Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 09:34 PM

52,689 posts, read 47,955,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Well, the Texas teams really choked there. And I'm sorry but those were both chokes. Anyone who says otherwise: Rangers won the first 2 on the road, granted they were both close games, but they still won both, and then got blown out at home, lead in the 7th inning and then couldn't field a ground ball hit to them. Watching Andrus in the 7th inning (booting the error by Martin then the 2 errors on the force plays) was like watching Drew Storen in the 9th inning in the Cards/Nats NLDS game 5 except the Nats didn't commit any errors behind him.

As for the Astros: they were up 6-2 in the 8th inning at home. Sorry, you HAVE TO win that game, no excuses.
Agreed. Everything goes right back to that, and it haunted the 'Stros tonight in a game that really should not have even happened. I still feel the Astros had their best person at the time in the game in the eighth inning of Game 4. You've got to get guys out, and hopefully, they've learned that lesson now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 09:40 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,467,044 times
Johnny Cueto was magnificent in game 5 against the Astros. After he gave up the 2 run homer he retired 19 in a row finishing the 8th with less than 100 pitches. Morales' 3 run homer in the bottom of the 8th was a nail in the coffin. A 5 run lead with Wade Davis pitching the top of the 9th was just a formality. On to a repeat of the 1985 ALCS. It will be a real contrast in stiles between two very good teams.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:48 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
You've got to get guys out, and hopefully, they've learned that lesson now.
You mean that previously they were unaware that they had to get those guys out?

If they had only known....

Old 10-14-2015, 09:55 PM

52,689 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You mean that previously they were unaware that they had to get those guys out?

If they had only known....
Well, they just didn't, GS. And it cost them.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:59 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,366 times
Well, I'm going to game 5 tonight. Hope to see a Dodger victory, but wouldn't be mad if they lost either.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:57 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Well, I'm going to game 5 tonight. Hope to see a Dodger victory, but wouldn't be mad if they lost either.

So, I take it you're not a fan of Mattingly I guess??

Old 10-15-2015, 03:39 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Imagine if Bautista just started a bat flip revolution with that bat flip. It would be cool if he did, I love bat flips and the excitement of a big moment

Old 10-15-2015, 05:18 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Imagine if Bautista just started a bat flip revolution with that bat flip. It would be cool if he did, I love bat flips and the excitement of a big moment
Go in that direction and it probably won't be too many years from now that we are seeing a no taunting rule in baseball.

More than other sports, baseball has resisted getting into that trash talking/sack dancing/showboating dynamic which was first popularized by the early '80's Miami Hurricanes. I think one of the major reasons that it is less prevalent in baseball is that the sport sends the players up to the plate one at a time and offenders are stationary targets in the batter's box.

Baseball also has all those unwritten rules, like not stealing in the late innings of a one sided game, which so many players seem to take seriously and think it worth a fight if they are violated. Remember that fuss recently about retired runners returning to the dugout in front of the mound rather than behind it? People who think that sort of thing important are less likely to tolerate excessive displays of gloating.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:49 PM

1,069 posts, read 712,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Go in that direction and it probably won't be too many years from now that we are seeing a no taunting rule in baseball.

More than other sports, baseball has resisted getting into that trash talking/sack dancing/showboating dynamic which was first popularized by the early '80's Miami Hurricanes. I think one of the major reasons that it is less prevalent in baseball is that the sport sends the players up to the plate one at a time and offenders are stationary targets in the batter's box.

Baseball also has all those unwritten rules, like not stealing in the late innings of a one sided game, which so many players seem to take seriously and think it worth a fight if they are violated. Remember that fuss recently about retired runners returning to the dugout in front of the mound rather than behind it? People who think that sort of thing important are less likely to tolerate excessive displays of gloating.
Agreed....the next time Joey Bats plays Texas, especially in Texas....90+ fastball under the chin....no reason for a bat flip, you are just showing up the pitcher and the other team....drop the bat and take your jog around the bases....no reason for showboating

Old 10-15-2015, 06:23 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,467,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
Agreed....the next time Joey Bats plays Texas, especially in Texas....90+ fastball under the chin....no reason for a bat flip, you are just showing up the pitcher and the other team....drop the bat and take your jog around the bases....no reason for showboating
I was thinking the same thing myself. Imagine if he did that off Bob Gibson? The next time he faced Gibby he would be going away wearing a substantial bruise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball