Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 05:57 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

[/u][/b]The reality is many of the bad deals you talk endlessly about were also key pieces of the SF world series championship teams. Other teams experience that also.
Except that isn't the reality.

Buster Posey...signed 8 year deal after the 2013 season, but the first three of those seasons he would have been under team control anyway. Posey would have been with the 2014 championship team whether or not he signed that contract.

Brandon Belt...signed five year deal in 2017, three seasons after last WS win.

Brandon Crawford...signed six year deal in 2016, two seasons after last WS win.

Evan Longoria...traded for his five years to go contract last year...never a part of SF WS teams.

Johnny Cueto...signed to six year deal in 2017....never a member of the SF WS teams.

Jeff Samardzija... signed to five year deal in 2017...never a member of SF WS teams

Mark Melancon...signed to a four year deal in 2017...never a member of SF WS team.

So, those are all the contracts in question, and it turns out that not a single one has any relationship at all to the SF World Series teams, much less being "key pieces."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 06:30 PM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Except that isn't the reality.

Buster Posey...signed 8 year deal after the 2013 season, but the first three of those seasons he would have been under team control anyway. Posey would have been with the 2014 championship team whether or not he signed that contract.

."
????

If you had not signed your best player long-term, in what hemisphere do you think you would ever attract another terrific player as either a FA or via trade, if they had to approve?

Players are severely underpaid pre FA. Now you can try to field a team solely amongst that group, but the first 3 years pre FA will be worthless, so your odds are horrible, w/o attracting quality stars who can play in many cities. For reference, Billy Beane is still chasing that first ring. SF GM's have gotten 3 this decade. I'd rather be SF front office than Oakland. What about you?

If you throw Posey away like garbage at the end of his pre FA period, what do you think post FA quality players will do, when SF comes calling?

KPI are fine, but the human element is a big part of the equation also. One signing brings another about. If Phils did not spend the next few years, and fielded SF style teams heading for the basement, Trout in Philly would never occur.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:35 PM

PS: I did not like most of SF signings. Not due to $-due to who they picked. Posey one was fine. MLB's best catcher for MANY years.

But signings viewed in a vacuum are not wise. Most teams never signing a long-term deal will never sniff a WS ring. There are a few dozen special players in MLB. want one-must ante up!

I'm a Met fan. If JD walks, we will be in SF basement league many years, or we will spend 3x what JD would cost to expedite getting back. Simply put, w/o JD, I see no chance to keep Conforto, Rosario, Syndergaard, etc. Each will see, if we let JD walk, we are not serious about playing with the Playoffville teams. I say that, being honest, as the Nats would have signed JD 2 years ago for at least 7-8 years. Before the Cy Young trophy. The Nats have had sustained success, while the Mets had 2 years, and only our ex GM's illness is giving us a new chance.

MLB is not the place for getting Dollar Store bargains.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
????

If you had not signed your best player long-term, in what hemisphere do you think you would ever attract another terrific player as either a FA or via trade, if they had to approve?

Players are severely underpaid pre FA. Now you can try to field a team solely amongst that group, but the first 3 years pre FA will be worthless, so your odds are horrible, w/o attracting quality stars who can play in many cities. For reference, Billy Beane is still chasing that first ring. SF GM's have gotten 3 this decade. I'd rather be SF front office than Oakland. What about you?

If you throw Posey away like garbage at the end of his pre FA period, what do you think post FA quality players will do, when SF comes calling?

KPI are fine, but the human element is a big part of the equation also. One signing brings another about. If Phils did not spend the next few years, and fielded SF style teams heading for the basement, Trout in Philly would never occur.
None of the above even slightly mitigates your error. Not one of the contracts under discussion has any bearing whatsoever on the three Giants WS wins. Not one. I do not know how I could have presented you with more blatant and overwhelming proof of this. Had Posey not been signed in 2013 to the 8 year deal, all that means is that he would have been eligible for arbitration in 2014 and 2015, but still under team control. His first walk year would have been 2016. Posey's contract extension meant only a difference in what he was paid for 2014, he still would have been with the team. None of the other contracts were even signed before the Giants finished winning World Series. None.

Your choice was to admit your error....or write something foolish and incomprehensible such as you did above.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:38 PM

293 posts, read 121,164 times
Quote:
My hunch is East gets at least 8 playoff spots next 4 years.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
None of the above even slightly mitigates your error. Not one of the contracts under discussion has any bearing whatsoever on the three Giants WS wins. Not one. I do not know how I could have presented you with more blatant and overwhelming proof of this. Had Posey not been signed in 2013 to the 8 year deal, all that means is that he would have been eligible for arbitration in 2014 and 2015, but still under team control. His first walk year would have been 2016. Posey's contract extension meant only a difference in what he was paid for 2014, he still would have been with the team. None of the other contracts were even signed before the Giants finished winning World Series. None.

Your choice was to admit your error....or write something foolish and incomprehensible such as you did above.
Wrong again.

Simply put, I do not think a single metric is the key to success. I think it plays a role. I also think, long-term, the Posey signing can assist the Giants in rebuilding, as FAs will not fear them being the Oakland A's from the buget perspective. It sets a tone of a willingness to invest. Realmuto forced Miami to deal him, as he saw their tone was "cheap, cheap, cheap".

You think KPI is the only tool. I do not.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualBaseball View Post
Simply put, with NL West conceding, Central mediocre at best, 2 a year NL east quite conservative.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Harper has earned 47 million already in his career, what can he do with 330 million more that he couldn't do with say, just 100 million more?
It is none of our business.

Taylor Swift is worth $400 mill. Should she do all future concerts for free, as she does not need the money anymore?

Old 03-03-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Wrong again.

Simply put, I do not think a single metric is the key to success. I think it plays a role. I also think, long-term, the Posey signing can assist the Giants in rebuilding, as FAs will not fear them being the Oakland A's from the buget perspective. It sets a tone of a willingness to invest. Realmuto forced Miami to deal him, as he saw their tone was "cheap, cheap, cheap".

You think KPI is the only tool. I do not.
This has nothing to do with your error.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:07 PM

1,553 posts, read 925,394 times
465-footer for Harp today, eh

Ya think he'll have some fun playin' 81 in that ball park...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball