Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 05:32 AM

18 posts, read 79,532 times

Advertisements

We are still researching Maine and are planning to go up in a couple of weeks. We are staying in the Great Pond area which actually looks like a pretty cool place to us. Any thoughts on places to scope out +/- 45 minute drive to Bangor? We are looking to be in the country. We do have children but we homeschool so we are not obsessed with school district performance. I know there are plenty of homeschoolers in the Bangor area and other places so we will be able to meet friends for our children and ourselves. We want a small farm type home for a big garden, a few animals and places to walk nearby. Politically we are more in tune with the southern states, conservative on social issues, taxes too but you can't have everything! We really are New Englanders though and can't picture ourselves anywhere else. However, we are not looking to create a Massachusetts up in Maine or live in the "Northern Mass" areas of Maine! What appeals to us about Maine is the beauty of the state and the "old Yankee" attitudes. People are friendly but not in your face and they expect the same from you. I don't know how else to describe it. Maybe someone else can so a better job. I know not EVERYONE is like that, the world has changed everywhere , but we are looking to increase our chances! Thanks for all comments and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 06:07 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,935,289 times
45 minutes from Bangor covers quite a lot of territory. If you go east you are on the coast, if you go west you are way up in the wilderness. 45minutes up the Interestate in either direction will make you a neighbor of Forestbeekeeper, another lister or in the other direction on the Interestate you can be in Waterville.

It isn't clear from your post how "wilderness" you want to be or can tolerate.
Bangor is the last major settlement for quite some distance, so you will have a lot of choices. It will all come down to how much money you are willing to spend on your living arrangements, and how self-contained you plan to be.

One thing is for sure: 45 minutes from Bangor won't get you into Northern Massachusetts anywhere in Maine.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:31 AM

18 posts, read 79,532 times
Good points! I know it is very vague, we are pretty open minded. I think that given our first choice we may want to be more coastal just because we are used to being able to get the the ocean from where we are now and like that option. We are looking to spend about $150K and it can need work as we would like something older and are pretty handy people. We want ot be somewhat self-contained but not off the grid. These are great questions, it is helpful in organizing our thoughts on this.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:45 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,721,129 times
Though Maine has one of the highest tax burdons in the country and almosts always votes to the left I still find rural maine to be a place where people want to be left alone to work and raise their family. And I have never felt like people here push their veiws down your throat. I am more libratarian and even when I come across people with different view points there is always some common ground and respect. I think Ma is more of a politically vocal place.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:19 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,903,403 times
Have you looked into Blue Hill? Trenton? Both are on the coast, and roughly 45 minutes away from Bangor.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:21 PM

37,472 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Winterport is really nice.

Bucksport is nice too.

Elsworth is nice.

Searsport is okay.

I am 20 minutes North of Bangor, and on the Penobscot river. No ocean but having our kayaks tied up right behind the house in the water is neat

You could probably find a home going expensive, most are cheaper. A friend of mine just bought a 4,000 sq ft house on French Island in Old Town for a bit less. He has river frontage and a small pier.

I would really consider the Hampden - Winterport - Bucksport area. Or Elsworth!

I like up here in the un-organized townships, the taxes are crazy low. You have never heard of such low taxes as Maine, this is great.

But we do have a lot of moose, beaver, turkey, deer, and bear.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:09 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,935,289 times
I actually think that Ellsworth might work well. I suspect that underneath it all you will find the outlying areas of Ellsworth, which include Trenton, Lamoine and Hancock to be just what you are thinking about. Your target price for housing may be a bit low, but the area you describe is just right.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:23 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,098,109 times
Check out Stockton Springs, especially the Sandy Point neighborhood off Route 1 (lower left corner, Map 23, DeLorme), Prospect, and Frankfort (AWAY from Route 1). I also second the suggestions for Bucksport (vastly underappreciated IMO) and the Ellsworth area, although I think Ellsworth itself might be outside your price range.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:11 AM

37,472 posts, read 61,423,512 times
45 minutes?

What about Lincoln.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:26 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I am 20 minutes North of Bangor, and on the Penobscot river. No ocean but having our kayaks tied up right behind the house in the water is neat
Being on the river like that, do you ever have a problem with flooding? I've heard that during the rare hurricane, the storm surge can sometimes cause the Penobscot to flood. That ever happen as far north as Bangor and points northward?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area