Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:48 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
For what it's worth the "talents to south beach" have not haunted him....
Haunt in the sense that many people have mocked that statement over the course of the year. Heck... go on espn.com, on the basketball page there's a section called ' Heat index: We've taken our talents to South beach'. Not to mention I've been on various message boards where that phrase has been mocked, dissected, ad nauseum. Even on this site that's happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 12:01 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
#1 Free Agent in best free agency market ever vs a hasbeen center that was getting cut by the Cavs either way. It is not even comparable.
You keep saying that phrase like it justifies LeBron's childish, classless behavior.

So what if he's the #1 free agent? Did Michael Jordan have a silly 1 hour special when he came out of retirement?

Old 06-14-2011, 12:02 PM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Haunt in the sense that many people have mocked that statement over the course of the year. Heck... go on espn.com, on the basketball page there's a section called ' Heat index: We've taken our talents to South beach'. Not to mention I've been on various message boards where that phrase has been mocked, dissected, ad nauseum. Even on this site that's happened.
I see your point. I just think it's a rather dumb reaction as lebron and gang have many years to win a title and quite frankly I would wager they will win at least 1 in the next 5 years or so.

Just like the Heat were clowns for their actions, a whole lot of people are going to be crying when it does eventually happen.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:13 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Quote:
lebron and gang have many years to win a title and quite frankly I would wager they will win at least 1 in the next 5 years or so.
Possible, but there's no guarantees. Any number of things could happen: perhaps another superteam emerges. Perhaps Dwight Howard joins Chicago and teams with Derrick Rose( that is a LETHAL combo). OKC is rising. The landscape of the NBA can change with one earth-shattering move( see Pau Gasol to Lakers, 2008). I have no doubt Miami will get better, fill out the roster. But they aren't the only team that will make moves, teams are always positioning themselves to improve. And, we have no way of knowing how Lebron will respond. His rep is in tatters at the moment. He went from Scottie Pippen proclaiming him the possible G.O.A.T, to being considered a GOAT, all in a two week span. Did he buckle under the weight? How will he respond? Stay tuned....

The reality is even making it to the finals isn't guaranteed, much less winning the whole thing. And Lebron, in this series, played with no sense of urgency, like he expects to be there for the next 10 years. You need to seize the moment when it's there to be seized. I really don't think Lebron did that this finals, for whatever reasons....

Last edited by Roman77; 06-14-2011 at 12:47 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 12:34 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
Quote:
I see your point. I just think it's a rather dumb reaction as lebron and gang have many years to win a title and quite frankly I would wager they will win at least 1 in the next 5 years or so.

Just like the Heat were clowns for their actions, a whole lot of people are going to be crying when it does eventually happen.
He's promised 8 titles.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:44 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
He's promised 8 titles.
Not only that -- but it was gonna be easy!

YouTube - ‪Lebron James Predicts Miami will win 8 championships or more‬‏

Old 06-14-2011, 01:12 PM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
He's promised 8 titles.
I'm well aware of the fact. We all know Lebron has a big mouth....which is highly contagious.

It's just funny to see all the rampant celebrating. It's not like Seal Team 6 took out Lebron and Miami....they will be back next year....and the year after....and so on. (I'm a Bulls fan and a long time follower of the NBA, I'm acutely aware of how tough Miami is going to be in coming seasons without being blinded by all the hyperbole.)

While there is no way he will win 8 championships I'd bet that Lebron wins a ring before Cleveland has a winning season.

So WHOOOOOOOOOOO! Yeah baby! Lebron only made it to game 6 of the finals his first year in Miami. Wow, what an incredible failure. Now we can look forward to next years 26 win season!

Old 06-14-2011, 01:18 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,990 times
Quote:
I'm well aware of the fact. We all know Lebron has a big mouth....which is highly contagious.

It's just funny to see all the rampant celebrating. It's not like Seal Team 6 took out Lebron and Miami....they will be back next year....and the year after....and so on. (I'm a Bulls fan and a long time follower of the NBA, I'm acutely aware of how tough Miami is going to be in coming seasons without being blinded by all the hyperbole.)

While there is no way he will win 8 championships I'd bet that Lebron wins a ring before Cleveland has a winning season.

So WHOOOOOOOOOOO! Yeah baby! Lebron only made it to game 6 of the finals his first year in Miami. Wow, what an incredible failure. Now we can look forward to next years 26 win season!
If LeBron doesn't learn from this series, he will never be the one to carry his team to winning the Finals. A little humility will go a long way with that guy.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:52 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times
Quote:
You keep saying that phrase like it justifies LeBron's childish, classless behavior.

So what if he's the #1 free agent? Did Michael Jordan have a silly 1 hour special when he came out of retirement?
Michael Jordan has had plenty of 1 hour specials. TNT aired 1 during all star break back in 03. His retirement, not 1, 2, but 3 times, each had a 15 min press conference. When he came out of retirement each time, there were plenty of specials including long end game press conferences talking with him about his first game back and how he felt.

But hey lets ignore everyone but Lebron...

The difference between the two is Jordan came back to the same team, Lebron left his.

Again, athletes have these type of specials all the time whether it is called "the Decision" or it is just an interruption of a 15-20 minute speech+questions or a scheduled 10-15 minute announcement on sportscenter... it is still the same thing.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:17 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,139,943 times
Ohio idolizes Texas, so this isn't surprising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball