Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:34 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,345,376 times

Advertisements

There seems to be empty seats in a lot of ballparks this year. I wonder if baseball as a sport is losing popularity. If someone really likes baseball they'll go to see their local team, regardless of the standings. As others have said, maybe just certain cities have diehard fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 10:41 AM

228 posts, read 460,842 times
We're in a recession. By the way, there are a hell of alot less empty seats, compared with the last few years. This is coming from somebody who lives in Atlanta and ACTUALLY goes to Braves games. People are coming to games a lot more than other cities, and it will only increase as people begin to beleive again.

GO BRAVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2010, 10:42 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,832,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat of the ATL View Post
We're in a recession. By the way, there are a hell of alot less empty seats, compared with the last few years. This is coming from somebody who lives in Atlanta and ACTUALLY goes to Braves games. People are coming to games a lot more than other cities, and it will only increase as people begin to beleive again.

Recession, my arse. You can hardly even get a ticket to Phillies games. Its is pathetic when a first place team can't get people in the seats.....the Braves aren't the Pirates or Nats.

I think the south is just not a great baseball area...the Braves AAA team in Gwinnett, even with a new ballpark, is near the bottom of the league in attendance. You would think, if the Braves attendance was the fault of a recession, that the Gwinnett team in the suburbs would be doing well, with lower prices than a big league game.

Marlins...Braves...Rays....all poor attendance and all in the south.....and all are good teams that get lousy fan support.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:04 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,519,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Recession, my arse. You can hardly even get a ticket to Phillies games. Its is pathetic when a first place team can't get people in the seats.....the Braves aren't the Pirates or Nats.

I think the south is just not a great baseball area...the Braves AAA team in Gwinnett, even with a new ballpark, is near the bottom of the league in attendance. You would think, if the Braves attendance was the fault of a recession, that the Gwinnett team in the suburbs would be doing well, with lower prices than a big league game.

Marlins...Braves...Rays....all poor attendance and all in the south.....and all are good teams that get lousy fan support.
Hard to think recession is the issue, especially since it would be the 3rd or 4th straight season that it would be a factor combined with some teams not being affected at all.

My guess is largely due to very large transplant population in the South as being a huge factor. It makes for oftentimes seeing more Yankees and/or Red Sox apparel more visible at times than Braves. (Really prominent in the Northern Suburbs)

Old 08-05-2010, 01:21 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,621,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
There seems to be empty seats in a lot of ballparks this year. I wonder if baseball as a sport is losing popularity. If someone really likes baseball they'll go to see their local team, regardless of the standings. As others have said, maybe just certain cities have diehard fans.
I don't believe it has anything to do with either the popularity of the game, or the position of your favorite team in the standings. Rather, I think a healthy portion of the blame for empty seats can be explained in two simple words: ticket prices.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:49 PM

623 posts, read 1,543,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
the Braves aren't the Pirates or Nats.

The Braves average 25% more fans per than the Nationals, the team with the highest attendance amongst those four. The Braves are ranked 14th in MLB attendance. It's not great but it's hardly horrible. So no, they are not those four teams.

This thread is clearly an excuse for the team in second place to rip on the Braves.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:57 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
The Braves average 25% more fans per than the Nationals, the team with the highest attendance amongst those four. The Braves are ranked 14th in MLB attendance. It's not great but it's hardly horrible. So no, they are not those four teams.

This thread is clearly an excuse for the team in second place to rip on the Braves.

No excuse needed reality will take care of that

Phils back home for 13 of the next 16 where they have won 11 straight and just swept the Marlins still missing 3/8ths of their starting lineup that will all be back for the stretch oh and btw 94 straight sell-outs (soon to 107 after the home stand and add in playoffs 134)

Old 08-06-2010, 05:20 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,480,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerNation View Post
Anyone else notice this ? With a team in a pennant race no less.
hot weather, high price of tickets/concessions/parking, poor economy, games on HDTV in air conditioned homes -------can't blame them

Old 08-06-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Somewhat. I don't think I've ever seen the Falcons or Thrashers sell out.

That being Georgia Tech and U of Georgia sell out unconditionally.
Remember sell outs when Vick was there - I went to a few of their games against the Bucs.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
A big part of the problem is that Atlanta has so many transient residents who are already fans of other teams.
That has a lot to do with it - Florida, Tampa Bay, and Arizona have the same problem. Too many Yankee, Red Sox fans in FL - and they only go to mlb games that involve their own team. Real sports fans go to see sports, no matter who's playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball