Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 01:30 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,600 times

Advertisements

It was just announced that the great Don Newcombe died today. He was the first ever Cy Young Award winner, he was a great Dodger and a great, classy man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 01:43 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
As a Giants fan I was supposed to hate Tommy Lasorda, and I did in all respects save enjoying him as a storyteller. One of his stories featured Don Newcombe. When Lasorda was trying to make it into the show as a pitcher, he struggled with control problems. Don Newcombe pulled him aside.
Newcombe: Tommy, if a batter hits a single off you and drops dead halfway to first, what happens?
Lasorda: They throw the ball to first and he is out.
Newcombe: Yes, but if you walk a batter and he drops dead halfway to first, what happens?
Lasorda: They put in a pinch runner for the dead guy.
Newcombe: And the moral of the story?
Lasorda: Don't nibble, throw strikes.

Lasorda never did learn to throw strikes consistently, and never made it as a ML pitcher, but he did recall Necombe's advice and decided to use it when he was a manager. When he was running one of the Dodger's farm clubs, he had a young pitcher (not identified in the story) who was having the same sort of control problems. So Tommy pulled him aside.
Lasorda: If a batter hits a single off you and drops dead halfway to first, what happens?
Young pitcher: The ball goes to first and he is out.
Lasorda: That's right. But if you walk a batter and he drops dead halfway to first, what then?
YP: They can bring in a pinch runner for the guy.
Lasorda: Right again....and the moral of the story?"
YP: If you're dead they have to replace you?

Old 02-19-2019, 02:43 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
All 'dem bums' were my childhood heroes, I was a Brooklyn fan back then. Such a different era, I remember Newcombe owning a liquor store in Newark NJ, back then even stars didn't earn enough playing sports and needed other income sources.

92 years is a pretty good run!

R.I.P Don

Old 02-19-2019, 09:48 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times
A lot of people don't know this but he left for 2 years of military service during Korean War. This was in the best years of his career. First year back looks like he struggled a little bit but not surprising since he was getting back.

I'm not sure it would've mattered but if he hadn't missed those 2 years which ultimately might have caused him to have 3 missing dominant type years. How close would he have been to the HOF.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:24 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Default Don Newcombe

Always a sad day to lose one of the legends....

Images of Don Newcombe

Wikipedia page with his story.

Baseball Reference stat page.

Sporting News story on Don Newcombe.

Los Angeles Times story on Don Newcombe.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:47 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
As our innocence and enthusiasm for the National Pastime changes as we advance in years, so must our take on individuals with "feet of clay" caught up n the sometimes-harsh glare of the media's spotlight, My respect for Mr. Newcombe increased tremendously when, along with the late Ryne Duren, he turned up at Mickey Mantle's funeral. Both men struggled with off-the-field problems, but they never gave up; Rest easy, Mr. Newcombe; hope you'll find an appropriate place in Cooperstown someday soon.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 02-20-2019 at 05:01 PM..

Old 02-21-2019, 11:17 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
Like quite a few of the pitchers of my childhood, Don Newcombe was not averse to putting one in the batter's ear. And the batters knew it. Del Ennis, Phillies' resident bad ass, strode up to the plate. Meanwhile, his teammates were giving Newk the racial business. Ennis went back to his guys and said, "If he throws at me and I survive, I'm coming back here and wrapping this bat around all of your heads."

Thanks for the memories, big guy.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:57 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
RIP Newk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball