Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 07:40 AM

32,179 posts, read 34,852,961 times

Advertisements

I tend to agree with this view. But I'm not certain how you can enforce it consistently. Thoughts?

Quote:
But more generally, I believe the offense needs to get the benefit of the doubt on block/charge calls. A drive to the basket is an optimistic, joyful move; trying to get run over is a cynical one. Though an offensive player should be called for charging if he rams through a defender in a set position, the NBA should draw a harder line about what constitutes a set position. You have a right to your spot on the floor. You should not have a right to slide to a spot on the floor with the intent of getting run over. If you happen to get stampeded, that’s a charge. If you maneuver yourself so you get stampeded, that’s a block.
NBA playoffs 2012: How the league can fix its foul trouble. - Slate Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 09:39 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,126,402 times
By eliminating the "offensive foul" completely which ruins the game of basketball. Grown men would rather fall to the ground like a little girl instead of playing defense. This would make the game so much better because there would be no flopping.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:25 AM

32,179 posts, read 34,852,961 times
Here's another article.

NBA Rule Change: Eliminating the Charge | Bleacher Report

Old 06-07-2012, 01:19 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,214,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
By eliminating the "offensive foul" completely which ruins the game of basketball. Grown men would rather fall to the ground like a little girl instead of playing defense. This would make the game so much better because there would be no flopping.
I agree. Especially the ones where the offensive player is in motion and they allow someone to step in front of him. I HATE that call and it is completely unfair. I mean once in the air or off the ground, it's pretty hard to stop or turn your body.

I don't like that one. Now if the offensive player is pushing or has a guy guarding him, and he RUNS him over from blatant recklessness, then thats a different story!

Old 06-07-2012, 01:32 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
I agree. Especially the ones where the offensive player is in motion and they allow someone to step in front of him. I HATE that call and it is completely unfair. I mean once in the air or off the ground, it's pretty hard to stop or turn your body.

I don't like that one. Now if the offensive player is pushing or has a guy guarding him, and he RUNS him over from blatant recklessness, then thats a different story!

I don't like when it's a three on one break and the point guard dishes the ball off to the guy on the wing and runs into the one defender who falls down but no longer has the ball but the ref still calls offensive foul

Old 06-07-2012, 06:38 PM

45,732 posts, read 27,361,084 times
Back in the "old" days - didn't the defender have to be set before the player took the two steps towards the basket?

Old 06-07-2012, 07:41 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Back in the "old" days - didn't the defender have to be set before the player took the two steps towards the basket?
I think so, but regardless the offensive foul should be eliminated

Old 06-07-2012, 07:46 PM

45,732 posts, read 27,361,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I think so, but regardless the offensive foul should be eliminated
You can't eliminate the offensive foul. But 90% of the charges would be blocking fouls in the 80's.

And how about the play with Rondo running into Chalmers - and Chalmers gets the foul - that's another fould that's getting to me.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You can't eliminate the offensive foul. But 90% of the charges would be blocking fouls in the 80's.

And how about the play with Rondo running into Chalmers - and Chalmers gets the foul - that's another fould that's getting to me.
eliminating the offensive will force everyone to play defense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball