Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 06:59 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times

Advertisements

In the battle between who will survive the longest, Wrigley Field or Fenway Park, I'll vote for Wrigley.

Why? Both are iconic. Both are beloved. And with all the work that has gone into Fenway (Wrigley was always well taken care of), both are in pretty good shape, considering their ages.

I wouldn't even get into the argument as to which is the better park. that is an honor both of them deserve to share together. Simply put, what Wrigley does for the NL, Fenway does for the AL.

But it isn't the condition of the parks or how well either is loved that I think the determining factor will be.

I think the real reason why Wrigley will outlive Fenway is that Wrigley serves Chicago better than Fenway does Boston. Chicago is a two team city. Chicago thus gives its fans far more opportunity to see MLB than does Boston. Wrigley merely has to work with the new Comiskey (the Cell) to meet the metro area's needs. Fenway, with its small capacity, is the only game in town. Seems to me that that type of pressure will, at some point, make Fenway go first.

Do I think it will happen any time soon? Absolutely not. But when change comes in the form of one (or both) of these parks going, I think that one team city/two team city will be a factor in Fenway's earlier demise.

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 10:16 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Yeah I also think it's only a matter of time before they build a new ball park. It's going to be really interesting to see how they get this done since both stadiums in their current locations don't have a inch to budge on expansion. They're going to have to relocate both stadiums and will do so in my opinion. I would like to get to both stadiums before this happens if I don't at least I can say I have been to County Stadium

Old 07-09-2012, 09:19 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Yeah I also think it's only a matter of time before they build a new ball park. It's going to be really interesting to see how they get this done since both stadiums in their current locations don't have a inch to budge on expansion. They're going to have to relocate both stadiums and will do so in my opinion. I would like to get to both stadiums before this happens if I don't at least I can say I have been to County Stadium
How can you talk up both sports and Chicago so much and NOT have been to Wrigley Field yet!?!

On a side note, the settings for Wrigley Field and U.S. Cellular Field couldn't be more different, though I love having all those train lines (heavy passenger rail, commuter rail, and freight rail) passing near the Cell.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:12 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,384 times
I've only seen the outside of Wrigley once, but it'd be terrible for either of them to go.

Has anyone ever seen a game at Wrigley from the rooftops across the street? What's it like?

Old 07-10-2012, 07:47 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
How can you talk up both sports and Chicago so much and NOT have been to Wrigley Field yet!?!
I know all the time I have been right next to it and never stopped in for a game, besides it's not like cubs fans are going to the games. I remember the first time we drove next to it coming up from the south side of the city and I looked over and I said 'That's Wrigley field!!" I thought it was a dump, I guess I was expecting something better looking on the outside. I am going to two games this year at the trough.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:39 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
Neither will be going anywhere for a long, long time.

The Red Sox have done a ton of work to Fenway. Less has been done to Wrigley, but the Rickets are planning to do a complete renovation to repair and modernize what they can (trying to talk the City of Chicago into paying it).

To me, the existence of the Cell on the south side is meaningless to the ultimate survival or not of Wrigley. Baseball fans in general may hit both, but the real Cubs fans are not going to trip down to Comisky, nor will the real White Sox fans be hanging out and Clark and Addison.

It helps both Fenway and Wrigley that, due to their age and fact they are the last two classic ballparks, they have become attractions themselves, independent of the team playing in them.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:56 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,963 times
I think eventually Wrigley will be rebuilt leaving only the brick wall as something not new. Far too much money to be made with large banks of suites and bars/restaurants in the stadium to not overhaul the place.

Don't have enough experience to speak to Fenway, I know they sunk like $300 million into the place. Probably not going anywhere for a long time.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:05 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
I think eventually Wrigley will be rebuilt leaving only the brick wall as something not new. Far too much money to be made with large banks of suites and bars/restaurants in the stadium to not overhaul the place.

Don't have enough experience to speak to Fenway, I know they sunk like $300 million into the place. Probably not going anywhere for a long time.
I don't think the city block on which Wrigley Field sits is big enough to easily allow that ballpark to be radically remodeled. Remember also that Wrigley Field is in the middle of a city neighborhood, unlike almost any other current MLB ballpark. There would be greater community disruption if Wrigley Field were to be remodeled than there would be with almost any other current ballpark.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:01 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,120 times
I think Fenway will outlive Wrigley and here's why. The Red Sox and Cubs are two clubs going in opposite directions. The baseball establishment is far more likely to "stimulate" interest in any underachieving organization with new surroundings and gimmickry than to fix a situation that isn't broken.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:10 PM

404 posts, read 904,563 times
I'd be surprised to see either go, especially Fenway. I love that place probably more than the red Sox themselves

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball