Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 04:48 PM

295 posts, read 547,157 times

Advertisements

Now when comparing best baseball towns lets use Attendance, history, Fan knowledge, and overall support when a team is doing bad, does your city still come out even when the team is bad?

Right away When ever I see the Brew Crew play LA or Tampa Bay there's never any fans coming despite a great team, now take the brewers for instance with only 2 million people are avg more people than boston while having a smaller stadium at 41,900. Milwaukee is avg 38,000 a game and will pass 3million. I say Milwaukee great baseball town including the tailgating at Miller Park and just the buzz the whole city has. How come Arizona fans never seem to be wearing and Dbacks gear I also see this in a lot of very successful cities as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 05:21 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,969,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILWCITY View Post
Now when comparing best baseball towns lets use Attendance, history, Fan knowledge, and overall support when a team is doing bad, does your city still come out even when the team is bad?

Right away When ever I see the Brew Crew play LA or Tampa Bay there's never any fans coming despite a great team, now take the brewers for instance with only 2 million people are avg more people than boston while having a smaller stadium at 41,900. Milwaukee is avg 38,000 a game and will pass 3million. I say Milwaukee great baseball town including the tailgating at Miller Park and just the buzz the whole city has. How come Arizona fans never seem to be wearing and Dbacks gear I also see this in a lot of very successful cities as well.
By the way, I belatedly welcome you to City-Data.

You can make a strong case for Milwaukee because of its history, and you have to also remember the Braves making residence there for some years. You also have Seattle to thank. That's right. The Seattle Pilots. When it didn't work in their one season in 1969, the Pilots up and moved to Milwaukee and you got to start fresh all over again. Great players through the years, plus Uecker, beer, and brats. To answer the Phoenix question, it's a great spring baseball town. The D-backs do deserve better support. They've had their ups and downs, but the franchise is still relatively young, and it isn't that bad.

Other great baseball towns are St Louis, New York, Boston, and Los Angeles. They've always got the fans coming out no matter how their team does, and there is always that buzz. There's no questioning their loyalties, and they are the envy of other MLB cities.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:47 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,863,657 times
Not sure how much I agree with St. Louis or L.A.
LA has the shear population numbers to give off the appearance of interest.. as does NY.
St. Louis has done well in recent years, but I remember going to games there where the stadium wasn't close to being full, and the opposing team's fans were louder. This was in the early-mid nineties, right before the McGuire stuff. A very large percentage of Cardinal's fans right now are just riding the bandwagon. They'll jump ship as soon as their team starts losing again. I will say that the people in St. Louis' traditional market for the most part are loyal, but they get frustrated and often give up, just like anybody else.

I remember watching highlights of RedSox and Yankee's games in the late 80's, early 90's, and both stadiums were often empty looking on TV. Nobody sitting in the outfield, or upper decks....
Every team has it's dog days at some point.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:17 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,313,004 times
Tampa Bay has proven without a doubt that they are among the worst baseball towns. When the best team in the AL East hosts the best team in the AL West with the best record in baseball claim on the line, a MEDIOCRE baseball town is going to fill about 70% of the seats. The good people of Tampa bay couldn't be bothered to fill their stadium even half way. And they want a new place??

The fans in the Carolinas will show the Rays organization what fan support really means soon enough, I expect.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:56 PM

295 posts, read 547,157 times
The Brewers have big history not so much winning but Milwaukee as a city. Milwaukee baseball teams going back into the 19th century. The city had hosted a major league team by that name in 1901, a charter member of the American League, which relocated at the end of that season to become the St. Louis Browns (now the Baltimore Orioles). From 1902 through 1952, a minor league Milwaukee Brewers club in the American Association had been so successful that it lured the Braves from Boston.
-wiki
Keep in mind that Milwaukee has had 3 World Series appearances since 1908(year of the goat) 1957 which the Braves beat New York, 1958 Lost to New York, 1982 Brewers lost to St Louie in 7.

Since the new owner has taken over the Milwaukee Brewers is now a "Great Baseball Town"

Thanks Mark Attanasio from the Bronx.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
Tampa Bay has proven without a doubt that they are among the worst baseball towns. When the best team in the AL East hosts the best team in the AL West with the best record in baseball claim on the line, a MEDIOCRE baseball town is going to fill about 70% of the seats. The good people of Tampa bay couldn't be bothered to fill their stadium even half way. And they want a new place??

The fans in the Carolinas will show the Rays organization what fan support really means soon enough, I expect.
Well, now, who knows where Tampa-St Pete would have gone if they'd only had different ownership during the Vince Naimoli years?? Had things been done the right way, who knows? It takes years to build traditions, and it wouldn't be fair to judge Tampa-St Pete after just 10 years. No, they haven't had much success, but that's about to change. Let's see if Tampa becomes a good baseball town by the time we reevaluate this again in, say, about 2045.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:56 PM

284 posts, read 696,508 times
How about Chicago cubs as a cubs fan when i go to a game it is always packed and when was the last time we won a world series

Old 08-27-2008, 03:49 AM

Default Baseball in the Great Lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxnasi View Post
.....when was the last time we won a world series?
Long before we were all born. Enjoy that fabulous regular season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxnasi View Post

How about Chicago cubs as a cubs fan when i go to a game it is always packed......
Chicago, overall, does have that history, too, that does go way back. The ivy, the crowds, Harry Caray, the old Comiskey, and so much more. You can make a case for them.

I can also add Detroit, too. They've had so many great players way back when and their fans had a loyal following.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:02 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,313,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Well, now, who knows where Tampa-St Pete would have gone if they'd only had different ownership during the Vince Naimoli years?? Had things been done the right way, who knows? It takes years to build traditions, and it wouldn't be fair to judge Tampa-St Pete after just 10 years. No, they haven't had much success, but that's about to change. Let's see if Tampa becomes a good baseball town by the time we reevaluate this again in, say, about 2045.
Saw this line somewhere else: Rays fans can't even fill a bandwagon halfway.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:00 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,857 times
I would say the best baseball towns are Chicago, Boston, New York, St. Louis, Milwaukee and Detroit, roughly in that order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball