Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2022, 03:39 AM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

My solution: Early in a game, on a big shift with no IF by 3rd, man on 1st, employ a hit and run on a bunt. Panic by the defense not used to needing to catch throws on the move, unsure who covers third, is a great way to shift behavior. Bunt towards the SS hole. HARD, so it cannot be fielded easily with a race by the same fielder to 3rd. Make 2 IFs move rapidly, and unexpectedly.

And, have the trailing runner take 2nd. The odds of defensive success are low here.

https://nypost.com/2022/04/16/four-f...ra-outfielder/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2022, 08:30 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
My solution: Early in a game, on a big shift with no IF by 3rd, man on 1st, employ a hit and run on a bunt. Panic by the defense not used to needing to catch throws on the move, unsure who covers third, is a great way to shift behavior. Bunt towards the SS hole. HARD, so it cannot be fielded easily with a race by the same fielder to 3rd. Make 2 IFs move rapidly, and unexpectedly.

And, have the trailing runner take 2nd. The odds of defensive success are low here.

https://nypost.com/2022/04/16/four-f...ra-outfielder/
I don't know what the reason is, but the art of bunting seems to be sorely lacking in today's players. When a shift to the right is on ESPECIALLY with a left hand batter at the plate, it's relatively easy to lay a bunt down the 3rd base line. Granted I'm no major leaguer by any sense of the word, but laying down a pitch that's in the middle or outside of the plate is a pretty easy thing to do. Hell of a lot easier than hitting it.

If you're incapable of bunting, I don't know how you can even make it to the majors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball