Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 8,887 times

Advertisements

We are possibly relocating to the Bangor area. We actually could live anywhere between Rockland, Waterville, Bangor, Ellsworth, and Bar Harbor. We have an infant and a 3 1/2 year old. The development we currently live in has many young families. Literally, every house has small children. Needless to say, my son always has someone to play with! We live in a port city and there are plenty of things to do. I like to be closer to my neighbors. I do NOT prefer a rural setting out in nowhere. I would like to be close to shopping, gyms, preschools, parks, children activities, etc... My questions are: Are there particular areas/developments that have more young families? What types of activities are there to do with small children? I haven't seen any, but are there any developments with a community pool or park, etc? Any information you could offer me would be greatly appreciated!!! THANK YOU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 04:08 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,908 times
You could locate to any of the towns that you mention. The question that I have is, why are you moving here? There is a BIG geographic and tactical difference between those places. Rockland is NOT part of the Bangor "area". Nor is Bar Harbor, nor is Ellsworth, nor is Waterville. If employment is driving this move, then you will need and WANT to live somewhere within the location where work will be. The distance between Bar Harbor and Bangor is sixty miles, and it is apt to be a two hour trip in peak summer season...just getting through Ellsworth is going to be a nightmare that will grow with each passing month. The geography is important, but the "tactical" aspects: how the distance is covered, is another of equal or greater importance. It is 30 miles from Ellsworth to Bangor, and the travel is directly up Route 1-A, which is a two lane improved road. The distance from Waterville to Bangor is 50 miles by Interstate. Much of the time it is faster to go from Waterville to Bangor than from Ellsworth to Bangor, especially in less than perfect weather. Interstate travel will probably be more economical in terms of fuel use than the often stop and go travel up Route 1-A.

Rockland is always two hours from Bangor. Waterville is one hour from Bangor only because it is a straight shot, and about fifty miles on the Interstate.

Your children's perceived needs and interests seem to be driving your move, and on that basis, my choice would be to live in Bangor because it is the largest city of the ones you mention, and is relatively close to Orono, which is home to the University of Maine and its activities.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:03 AM

182 posts, read 490,729 times
X2

Not that we all want to pry but knowing the why you are relocating helps us all give better information.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 8,887 times
Default More details...

We would be relocating due to my husband's work. He would be covering an entire area from Rockland through Presque Isle actually. I said Bangor area because it is what I seem to find most information on. We can actually live anywhere in his area. My main concern as a stay at home Mom is having opportunities for my children and myself to meet and interact with people. Anything else that may help you help me.... please ask

Old 06-28-2008, 09:34 AM

276 posts, read 848,559 times
I would think that Bangor would be the better for you as well. If having things for your children to do is important that is where you will find them. They have the newer pool off Union St, the Childrens Discovery Musesum downtown, the Public library has goings on in the summers for children. You are in the middle of all the areas. You can take day trips to Bar Harbor. There is the mall area which is one big cluster but you can go do shopping and dining out. Downtown has a few shops and is mostly local type business not the big box stores. Bangor has several playgrounds that have Parks and Rec type programs. There is the YMCA/YWCA which has summer camps, swimming and other activities.

To my knowledge Maine doesn't have any "gated" type communities where you have a pool/playground/rec center but there are alot of new subdivisions opening up around Bangor and a realtor might be able to tell you where young families are moving. Sadly enough if you want lots of kids for your kids to play with you need to get into the welfare housing complexes. There are tons of kids there.

Last edited by MAINEr; 06-28-2008 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 06-29-2008, 04:12 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnleis View Post
We would be relocating due to my husband's work. He would be covering an entire area from Rockland through Presque Isle actually. I said Bangor area because it is what I seem to find most information on. We can actually live anywhere in his area. My main concern as a stay at home Mom is having opportunities for my children and myself to meet and interact with people. Anything else that may help you help me.... please ask
Rockland through Presque Isle. That's a very large territory, especially if it includes the coast all the way from Rockland to Eastport.

In that case the area to look for would most likely be Bangor. The largest city in eastern Maine, and Interstate 95 runs right through it. While that location will not particularly help your husband service any clients in Rockland, or along the coast, it will offer an excellent compromise for his commute with the advantages that you personally seek for yourself and your children.

You may want to look into Ellsworth also. Ellsworth is on Route 1 that runs the entire length of the coast. From Ellsworth, the route to Rockland is west down Route One, and to Machias and eventually Eastport, it is east along Route One. Bangor is up 1A about an hour from Ellsworth.

I think that your living situation decisions will be much easier if you plan it around how much time your husband will be spending on the road to either direction. If the majority of his work will involve traveling to Waterville, Augusta, Bangor, Millinocket, Houlton, Presque Isle, then living as close to I-95 will help him quite a lot.

However, if he is going to be spending a lot of time on the corridor from Rockland east to Eastport, then perhaps a small city like Ellsworth will offer a great compromise.

Maine is a state of small towns. In those small towns it is very easy to meet people who live in those small towns, and by and large those small towns are actively involved in the affairs of their children FIRST and foremost.

Your husband has a really big territory. Plan your living arrangements around what will make it easier for him to bring home the bacon, and you will find plenty of opportunity for interaction for yourself and young children along the way.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:12 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,875,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnleis View Post

That is a huge territory for your DH to cover. My DH is in sales and finds himself in a similar situation quite often. My concern is always what will make his job life easier as he's the one doing all the driving and earning our living. I adjust myself to what he needs. So, as someone else already stated, if the majority of his accounts are aligned along I-95 (Augusta, Waterville, Bangor) then yes, Bangor would be the best choice. If his accounts are primarily along the coastline (US 1) then you would want to look around the Ellsworth area. You and the kids will be able to find plenty to do in either location or within a short drive.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:23 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,629,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
That is a huge territory for your DH to cover. My DH is in sales and finds himself in a similar situation quite often. My concern is always what will make his job life easier as he's the one doing all the driving and earning our living. I adjust myself to what he needs. So, as someone else already stated, if the majority of his accounts are aligned along I-95 (Augusta, Waterville, Bangor) then yes, Bangor would be the best choice. If his accounts are primarily along the coastline (US 1) then you would want to look around the Ellsworth area. You and the kids will be able to find plenty to do in either location or within a short drive.

very good (logical) answer!

Old 07-14-2008, 03:00 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,155 times
I think Bangor would be a good choice - or one of the bordering communities to Bangor. As the other's have mentioned we have lots of kids activities here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area