Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,410 times

Advertisements

I recently found out that my grandfather's grandfather Dutch Dehlman played for the NL's St. Louis Brownstockings in 1876 and 1877 as their first baseman. Both of my son's play baseball and it is awesome to be able to look through our family history and see all Dutch accomplished in his short life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 11:39 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Not only did he play for them, he was also the manager for the 1876 season. Absolutely fascinating stuff, baseball prior to the formation of today's major leagues!

Old 06-24-2010, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,410 times
Default It's Amazing

thanks for the post! I am finding so much info about him! He had one son who was 6 years old when he died suddenly at 33 years old from Typhoid fever. This was my grandfather's father, William J. Dehlman. Herman Dehlman is now in 2 books published this year and many baseball history websites. It's incredible learning about him, we did find one picture and the family resemblence is striking.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:46 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,981 times
That is amazing! Sounds like your having fun finding out about him. And how great for your kids to know about this!

Old 06-27-2010, 08:15 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,241,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Not only did he play for them, he was also the manager for the 1876 season. Absolutely fascinating stuff, baseball prior to the formation of today's major leagues!
Actually, as you may already know Fred314X, 1876 was the first year of the National League, so in a way the OP's great-great grandfather actually pitched at the beginning of today's major leagues (which I must say is pretty cool, especially considering the fact the OP has been excited about learning about her great-great grandfather and the baseball connection he has with her sons). Now having said that, based on a few baseball books I have read, some baseball historians believe the "modern" game of baseball was in place or close to being in place by sometime in the 1890s and really started to gain mass popularity (at least in terms of media coverage) around 1905 or so, give or take a year or two. Of course, the current National/American League setup came into being in 1901 when Ban Johnson modified his formerly minor Western League by putting teams into selected cities and going after selected National League star players of the day, perhaps most notably Napoleon Lajoie (who won the AL Triple Crown in 1901 with the Philadelphia A's).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball