Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 11:59 AM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times

Advertisements

Hi, guys and gals. I've got a thought to share with each of you. We talk a lot about our favorite baseball teams, but have we ever thought about what we'd do if each of us were the general manager of his/her favorite team? Think about it: After the offseasons we've had, sometimes we've discussed what possibly could have been done differently, as, say, there was a trade or acquisition that we didn't agree with, or why we couldn't get this player or that player.

So, let's all gather around the computer campfire for a little bit, and let's just see what would happen if you and I were the GM of your/my favorite MLB team. What would you have done this offseason with your team if you were running it?

Let 'er rip, folks, and I'll be back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 04:38 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
I would convince my owner to buy WGN and make it the 24hr Brewer Nation Channel!!! Oh I would also replay the Whitesox World Series winning game and the infamous Bartman game for the cub fans!!

I would have went after Krod and Mark Texiera.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:35 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Speaking for the Indians here, though I also root for the Phillies too, I am slightly tilted more towards the Tribe.

I would make a deal with the Red Sox for "excess starting pitcher" Clay Buchholz. Looking at the Red Sox needs I would offer up Kelly Shoppach and probably a middle of the pack minor league prospect, such as OF Trevor Crowe or a pitcher such as Steven Wright.

I also would have signed veteran minor league 2nd baseman Joe Thurston to a minor league contract, and let him compete for the starting job at 2nd base.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:53 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Default What I Would Do As Astros GM

If I were GM of the Astros, I would have had to structure contracts so as not to overburden the payroll. That said, I would have loved to set aside a little more money for Randy Wolf with owner Drayton McLane's blessing. He pitched some of his career's best baseball last summer with the Astros and was a very good acquisition that led to a 36-16 run for Houston right after the All-Star break. Now, I would have done that already, signing Wolf. When it comes time to draft, I'd be very aggressive, because I believe in players getting developed through a serious farm system. They have to have a good starting point. As for the other things at the Winter Meetings, I wouldn't have done anything much different.

Now, back to Randy Wolf in reality. They may yet still get to sign him, anyway, as he is still unclaimed.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:51 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,728,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I would convince my owner to buy WGN and make it the 24hr Brewer Nation Channel!!! Oh I would also replay the Whitesox World Series winning game and the infamous Bartman game for the cub fans!!

I would have went after Krod and Mark Texiera.
**** man....typical anti-Cubs fan. What is with you people and talking about the Cubs ALL THE TIME. This topic is about YOUR team, yet you dropped the Cubs a few times.

"Buy WGN"...cubs station basically
"SS WS" opposite of cubs NS team
"Bartman" cubs fan....

Give it a rest.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:53 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,728,348 times
I would have kept Kerry Wood and signed Derek Lowe...of course all things are not possible because of contracts and dollar figures. Would have been nice to keep DeRosa, but we had no one else to give, and Milton should be a nice boost.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:51 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
If I was the GM of the Mets, there would be a housecleaning like you've never seen before. Martinez and Castillo, first to go! The former is over the hill, and the latter could be replaced by anyone with more productive results. And I would have made more of an offer to Derek Lowe, as well as getting into the Teixeira sweepstakes.

Based on his exciting performance in 2008, I would give Dan Murphy a legitimate shot at a regular spot in the outfield. Re: catchers. I don't care what Paul LoDuca did or may have done off the field. I'd bring him back for another year. He could throw out baserunners and handle the pitching staff--which are the two things you really need a catcher to do.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:54 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,662 times
If I were GM of the Red Sox, I would sign Tek, move Wake to the pen for long relief and a spot start, made sure that I answered the phone when NewToCA called me, and would be shagging Diane Lane morning, noon, and night.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:03 PM

823 posts, read 2,216,168 times
If I was the GM of the Yankees I would:

- Tell Pettitte the $10M offer is final. Take it or take a hike
- If he declines, I bring in Sheets and see if I could get Garland cheaply
- Trade Nady for say Dukes on the Nats. Just for the Bloodsport refs (yes, I realize it is spelled differently).
- See if Manny wants to come home. Nothing crazy, but if he is willing to accept a reasonable deal to beat the crap out of Boston (2y/30M ?) he can play on my team any time.

Then I would call Epstein and tell him his refrigerator is running, etc.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:15 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Speaking for the Indians here, though I also root for the Phillies too, I am slightly tilted more towards the Tribe.

I would make a deal with the Red Sox for "excess starting pitcher" Clay Buchholz. Looking at the Red Sox needs I would offer up Kelly Shoppach and probably a middle of the pack minor league prospect, such as OF Trevor Crowe or a pitcher such as Steven Wright.

I also would have signed veteran minor league 2nd baseman Joe Thurston to a minor league contract, and let him compete for the starting job at 2nd base.
As an additional observation, if I couldn't swing the deal proposed (above) for Buchholz, I'd see if I could sign Braden Looper for 3 years at $15-18 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball