Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 06:56 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times

Advertisements

...with arguably the best class of first-time eligible players. Is the Hall still relevant to the game of baseball? Does it still belong to the fans, or is it a symbolic moral high-ground for sportswriters and a few veterans of the game?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 07:19 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
When did it ever belong to the fans? The HoF is a privately operated museum which was launched for the purpose of bringing tourist dollars to Cooperstown, NY.

The owners of that museum enlisted then BBWA to serve as the selection arm and issued six guidelines, three of which had to do with good sportsmanship and personal character.

Now those voters are trying to cope with the fallout from a widespread scandal involving poor sportsmanship and dishonorable personal character.

It is a mess and will remain a mess for some time to come. There is no satisfactory solution.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 AM

18,023 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Whom specifically was it that was denied induction this time around?

Old 01-10-2013, 08:03 AM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Craig Biggio for openers. It looks to me that because he played in the steroid era that he is automatically guilty as far as the selection committee is concerned. And to my knowledge his name has never been mentioned regarding steroids. He only finished his career with 3060 hits. Denying barry Bonds and Roger Clemens I get. I expected that. I don't get Craig Biggio. IIRC the last time this has happened since 1996 ( I think.)

Granstander is right. It IS a mess. And a disgrace to boot.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:06 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Whom specifically was it that was denied induction this time around?
Well, barring "the taint", Bonds and Clemens come to mind.

However, they basically hint that those guys might not have even gotten 50% of the votes and were a looooong way from 75%.

Seems like the sportswriters are more than a little peeved.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:58 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Craig Biggio for openers. It looks to me that because he played in the steroid era that he is automatically guilty as far as the selection committee is concerned. And to my knowledge his name has never been mentioned regarding steroids. He only finished his career with 3060 hits. Denying barry Bonds and Roger Clemens I get. I expected that. I don't get Craig Biggio. IIRC the last time this has happened since 1996 ( I think.)

Granstander is right. It IS a mess. And a disgrace to boot.
Same for Mike Piazza, who to my knowledge, was never named or even rumored to be a 'roider. It's almost as if the BBWAA felt if they couldn't induct the two best guys on the ballot, they weren't going to induct the third- & fourth-best either.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Biggio and Piazza failed to gain admission as a consequence of the math, not because they were being lumped in with the known roid users.

Because Clemens, Bonds and Sosa were on the ballot, and the first two did draw at least 33% support, and because there were numerous holdover candidates (Morris, Bagwell, Raines) who were also drawing votes, the voting became so widespread that no one emerged with the needed 75%. Had those others not been on the ballot, then it seems very likely that both Piazza and Biggio would have been inducted this year.

It will be worse next year when Maddox and Glavine are added to the mix.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
IIRC, 3,000 hits, in the modern era, pretty much guarantees a player a first year invitation to the HOF. Biggio's problem, imo, is that he's been tagged guilty by association (Bagwell and Clemens).

Old 01-10-2013, 12:17 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Honestly, I do not think he has been tainted or made guilty by association. As was mentioned, it is a numbers game. Enough voters still felt Bonds and Clemens were 1st time ballot hall of famers, that it ate up a lot of the votes that could have gotten Biggio or others elected.

Honestly, I am not sure Biggio is up to the typical standard of a first ballot hall of famer anyway (which is not a slight on him, his career numbers are hall worthy)

Old 01-10-2013, 06:43 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,963,336 times
In this era, you get the good with the bad. It's never fair, especially when a player isn't caught up in that steroid thing. At the same time, and Craig Biggio pointed this out at his Houston press conference, the Hall of Fame should be hard to get into. Period. Even Biggio said that he doesn't think that the voting process should be changed.

So, let's see what happens next year with Biggio and the 2014 first ballot candidates (Tom Glavine, Frank Thomas, and Greg Maddux), along with Jeff Bagwell. The two former Astros deserve to be in there and ought to go in together.

And I still can't believe that Dale Murphy hasn't been voted in already. That is not right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball