Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:24 PM

121 posts, read 299,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Cleveland sports fans seem to derive more joy in cheering against teams they don't like than they do cheering for their favorite teams.
Well look at who they root for. I understand them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 05:43 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,617 times
He was their hero and he just left them with no looking back.
It must have really hurt. I'm sure glad Jordan didn't leave Chicago, it would have been heartbreaking.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:23 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Ohio has become Lebron's crazy ex....what's next? Boil his pet rabbit?

For crying out loud, have some dignity. Someone needs an intervention.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:24 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ohio has become Lebron's crazy ex....what's next? Boil his pet rabbit?

For crying out loud, have some dignity. Someone needs an intervention.
Hell hath no fury...

Old 06-14-2011, 10:24 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Wow...It's one thing for the owner to look like a douche but now the whole state...I am speechless.
obviously not the whole state.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:28 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
i understand what everyone is saying which is true about ohions being desperate.

but if patrick ewings had left the knicks , or jordan left chicago , or larry bird had left boston, or if johnson , and kobe had left lakers all of you residing in these cities would be heart broken , and root against them.

i honestly believe denver stayed with class after carmelos departure only because the team actually was a bit better when he left and they made those trades.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:46 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
It's the way Lebron left. If any of those stars had left with dignity and humility, while there would be a period of 'heartbroken-ness', it wouldn't have been what we see with Lebron. Hell when the season started, Lebron was getting booed out of the building every road game, as if he had wronged the entire country and not just Cleveland.

As far as I'm concerned Lebron James fulfilled the terms of his contract, and he made the Cavs franchise more relevant than at any time in their history, and that's including the Mark Price-Brad Daugherty era 20 years ago. Lebron went wrong in the following ways:

1) His 'suspect' play in Game 5 2010 playoffs vs Boston

2) The decision. The hoopla of it... the breakup with your team on national TV..... And the arrogance of 'I'm taking my talents to South Beach'. Words that have certainly come back to haunt him.

3) The 'championship' celebration last summer after Miami got Lebron and Bosh, and the guarantee of 8 titles, and it being 'easy'. BAD move, Lebron... and bad move by the Heat. Winning a championship should never be 'easy'. And if it is, that seriously cheapens it. It's like earning a degree after one week of class. 90% of the reward is in the journey, the work to climb the mountain. Jordan is revered because he took annual beatings from the Pistons for 3 years, before winning titles. And look at how he's viewed now, no-one cares about the early career failures. It's the ability to get knocked down, and come back stronger that resonates with people.

I will always maintain that if Lebron had left it on the floor and played his heart out last season when they lost to Boston, and then acted with some humility when he left, his departure would be viewed far differently than it is now. It's more HOW he left, then him actually leaving.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:55 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
It's the way Lebron left. If any of those stars had left with dignity and humility, while there would be a period of 'heartbroken-ness', it wouldn't have been what we see with Lebron. Hell when the season started, Lebron was getting booed out of the building every road game, as if he had wronged the entire country and not just Cleveland.
Great great post. It's not that he left but the incredibly insulting and disrespectful way that he left. Compare his actions to those of Big Z.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:41 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
i understand what everyone is saying which is true about ohions being desperate.

but if patrick ewings had left the knicks , or jordan left chicago , or larry bird had left boston, or if johnson , and kobe had left lakers all of you residing in these cities would be heart broken , and root against them.

i honestly believe denver stayed with class after carmelos departure only because the team actually was a bit better when he left and they made those trades.
"Denver stayed with class"... you do realize he was boo'd multiple times by his own crowd prior to becoming a Knick. They just got it out prior to the trade.

When Shaq left my team (Orlando), I was heartbroken but I got over it that week. I also didn't wish hard times on the guy (like the amount of hatred aimed at Lebron almost a year after he left the Cavs via the Decision). He did alot for us with the exposure he brought to our town/team. We had some good moments with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole
Great great post. It's not that he left but the incredibly insulting and disrespectful way that he left. Compare his actions to those of Big Z.
#1 Free Agent in best free agency market ever vs a hasbeen center that was getting cut by the Cavs either way. It is not even comparable.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:43 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post

As far as I'm concerned Lebron James fulfilled the terms of his contract, and he made the Cavs franchise more relevant than at any time in their history, and that's including the Mark Price-Brad Daugherty era 20 years ago. Lebron went wrong in the following ways:

1) His 'suspect' play in Game 5 2010 playoffs vs Boston

2) The decision. The hoopla of it... the breakup with your team on national TV..... And the arrogance of 'I'm taking my talents to South Beach'. Words that have certainly come back to haunt him.

3) The 'championship' celebration last summer after Miami got Lebron and Bosh, and the guarantee of 8 titles, and it being 'easy'. BAD move, Lebron... and bad move by the Heat. Winning a championship should never be 'easy'. And if it is, that seriously cheapens it. It's like earning a degree after one week of class. 90% of the reward is in the journey, the work to climb the mountain. Jordan is revered because he took annual beatings from the Pistons for 3 years, before winning titles. And look at how he's viewed now, no-one cares about the early career failures. It's the ability to get knocked down, and come back stronger that resonates with people.

I will always maintain that if Lebron had left it on the floor and played his heart out last season when they lost to Boston, and then acted with some humility when he left, his departure would be viewed far differently than it is now. It's more HOW he left, then him actually leaving.
Yeah, unfortunately Lebron's classes behavior not only continues it has spawned legions of classless anti-fans like Ohio's governor, the owner of the Cavs etc etc.

For what it's worth the "talents to south beach" have not haunted him....heck, he made the finals in the first year. Cleveland is an poorly run franchise that couldn't put any talent with Lebron. Frankly, I think I would have bailed on them after my rookie deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball