Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 12:03 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
I don't endorse the behavior of my fellow fans who throw debris onto the field and I didn't partake in it but all of those faux outrage and phony baloney moral high horse soapboxing is ridiculous. All of this "only in Atlanta" BS is garbage. Until this game everyone criticized Atlantans as being too passive and fair weathered. Situations like this happen at sporting events with some frequency and it's not unique to Atlanta. Situations like this have happened for less in other cities. So lets all stop pretending like this is some national outrage.
This has nothing to do with my point. I do not care what city this incident happened in, it is unacceptable and fans should not take it so seriously to the point they must act like savages towards something that has very little effect on them. Just because people payed to watch a game, it does not guaranteed an automatic win under any circumstances.

Turner Field was the venue of last night game so Braves fans made themselves the target. If this happened in Busch Stadium, my reaction wouldn't be any different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 12:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Maybe the worst thing about this is that the umpires may begin favoring the home team, in order to avoid these kinds of demonstrations in the future. The Cardinals lost a World Series on a worse call than that by Don Denkinger in 1985, but the bad call favored the home team so there was no fallout. And again in 1987, a call just as bad in game seven, but again it favored the home team.

As for the interference call on Simmons, that was probably the most flagrant swerve out of the 3-foot lane I've ever seen. He was so far out of the lane, a blind ump could have called it by directionalizing the sound of his footsteps.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:43 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
. The Cardinals lost a World Series on a worse call than that by Don Denkinger in 1985, .
The Cardinals lost Game Six, not the series, the blown call was one out that St. Louis should have had but didn't. The Royals had ten hits and three walks in that game to the Cardinals five hits and two walks, so the game wasn't won or lost on that one call, it was one lousy out which escaped.

The Cardinals lost the Series the following day in Game Seven when the whole team blew up and just gave up, one of the worst displays of bad sportsmanship I can recall in a WS. In the fifth inning, when they were down 5-0 and things went to hell....at 9-0 Herzog decided to run up the white flag by bringing in Joaquin Andujar in what was already an extremely hostile situation with the umpires......"There's a fire! Quick, get the arsonist with the gasoline can!"

Anjudar's ejection after just two batters was probably the most easily predicted heave ho in all of ML history.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:46 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Right. It's just a prime time TV show, performed before a live studio audience for advertising money.
It's never just a game to a sports fan. People attend games because they care and want to see someone win or lose.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:47 PM
FBJ

ESPN didn't make a big deal out of the Atlanta fans throwing bottles I guess because they don't have a reputation like philly fans.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:49 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
You started this stupid conversation so you are already in it. Professional sports is for entertainment, it is not a livelihood. Fans do not play the game.

Those same Braves fans that threw a hissy fit will continue to pay money to watch this team next year. Win or lose, no fans physically gain or lose anything from a sports game. They get up out of seats, navigate their ways into their cars, go home and get on with their life. The Braves made several key errors throughout the game and that why they ultimately loss. Nonetheless, there is no excuse for spectators who have no physical impact on the game to throw debris out on the field.
If you are not HAPPY or SAD after a game then why are you watching it?

Old 10-06-2012, 02:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The Cardinals lost Game Six, not the series, the blown call was one out that St. Louis should have had but didn't.

Even though it was game 6, it was the ninth inning of the series clincher, and they had the lead, and therefore the WS win, unless the runner who was called safe scored. The run that denied them the WS win scored when there were two outs, and should have been three out = game over = series over.

IF Denkinger makes the right call, there are three outs before the tying and winning run score, the Cardinals win the world series immediately, at the end of that very same inning. (Assuming all other things play out equally).

Old 10-06-2012, 02:44 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Even though it was game 6, it was the ninth inning of the series clincher, and they had the lead, and therefore the WS win, unless the runner who was called safe scored. The run that denied them the WS win scored when there were two outs, and should have been three out = game over = series over.

IF Denkinger makes the right call, there are three outs before the tying and winning run score, the Cardinals win the world series immediately, at the end of that very same inning. (Assuming all other things play out equally).
In a seven game series a team has 189 outs before they are eliminated. The Cardinals were gyped out of one of those outs. One play doth not determine the winner of a series. The Cardinals lost for numerous reasons, you could focus on any inning in which they failed to score and say "This is where they lost the series" and it would be as meaningful as your focus on the one play in Game Six.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:07 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
If you are not HAPPY or SAD after a game then why are you watching it?
I already answer your question within the post you replied to. I am a fan but I do not let the game take over my life.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:33 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
I already answer your question within the post you replied to. I am a fan but I do not let the game take over my life.
So if your team loses you are not disappointed for atleast 2 hours after the game is over? If the answer is NO then you should watch Wrestling instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball