Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 06:01 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,145,425 times

Advertisements

It is very sad how the Phillies collapsed. I grudgingly agree to give Kapler another year with a short leash. I don't think the pitching is that awful, but if they can sign or acquire someone established then yes farewell, Eiflin, Pivetta, and/or Velazquez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 04:15 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,723,245 times
I'm sure Kapler appreciates your generosity.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:57 AM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
They overperformed for much of the year. They finished about where I expected.. A single game below .500.

Nola is a star. Hoskins is coming into his own. They've got some good pieces. They just need a little more experience and a few more small parts.

I hate that they choked down the road, but.. Again.. They finished right where I expected them to.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:38 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,128,965 times
Maybe too much changes toward the end of the year...they brought in a ton of players, and perhaps upset the consistency and rhythm they developed.
Not sure about Kapler.. he is hard to figure out at times.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
Maybe too much changes toward the end of the year...they brought in a ton of players, and perhaps upset the consistency and rhythm they developed.
Not sure about Kapler.. he is hard to figure out at times.

I'm not a believer. I'll say that. I didn't get to watch as many games as I would have liked, but.. That first game of the year gave me a bad taste that I've yet to get rid of.

Fact is.. If they had played .500 over the last month of the season.. They would have tied the Braves at 90-72

That being said.. Does anyone think that this team could have stood up against anyone other than the Rockies in the NL? And the only reason I mention the Rockies specifically is because they were so hot over the final month.. Oftentimes when that happens, there's a playoff letdown.

God forbid they faced just about anyone from the AL.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:01 PM

938 posts, read 1,229,965 times
Gabe became Manager. A new era of statistical driven play. The blunders of taking out Nola, bringing Right Fielder in, shifting the infield and allowing a hit through shortstop (not just once), bringing in relief pitchers that couldn't hold the line the day before only to do the same thing the following night. It was as though in Gabe's mind he says "You got me once but not tonight". Wrong. There was that magical run where things seemed to go right. During all this 2 key players who had a decent bat, some fielding blunders but still I can't remember causing as many significant losses as the Manager. No matter how well Franco and Herrera performed constant talk of their replacement with some high priced talent. How would you perform in same scenario. This team and management shot themselves in the toe every opportunity they had. The hot dogs cost too much as well as the rest of the food and the presentation near the end was an ordeal not an event. No regular lineup is straight up stupid and trying to predict where a pro player will pop the ball is a waste of time. Can't wait until next year. Ugh!!!

Last edited by Norm Barnes; 10-03-2018 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: Errors in content

Old 10-03-2018, 08:13 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,146,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Barnes View Post
No regular lineup is straight up stupid and trying to predict where a pro player will pop the ball is a waste of time.
So then all 30 ML clubs which now employ extreme shifts based on hitter's tendencies are just wasting their time? All 30 clubs failed to uncover something that you know?

We are way, way past the stage of "I don't need no fancy dan statistics to tell me whats what, hrumpff!". Sabermetric analysis is now the norm. Think of it like color television...once it was introduced, there was no going back to black and white. The future has arrived and those not onboard will be left behind.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
So then all 30 ML clubs which now employ extreme shifts based on hitter's tendencies are just wasting their time? All 30 clubs failed to uncover something that you know?

We are way, way past the stage of "I don't need no fancy dan statistics to tell me whats what, hrumpff!". Sabermetric analysis is now the norm. Think of it like color television...once it was introduced, there was no going back to black and white. The future has arrived and those not onboard will be left behind.

I'm fine with analytics when choosing players.. But the level its going to within games will destroy the game, not make it better.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:16 PM

9,765 posts, read 7,485,605 times
I think they are in for a long 2019 too.

Braves are probably here to stay, though like the Nats in 2013 they will probably regress some the following season, but I'd still picture them with a win total in the mid-high 80's.
Speaking of the Nats, they will continue to be in the mix, as their demise in the media is greatly exaggerated even if they lose Harper. They'll still have the best pitcher in baseball in Scherzer, Turner, Rendon in his last year, Soto & Robles. I'll give them a few wins less than the Braves let's go mid 80's. Unless they decide to go for a full on rebuild which will be stupid.
Wheeler, deGrom & Syndergaard really came along for the Mets. If those 3 can repeat their 2018 performances, not miss many starts, and they actually get something productive out of Cespedes I could see them in the 80's too.

I think 3rd place next year is as high as the Phils get, with what happens with the Mets possibly 4th. If the season is about a week longer, the Mets probably pass the Phils this year to finish 3rd, just remember that.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:20 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,146,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'm fine with analytics when choosing players.. But the level its going to within games will destroy the game, not make it better.
I've lived long enough to see MLB survive numerous predictions of ruin. Expansion was going to be the death of baseball, then it was division play that would wreck the sport, then it was the DH rule, then it was artificial turf, then it was free agency, then it was interleague play, and then...well, you get the idea. Every time anything new has been introduced, be it batting helmets, nighttime baseball or instant replay, there would always be x number of Henny Pennys around preaching the arrival of Baseball Armageddon .

What gets written about baseball these days is far more interesting than the constantly recycled cliches of the sports journalism of my youth. The choices were limited, The ultra conservative Sporting News (where you could reliably find those predictions of doom) and the vacuous Baseball Digest (The Ten Most Exciting Double Play Combinations!) were pretty much it if you wanted something beyond your local newspaper's stuff. None of it was backed up in any scientific manner. Stats that supported an opinion were featured and stats which undermined it were ignored. In short it was 99% bullbleep.

These days you seldom see any baseball journalism express an opinion about a player's value without having first consulted some advanced stats. This is a massive improvement, a great reduction in the bullbleep percentages. That is going to destroy the game? How?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball