Congratulations on the baby!

From my personal experience and that of friends and close family members (female, obviously ):

Acadia OB/GYN on Mt. Hope is great, specifically Dr. Lebowitz (male) and Dr. Bretta (female). Dr. Tracey Hughes (female) and Dr. Joseph Benoit are also top-notch. I believe Dr. Aloupis (male) is still affiliated with EMMC's gynecology practice and he's really good, but can be a little lacking in the bedside manner department (some people find this more of an issue than others, but I've never heard anyone doubt the care he gives). Any of these doctors will have privileges at EMMC (and probably at St. Joe's, too).

Practitioners I'd recommend you avoid at all costs: Dr. Robert Grover (if he's even still practicing) and Dr. Ellen Bentley.

Good luck with your search!

Old 09-04-2014, 07:00 AM

4 posts, read 8,113 times
Thank you both

Old 09-09-2014, 11:44 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmK999 View Post
Congratulations on the baby!

From my personal experience and that of friends and close family members (female, obviously ):

Acadia OB/GYN on Mt. Hope is great, specifically Dr. Lebowitz (male) and Dr. Bretta (female). Dr. Tracey Hughes (female) and Dr. Joseph Benoit are also top-notch. I believe Dr. Aloupis (male) is still affiliated with EMMC's gynecology practice and he's really good, but can be a little lacking in the bedside manner department (some people find this more of an issue than others, but I've never heard anyone doubt the care he gives). Any of these doctors will have privileges at EMMC (and probably at St. Joe's, too).

Practitioners I'd recommend you avoid at all costs: Dr. Robert Grover (if he's even still practicing) and Dr. Ellen Bentley.

Good luck with your search!
Ellen Bentley no longer does the OB portion. She's a GYN doctor only.

On a personal note: She performed 3 complicated surgeries on me and delivered one of my two children. The other, she wasn't on call - Aloupis was.

Long story short: I should have had a c-section and he waited too long IMO.

I had no other issues with Dr. Bentley.

To the OP: You've been given some great choices. I've also heard very good things about Paola Rinaldi-Whitham if she's still in the area.

Congratulations and good luck.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:20 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,481 times
I got up and left Tracey Hughes office - I thought she was terrible.

I went with Paul Smith, I was pleased. Now I did hear that some didn't like his bedside manner - he can be blunt, and other times very laid back. What he did do - which was very important to me - was answer my questions. He may have thought it was nothing, but if I wanted more information he gave it to me. I'm a large woman, and at one point he just said "because of your size" a wee bit blunt, but I got the information I needed, which was the important part for me.

When I told him I was hurting he said he could fix that - he believed me and tended to my needs. In contrast (and the reason I left) Hughes, when I told her I was hurting she told me I shouldn't be, and continued.

There are many in the Bangor area, I am sure you will find one that meets your needs.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 4,167 times
Dr. Grover closed his practice and is living out of state now I believe. If anyone can pm about their experience with mesh with him I would be grateful.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,234 times
My sister, a ton of my friends and I were all delivered by Dr. Joseph Benoit at EMMC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
View detailed profiles of: