Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 10:44 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,394,691 times

Advertisements

Similar to TV vs radio thread, anybody here that thinks that watching baseball at the stadium is better? Personally I'd rather watch baseball at the stadium because it's more fun and you get the experience to watch the players when you are at the stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 11:55 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
For me it depends upon the seat location at the stadium. I do not really enjoy just being there if I cannot see the action because I'm too far away. In '84, when the All Star Game was to be at Candlestick, I bought a limited season ticket package which came with the right to buy an All Star ticket. The seats for that game turned out to be in the outfield upper deck and the players looked like moving dots on a green canvas. You couldn't even see the flight of the ball when it was pitched. I felt badly cheated and spent the night pissed off.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:20 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times
Really depends on the game & seating like mentioned above. With the seating though I'm not even talking about how close you are but how comfortable your seating is.

I went to Wrigleyfield this summer and I had 1st row on the top deck. Perfect view for the game but it was just to crowded. To the point I was uncomfortable all game.

Because of that I'd never probably go to a game at that stadium unless I knew I was getting an isle seat or one of the more "luxury" type seats.

I'm debating on going to the World Series if the Dodgers make it this year but another thing I'd have to take into consideration is which game it is. If it's a clinching game do I want to be at a stadium versus post game coverage? I enjoy watching post game coverage most of the time & if you're at the stadium you probably won't get any of that.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:35 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
I've only been to a couple of Major League and NFL games in person and like mentioned above, didn't really enjoy the experience because we were really too far away to see the action. I knew things were happening on the field because we could see the dots moving around, but couldn't really tell what was going on.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:22 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
I hate the new K-zone that is now on every mlb screen

It makes the game almost unwatchable, Fox Sports Wisconsin uses a more transparent version or the side box version. I can't stand watching a game on MLB FOX or ESPN Sunday night baseball(tv crew aside). I have attended more games recently plus Miller Park has increased replays almost instantly after a play.

When it comes to seating, I am very picky. Aisle seat and must be behind home plate or at least enough too where I can see the scoreboard completely. Price is not an issue since the Brewers offer great ticket prices and levels and promo's also coupled with stub hub I can usually get into any game for about $6-20 at the cheapest level. It really depends on the park as well.

Miller Park's 4th level high but even in sec. 422 rows-1-4 are still pretty good seats. Comerica Park's first few rows are great, you are not that high up at all but you are a lot further away from the field than in Miller Park. I don't know about many other parks but the first row in any upper deck seat tends to have a slightly obstructed view with a bar at Miller Park and Glass at Comerica Park, now taller guys may not have this problem but I'm 5'7 and I actually prefer the 2nd row at Miller Park and Comerica Park.

Comerica:

Old 08-05-2018, 11:14 AM

4,863 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Similar to TV vs radio thread, anybody here that thinks that watching baseball at the stadium is better? Personally I'd rather watch baseball at the stadium because it's more fun and you get the experience to watch the players when you are at the stadium.

I absolutely LOVE going to a game at the stadium. I'm this way primarily because the 2 venues where I attend games are Target Field in Minneapolis and Kaufman Stadium in KC. In Target Field, I don't know what they could have done to make it better. It is gorgeous and you can enjoy the game wherever you sit. I went to KC a couple of weeks ago. This was the first time I've been there after the major remodel they did a few years ago. It's a lovely stadium with great seating as well. Just not quite as nice as Target Field. Ticket prices at KC were very reasonable though and the KC fans and Royals employees are wonderful.

After attending US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis to see a Vikings game 2 years ago, I'm not eager to ever go back. Beautiful stadium with seats so small you have to use a shoehorn to get in them AND there's horrible leg room in front of the seats as well. Tickets were also outrageous. I'll watch the Vikes from the comfort of home or my neighborhood sports bar from now on.

I'm sure if the stadiums I went to for baseball were like US Bank Stadium, I might change my opinion of live over TV.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:12 PM

251 posts, read 311,706 times
I'm lucky enough to be Cub fan so I get to go Chicago and Wrigley Field to see my team play. But tv is nice when I am not at a game.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:34 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportzfn View Post
I'm lucky enough to be Cub fan

...well there's a first for everything.

To the previous posters take on the new Vikings stadium reminds me of the Bradley center in Milwaukee great views from the first few upper deck rows but the seat width is right out of the 40's when the average man was 5'6 and a 140 lbs. The leg room is so bad at the BC that you feel like your legs are tucked behind your seat. I refused to go to any games at the BC except the home opener, I suffer 1 time a year. Thank GD they are building a new arena however if the seating sucks I'll stay home.

Sport arenas now have to compete with the ultimate viewing pleasures of man caves and home life, they better start making seats wider more comfortable similarly to how movie theaters have had to reinvent themselves.

BTW I have never been to "Wrigley Stadium"(ahem 44th) but what I hear it's cramped plus who wants to use horse troughs to relieve themselves.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:45 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
who wants to use horse troughs to relieve themselves.
They still have the troughs at the Oakland Coliseum.

They work as well as individual toilets for # 1.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:33 PM

326 posts, read 199,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I enjoy going to games at Safeco Field. I've sat everywhere in the stadium with the exception of directly behind home plate and IMO the best seats in the house are the terrace club. It's the middle tier around the stadium... waitresses take care of you in your seats and the bathrooms/food/bars are behind you in a walkway that is glass all the way around for visibility. When you get to the stadium the parking garage has an elevated walkway over the street directly to the terrace level allowing you to bypass all the entry line BS.

I haven't sat anywhere else for the last couple years. Tickets are about $75 each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball