Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Baseball Playoffs be Expanded as of 2012?
Don't care. 0 0%
Yes, expand them. 3 11.54%
No, leave it as it is now. 23 88.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:55 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times

Advertisements

^^ I can see your point, but do you think traditionalists would like to see the Philles (NL) in a division with the Yankees (AL)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 08:04 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
And when they expand the playoffs and belatedly realize that weather is going to affect games played in northern cities, what's next? Designating southern cities for all playoff games? How about a World Series contested in a designated city, just like the Super Bowl. Why not cut all the hometown fans out of the picture? Or have they got even more insidious ways of screwing with us? (Let's not even get into a discussion about how watered down the playoffs will get once second or even third-place teams are in. I guess Bud Selig is entranced by the NHL...and thinks that three quarters of the franchises being able to make the playoffs is a good arrangement).

Old 04-25-2011, 08:11 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Why shouldn't a team like the Rays be in a division with the Marlins and Braves or the Phillies be with the Yankees based on proximity?
Because they're in different ... leagues?

Old 04-26-2011, 05:06 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
For years I've been thinking about radical realignment. Here is one possible setup:

East: Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Marlins, Rays, Blue Jays

Mideast: Phillies, Pirates, Orioles, Nationals, Braves, Tigers

Central: Reds, Indians, White Sox, Cubs, Brewers, Twins

Midwest: Cardinals, Royals, Astros, Rangers, D-backs, Rockies

West: Padres, Dodgers, Angels, Giants, A's, Mariners.

Consider all the local and in-state division rivalries that such an arrangement would create. There could be 5 division winners and as many wild cards as the powers that be may dictate. And while we're at it, let's improve the playoff climate by shortening the regular season by a week or two.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:14 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
^^ I can see your point, but do you think traditionalists would like to see the Philles (NL) in a division with the Yankees (AL)?
This was my opinion but it doesn't have to be specifically like this. It was just a geographic example.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
For years I've been thinking about radical realignment. Here is one possible setup:

East: Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Marlins, Rays, Blue Jays

Mideast: Phillies, Pirates, Orioles, Nationals, Braves, Tigers

Central: Reds, Indians, White Sox, Cubs, Brewers, Twins

Midwest: Cardinals, Royals, Astros, Rangers, D-backs, Rockies

West: Padres, Dodgers, Angels, Giants, A's, Mariners.

Consider all the local and in-state division rivalries that such an arrangement would create. There could be 5 division winners and as many wild cards as the powers that be may dictate. And while we're at it, let's improve the playoff climate by shortening the regular season by a week or two.
A little screwy your breakdowns. You have a team from all the way up in Michigan (Detroit) having to go to Georgia. Maybe taking geography more into consideration would be better. Marlins, Rays, Braves together, and maybe Toronto, Detroit, Cincinatti together as an example.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:46 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
I guess there's no room for such antiquated notions as "tradition" anymore, is there? I'm afraid I don't like that radical realignment at all. For some peculiar reason, I like having a National League and an American League, where the champions play in the World Series. A generic championship, like we see in the NBA and NHL (and NFL, since the merger) doesn't interest me at all.

Maybe what we need is just the removal of Bud Selig from the picture!

Old 04-26-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I guess there's no room for such antiquated notions as "tradition" anymore, is there? I'm afraid I don't like that radical realignment at all. For some peculiar reason, I like having a National League and an American League, where the champions play in the World Series. A generic championship, like we see in the NBA and NHL (and NFL, since the merger) doesn't interest me at all.

Maybe what we need is just the removal of Bud Selig from the picture!
Fred,
Here's my problem. Toronto and Baltimore are 2 decent teams trapped in a division with 3 solid teams. In any other division most likely they could contend. In a short series any team can possibly beat any other team but not in the long haul. That's why realignment sounds good. I do agree that long time rivalries are cool but giving certain teams more of a chance would be cool too. I'd like to see a team like KC or Pittsburgh in the playoffs. In a short series like the playoffs, Toronto or a Baltimore could give many teams a run for the money.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:24 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Fred,
Here's my problem. Toronto and Baltimore are 2 decent teams trapped in a division with 3 solid teams. In any other division most likely they could contend. .
Baltimore's record against the AL Central and AL West..Last Five Seasons:

2010..35-37
2009..29-43
2008..35-36
2007..29-43
2006..30-39

That is a combined record of 148-198, .428 ball. While that is a better performance than against their own division where they have been 135-228, .372 ball for those last five seasons, it still hasn't been good enough for the Orioles to have been contenders. They would be better losers in another division, but still losers. Their problem hasn't been the division in which they play, their problem has been bad ballplayers.

Your thesis finds more support in the case of Toronto. The last five seasons they have just about held their own against the AL East, 179-181, .497, but have been far stronger against the Central and West divisions, 200-158, .559 ball.

These are the winning percentages of the AL Central and AL West winners the last five seasons.

AL Central

AL West

So, yeah, looks like there could have been a couple of seasons where Toronto at least was contending.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:37 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
Quote:
A little screwy your breakdowns. You have a team from all the way up in Michigan (Detroit) having to go to Georgia. Maybe taking geography more into consideration would be better. Marlins, Rays, Braves together, and maybe Toronto, Detroit, Cincinatti together as an example.
I thought it was screwier when the Braves and Reds were in the West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball