Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:19 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,651,159 times

Advertisements

Howdy folks,

After all my years of ripping into baseball as a poor excuse for a sport, I've actually really got into it recently and have been watching as much as possible. So I'd like to start by eating my words and apologising for all the posts I have ever made lambasting the sport. It's good really.

Anyhoo, one thing I've never quite got is that after each inning a scoreboard-style graphic is displayed on the screen (on tv broadcasts) with three columns: 'R' 'H' and 'E'. Could someone please explain what they mean because I don't get it? This probably sounds like a horrendously noobish question but I'm a Brit so I can explain a Marillier shot in cricket or the formation of a rugby scrum but I'm a bit clueless when it comes to the finer details of America's pastime.

Thanks!

Will

(p.s. Go Mets! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 05:00 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,148,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
Howdy folks,

After all my years of ripping into baseball as a poor excuse for a sport, I've actually really got into it recently and have been watching as much as possible. So I'd like to start by eating my words and apologising for all the posts I have ever made lambasting the sport. It's good really.

Anyhoo, one thing I've never quite got is that after each inning a scoreboard-style graphic is displayed on the screen (on tv broadcasts) with three columns: 'R' 'H' and 'E'. Could someone please explain what they mean because I don't get it? This probably sounds like a horrendously noobish question but I'm a Brit so I can explain a Marillier shot in cricket or the formation of a rugby scrum but I'm a bit clueless when it comes to the finer details of America's pastime.

Thanks!

Will

(p.s. Go Mets! )
(R)-runs
(H)-hits
(E)-errors

Old 06-01-2009, 08:16 AM

Thanks. What is meant by the term 'error'?

Old 06-01-2009, 09:28 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,380,644 times
Quote:
Thanks. What is meant by the term 'error'?
An error is charged to a player when in the judgement of the official scorer he fails to make a defensive play that should have been made.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:29 AM

308 posts, read 758,099 times
An error, put in the simplest terms, is any play that a fielder should have made but failed to do so. For example, if there is a ground ball to a fielder and it hits off of his glove and the batter reaches, that would be an error on that fielder. It is a little more complex than that, but that's what an error is simplyp put.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:57 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,492,660 times
and to think, I was giving my fiance a hard time not knowing what WHIP was....

Old 06-01-2009, 12:10 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
Quote:
Howdy folks,

Thanks!

Will

(p.s. Go Mets! )
Why are you a met's fan? Try a winning team...Milwaukee Brewers!

Old 06-01-2009, 01:12 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,046,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Why are you a met's fan?
I've been asking myself that question since April 1962.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:49 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Why are you a met's fan? Try a winning team...Milwaukee Brewers!

Old 06-01-2009, 08:53 PM

Haha, I've been a New York sports fan all my life but I can't possibly bring myself to support the Yanks. Not to mention the fact that one of the first full games I watched was the opener at Citi Field against the Padres, and I've been to Queens but never the Bronx. For me that counts.

Thanks for the help everyone and for not ripping on me too much about such a simple question. Much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball