Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 10:22 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times

Advertisements

I'm not one of these folks who rails against "the corporate machine" but I am really pissed off at Fox and MLB forcing me to watch baseball on Saturday at night. Of course there is that one 4pm national game on Fox, but 50% of the time I have no interest in the teams playing, and why do I have to wait to watch a baseball game from 4pm to 7pm? Are there no national games that could be played at 1pm? Could we do an east coast and a west coast game?

I think it really sucks and is just another example of how MLB (and professional sports in general) is giving fans the big middle finger as they do what they can to increase TV revenue at the expense of the fan.

Am I alone here or anyone else agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 10:36 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
I hate going to afternoon games in August. The later it starts, the better.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I hate going to afternoon games in August. The later it starts, the better.
It's June...not August. You never watch on TV?

Old 06-20-2009, 05:57 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I'm not one of these folks who rails against "the corporate machine" but I am really pissed off at Fox and MLB forcing me to watch baseball on Saturday at night. Of course there is that one 4pm national game on Fox, but 50% of the time I have no interest in the teams playing, and why do I have to wait to watch a baseball game from 4pm to 7pm? Are there no national games that could be played at 1pm? Could we do an east coast and a west coast game?

I think it really sucks and is just another example of how MLB (and professional sports in general) is giving fans the big middle finger as they do what they can to increase TV revenue at the expense of the fan.

I agree Neil, there's no reason why they can't do a 1:00 and a 4:00 like football. or since they do a 4:00 let the games at 1:00 be shown.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:20 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
It's June...not August. You never watch on TV?
Ok, so let me explain since the *point* sailed over your head. In summer, it is very hot. At 4 pm, it is the hottest art of the day. Going to a game in that weather sucks, whether it is 95 in June, July, August, September........whenever. I mean, you live outside Atlanta, you know how hot it gets in the summer. Now, having a game on tv around noon is fine. However, staging a lot of them at that time would not be ideal for people attending and playing the games.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Ok, so let me explain since the *point* sailed over your head. In summer, it is very hot. At 4 pm, it is the hottest art of the day. Going to a game in that weather sucks, whether it is 95 in June, July, August, September........whenever. I mean, you live outside Atlanta, you know how hot it gets in the summer. Now, having a game on tv around noon is fine. However, staging a lot of them at that time would not be ideal for people attending and playing the games.
Wow...do you give that condescending attitude to everyone, or just save it for the forums? I knew what you meant (thanks for "explaining"), but I was trying to point out that it's not all about going to the game, and the schedule is the same in April and September.

Personally, I have no problems going to games in hot weather, but to each his own. I should still be able to sit in my air conditioned living room and drink a beer (or ten) and watch a game at 1pm without having to wait until 4pm, have that game be a snooze fest, and have to wait until 7pm to catch the Red Sox or other game that I actually want to see. I pay for MLB Extra Innings, and I'd like to be able to catch a game.

So as far as points "sailing" over heads....look up.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:05 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
I am not sure I would want fox forcing me to watch their particular game of the week at 1 and 4. As it is now, if a team is playing earlier in the afternoon, I can still watch it on mlb.tv. However, during the fox blackout period, I am forced to watch ONLY the game on my local fox affiliate. Even if Fox is covering another game regionally, it is blacked out on mlb.tv due to the agreement between mlb and fox. What ends up happening then is that I generally am stuck watching either the Mets or Yankees, both of which are on local TV here anyway and available to watch the other 6 days of the week. For a special game of the week, I'd like to see somebody else now and then.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I don't miss 'em at all, largely because my team is actually forced by city ordinance to play all its Friday and Saturday home games during the day.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:34 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,195 times
Quote:

I agree. The Saturday afternoon game on NBC was great, and I enjoyed it immensely. I especially remember the Pirates wild 20-10 win over the Braves in 1971.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:35 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
I live in the Dallas area. It was 106 today.

Thank goodness the game started at 7:05! Got down to about 96 degrees by the 8th inning...

Day Padre games in San Diego, on the other hand, are delightful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball