Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:42 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times

Advertisements

He stated tonight at his press conference that Gilbert will be fined $100, 000 for his inappropiate comments.

He also stated he was not pleased with Lebron going on ESPN to make his decision and that he received very poor advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 12:21 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
Not surprised by Stern's action. Gilbert seemed to go into orbit and only make a big disappointment to Cleveland worse by his outrageous remarks [esp that the Cavs will win a championship before Lebron does in Miami! ]. The feedback via sports writers\ radio & TV commentators is quite negative over the ESPN "decision" show with Lebron. That may not happen again but who else in the NBA had the interest of the nation that James did? Even Larry King interviewed Lebron.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:12 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
saying that LBJ threw games/gave up is pretty significant allegation - surprised more criticism wasn't given to Gilbert for saying that -

Old 07-13-2010, 05:54 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Not surprised by Stern's action. Gilbert seemed to go into orbit and only make a big disappointment to Cleveland worse by his outrageous remarks [esp that the Cavs will win a championship before Lebron does in Miami! ]. The feedback via sports writers\ radio & TV commentators is quite negative over the ESPN "decision" show with Lebron. That may not happen again but who else in the NBA had the interest of the nation that James did? Even Larry King interviewed Lebron.

When he made the comment about the Cavs winning a title before Lebron I thought he was having a nervous breakdown

Old 07-13-2010, 08:00 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,309 times
I don't necessarily agree with the letter but Lebron is a self serving egotistical moron and Dan Gilbert called him on it.

The bottom line: .Irrespective of any differences, LeMoron owed that city/team a respectful departure.

At the end of the day, the guy lost much more than Dan Gilbert, he has lost the respect of his hometown, fans and teammates alike. Dan Gilbert will not be remembered as being fined $100k for his letter, but Lebron will always be remembered as an arsehole, no matter how many rings he wins. . .Good riddance!

Old 07-13-2010, 08:08 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Stern also rightfully chastised shakedown artist Rev Jackson for his comments.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:26 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
I think it's ridiculous! The NBA wants to sweep this under the rug! I mean, God forbid that this would happen in LA or Boston, he'd be all over investigating to see if there was tampering. But it's only Cleveland!

Furthermore, since when can't Dan Gilbert exercise his freedom of speech? Lebron is an egotistical moron in which he proved last Thursday, and Gilbert called him on it! I don't feel bad for Lebron as he led Cleveland, it's fans, and his organization by the nose, only to stick it to us on national tv!

Thank God football season is coming! 2 more weeks to training camp!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:30 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I think it's ridiculous! The NBA wants to sweep this under the rug! I mean, God forbid that this would happen in LA or Boston, he'd be all over investigating to see if there was tampering. But it's only Cleveland!

Furthermore, since when can't Dan Gilbert exercise his freedom of speech? Lebron is an egotistical moron in which he proved last Thursday, and Gilbert called him on it! I don't feel bad for Lebron as he led Cleveland, it's fans, and his organization by the nose, only to stick it to us on national tv!

Thank God football season is coming! 2 more weeks to training camp!
I think Gilbert stating that LeBron didn't give his best effort in specific playoff games is what led to the fine. Without those comments, I don't think that Gilbert would have been fined at all.

Stern also stated that LeBron used poor judgment in not providing earlier notice to the Cavs that he wasn't returning.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:51 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I think Gilbert stating that LeBron didn't give his best effort in specific playoff games is what led to the fine.
Is it a fine-worthy offense for a team owner to comment on how the team's employees do their jobs? Think of how many owners would be impoverished ...

Old 07-13-2010, 10:30 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
You notice that the NBA isn't imposing sanctions on ESPN for the outrageous spectacle of a special program created for no other reason than to propagate the King James Circus. Stern was "displeased" at James' actions--nothing more.

Lebron James has publicly declared his intention to become the first billionaire basketball player, and nobody better stand in his way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball