Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should MLB have the same rules across the board, like NFL, NBA,NHL do?
yes (dump the DH in the AL) 6 54.55%
no (retain the DH in the AL) 5 45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 04:23 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times

Advertisements

I was never a fan of the designated hitter, but I did at least understand that when the AL and NL were separate entities, they had the right to control their own destinies. I think the DH is the only "on field" difference; I believe once when the leagues were apart, there were other differences. Minor one here: I believe the NL counted fans in seats for attendance purposes while the AL went with "tickets sold"

so here is my question: why do we still have a DH in the AL when the AL no longer exists. It was dissolved, along with the NL, around the time we entered the 21st century. What that means is the AL and NL have the exact same meaning (or lack of meaning) as NFC and AFC. like those two, AL and NL are conferences and MLB is a league.

so why does MLB continue to do what NFL, NBA, and NHL never would. I suppose "tradition" could be an answer, but the introduction of the DH in the AL was so late in the sport's history that tradition seemingly wouldn't count.

The only reason I can think of is this: MLB wants to create illusions. MLB wants an AL and NL, would be happy to have fans think they are legal entities because tradition requires an AL and NL and perception has been created where reality no longer exists. simply put, we want, we need an AL and NL.

Point is, there is nothing about the Yankees, White Sox, and Angels that today would want them to have a DH, nothing that separates them from the Mets, Cubs, and Dodgers who do not have one. And when the Brewers and Astros can be "realigned" and give no thoughts to DH in making the move, what is the point.

so…..should we get rid of the DH…….not so much because it is a bad rule, but because there is no longer an organization out there that exists so therefore there is no organization that can want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 05:50 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
my choice is to force the DH onto the NL teams too

Old 04-18-2014, 06:14 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
NL should have the DH

Old 04-18-2014, 07:18 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post

so…..should we get rid of the DH…….not so much because it is a bad rule, but because there is no longer an organization out there that exists so therefore there is no organization that can want it.
That choice is not on the menu. Either both leagues will have the DH or the present situation will continue, there will not be a return to the no DH days because the MLBPA would never agree to it. The DH slot provides 15 typically high paying slots for veterans on rosters and vanquishing the DH position would be creating unemployment for the likes of David Ortiz, Billy Butler et al. If the DH was ended, those slots would be replaced by one more pitcher who in theory would be the worst pitcher on the staff and someone who earns way, way less than star DH players. That is a Union no no.

The union would not oppose expanding the DH because that would increase the value and salary of 15 NL roster slots.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:21 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
I love the NL setup - makes for better strategy on usage of the bullpen and positional players

I am not a big fan of the DH personally but do come from a NL perspective

Old 04-18-2014, 09:03 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
so…..should we get rid of the DH…….not so much because it is a bad rule,
which it is

Old 04-18-2014, 09:49 AM

698 posts, read 568,118 times
Are the rules allowing pinch-hitters, pinch-runners, relief pitchers, and defensive substitutions "bad rules" as well? Should all ice cream be vanilla?

Old 04-18-2014, 07:15 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
Are the rules allowing pinch-hitters, pinch-runners, relief pitchers, and defensive substitutions "bad rules" as well? Should all ice cream be vanilla?
When you bring in a pinch hitter, you take out the other player. He doesn't get to come back. It's the same with defensive substitutions. Using the DH weakens the game by allowing players to make it to the big league without being fully developed players. Pitchers ought to be able at least to bunt and move the runner over. Every player ought to be able to play a position, and if he can't - he doesn't belong in professional baseball.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:36 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
When you bring in a pinch hitter, you take out the other player. He doesn't get to come back. It's the same with defensive substitutions. Using the DH weakens the game by allowing players to make it to the big league without being fully developed players. Pitchers ought to be able at least to bunt and move the runner over. Every player ought to be able to play a position, and if he can't - he doesn't belong in professional baseball.
Apart from Babe Ruth, who was ever a "fully developed player?" How many of the pitchers presently on ML rosters would still be there if they had to be position players? How many position players could make it as pitchers?

Having the pitcher bat is handing plate appearances to someone not good enough to be a ML hitter. Why not do away with "specialty pitchers" and instead require each position player to pitch one inning in a game so that they may be "fully developed players?"

It is all arbitrary anyway, the rules may be whatever the rule makers decide.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:05 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
i don't know, vendor, but i do know that the NFL, NBA, NHL, NCAA gridiron, NCAA hoops absolutely operate on the concept of vanilla. at least when it comes to the rules of the games. Vanillia is supplemented by many other flavors in MLB already in case you didn't notice, since i think you would be hard pressed to find another sport where the dimensions of the playing field are different in every single ballpark out there.

AT&T was forced to have the shortest of right fields because the waters of China Basin/SF Bay intrude in the outfield. Should SF's other team, the 49ers, cut short the right side portion of the Levi's Stadium field to keep a nice connection to the ballpark in a city they just abandoned when they abandoned candlestick?

or maybe the 49ers and NFC should just go with a 90 yard long football field instead.

no, Vendor, you can have differing rules if you want when you are different organizations, like the DH, which only had an effect on the other guy (NL) in the WS (and then only every other year). When you are one league, when your two conferences (NL and AL) play plenty of inter-conference games, it would make sense that one set of rules apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball