Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 07:19 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,816,137 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I've been a casual baseball since is was a kid (now 28) but now Id like to get into supporting a team now that my son is getting older and enjoying sports more. So now id like to find a team we can enjoy and root for together.

I currently live in Rochester NY and really love it here. We have a great triple A team, the Red Wings that my son and I really enjoy going to the games.

My problem is finding an MLB team to root for. Even though I live in NY it takes over 6 hours to get to NYC. I really don't care for the Yanks$$$ but I love their extensive history. Mets I'm not sure about. There are alot of other closer teams to me that the NYC teams, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Toronto, Detroit and the Phillies and Orioles arnt that much farther either. The Rochester red wings are also the triple a affiliate of the twins so that's an option as well

So I have alot of options, just not sure who to pledge my allegiance to lol. The only teams I want to avoid is Boston (can't stand the fans) and teams that are across the country.

I'd like to find a fun team to watch, somewhat geographical close to me, interesting history, other passionate fans and maybe have some good young players that could possibly be contenders soon. Everyone loves an underdog right?

So what do you all think, which team is for me. I already have a few possible teams in mind but id like to hear some opinions first, thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 08:36 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
If you select a team which goes on to win the WS in the first year of your following them, all that comes after will be less.

If they win again the next season, well, you've already had that experience. If they lose, then it is not as entertaining.

So, in finding yourself a team it might be wise to avoid the obvious current contenders and get behind some club which is a rebuilding project. Victory which comes after a period of failure, is much sweeter than an easy triumph.

The Phillies were on your list, give em a look.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:56 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Go for the Mets.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:05 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,328,392 times
For me, at least, year-to-year team performance isn't that big a factor. Baseball is a pastime built upon tradition; upon a recognition that the game mirrors life, always changing, but changing very slowly. We have our heroes, when we're younger, but sometimes, they turn out to have feet of clay, or they're caught up in a controversy in which there are two (or more) sides to the argument.

I don't pay the attention to day-to-day baseball as much as I once did, But I find it fascinating when facts that once were overlooked suddenly find their way into the limelight. Here's a case in point:

//www.city-data.com/forum/histo...ed-racist.html

It's not hard to discover my favorite team, but the origins of my preference are a bit more complicated. I come from a family that never rooted for the Yanks, and the Phillies weren't a factor during a lot of my boyhood -- at least, not until the wild season of 1964. And it just so happens that back in the days of long-distance AM radio, the Tiger broadcasts on WJR were easy to get -- and there have been very few broadcasters on a par with the late Ernie Harwell.

And I don't really resent the Yankees either; they have a lock on baseball's biggest market, and the bucks to tinker with it -- but this is a game where the shortest distance between two points isn't always a straight line. I can remember Mickey Mantle's passing and funeral twenty years ago, and all the observations and commentary, but it's important to recognize that the team has produced any number of gentlemen -- Rizzuto, Bill White and Berra -- as well.

My advice -- invest in a good baseball reference book, and enjoy your research.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:07 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,626,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Hi everyone, I've been a casual baseball since is was a kid (now 28) but now Id like to get into supporting a team now that my son is getting older and enjoying sports more. So now id like to find a team we can enjoy and root for together.

I currently live in Rochester NY and really love it here. We have a great triple A team, the Red Wings that my son and I really enjoy going to the games.

My problem is finding an MLB team to root for. Even though I live in NY it takes over 6 hours to get to NYC. I really don't care for the Yanks$$$ but I love their extensive history. Mets I'm not sure about. There are alot of other closer teams to me that the NYC teams, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Toronto, Detroit and the Phillies and Orioles arnt that much farther either. The Rochester red wings are also the triple a affiliate of the twins so that's an option as well

So I have alot of options, just not sure who to pledge my allegiance to lol. The only teams I want to avoid is Boston (can't stand the fans) and teams that are across the country.

I'd like to find a fun team to watch, somewhat geographical close to me, interesting history, other passionate fans and maybe have some good young players that could possibly be contenders soon. Everyone loves an underdog right?

So what do you all think, which team is for me. I already have a few possible teams in mind but id like to hear some opinions first, thanks!
Too bad you don't live in the Midwest or I would highly recommend the Cardinals. Baseball is a religion here, actually it's more like a cult. Kids learn to swing a bat in St.Louis before they can walk.The Pope came here and blessed McGwire and the Cardinals. Baseball is discussed all year long even during football and hockey season. You will learn all the players and stats just by sitting in a barber shop for an hour.I was at the checkout lane in a grocery store and two old biddies were talking about one of the Cardinal pitchers, " They should get rid of him, he's a turd. " Fans are reluctant to leave the bleachers even when an EF4 tornado is bearing down on them. Baseball terminology is often used to describe other matters, such as when someone has to crap real bad, " Bases are loaded " or " Time for a squeeze play. " If you are ever in St.Louis you might even hear some old geezers talking about the Browns, now that was a team that knew how to entertain even when losing.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:29 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,082,969 times
Braves all the way. In the middle of a rebuilding phase. Looking to contend within 2-3 years. Traded for a TON of young talent. Excellent history.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:18 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,816,137 times
Thanks for the input so far guys.

Right now I think I have it narrowed down to two teams.

NY Mets- I like this team because for one it is my "home" which makes it easier to follow and watch games on tv. They look to be in the wild card hunt. They have a few veteran stars and some promising young players. They are the underdog of the city which keeps away alot of bandwagon fans.

MN Twins - The main reason is the affiliation to the Rochester Red Wings which they seem to have a very good relationship with. They also seem to be in the wild card hunt, with a loyal fan following. As well as son promising up and comers.

Is it common to have a favorite NL and favorite AL? What can you guys tell me about these two teams? Are my assumptions accurate? Thanks!

Old 07-24-2015, 09:34 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,921,314 times
Quote:

NY Mets- I like this team because for one it is my "home" which makes it easier to follow and watch games on tv. They look to be in the wild card hunt. They have a few veteran stars and some promising young players. They are the underdog of the city which keeps away alot of bandwagon fans.

MN Twins - The main reason is the affiliation to the Rochester Red Wings which they seem to have a very good relationship with. They also seem to be in the wild card hunt, with a loyal fan following. As well as son promising up and comers.

Is it common to have a favorite NL and favorite AL? What can you guys tell me about these two teams? Are my assumptions accurate? Thanks!
The Rochester team in the Minnesota Twins' only AAA team. AAA is the closest step to the major leagues. Not long ago the Twins organization resigned an extension agreement to keep their AAA team in Rochester.

The Twins are surprising everyone with how they're doing, mostly with how Manager Paul Molitor is handling all the youngsters that they've called up. They also brought back Tori Hunter, who even though he just turned 40, is playing like he's 15 years younger. He was originally a Twin and ranks as one of the biggest fan favorites that ever wore a Twin uniform. He's a great role model for the youngsters and keeps the clubhouse loose.

The Twins still have established stars like Joe Mauer and Glen Perkins along with a couple guys who appear to be future superstars in Miguel Sano and Brian Dozier.

I can't count how many rookies and 2nd year players have played on this roster this year. The blend has been successful overall. If the season ended today, they would make the playoffs as a wild card team. So, if you go see a Rochester game you're watching many players that get called up (and occasionally sent down) all the time to play for the Twins.

This team has the makings of only getting better. Come along for the ride.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:06 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,464,279 times
Quote:

Blue Jays. Closest team to you in Toronto. Have won 2 World Series in the last 25 years, but last one was 1993. Last made the playoffs in 1993, currently longest playoff drought in the majors (and maybe even professional sports??).
Fan base is passionate, as they have pretty much the whole country of Canada behind them, except a few in Western BC in the Vancouver area that are Mariners fans. Have some good young players that will make up a nice core for the next 8-10 years, assuming they don't get traded for a Hamels, Shields, Chapman, etc in Dalton Pompey (CF), Devin Travis (2b), Daniel Norris (SP) & Aaron Sanchez (reliever turned starter), to go along with Josh Donaldson who's about to get a big pay day in arbitration.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:12 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,464,279 times
Quote:

Unlike other sports like basketball & hockey, you only play the every league for 3 to 4 games every 3 years, so for example the Twins & the Mets last played 3 games in 2013 in Minnesota. They'll play either 3 or 4 games next season (2016) and won't play again until 2019, so I know a lot of fans that are fans of both teams. As long as you don't pick a city rival (aka Mets & Yankees, Angels & Dodgers) I think it's fine. My favorite team is the Nationals (NL), but I also like the Blue Jays (AL) as well. Sure, when they play during the season is tough, but over a 3 year span they'll only play 3 games against each other out of a total of 486.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball