Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 10:24 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Anyone remember "Steel"?
I've tried to forget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 02:20 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,299 times

Old 08-30-2012, 05:31 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,739 times
how come the Lakers are not as hated as the Yankees are?

Old 08-30-2012, 08:52 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
Because the Lakers don't dominate their sport the way the Yankees have throughout history. The Yankees have 27 World Series titles while the Lakers have 17 NBA titles. So its only natural that the Yankees would have more haters since they have won more titles than the Lakers. Plus their just something about having that "New York City type of ego" that apparently rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:26 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
Because at least since the previous CBA the NBA has a much better cap situation.

Basically, the Lakers have been a well run team and the Yankees have just thrown a ton of money at the problem which has in turn further imbalanced the league in terms of payroll.

In other words, if the Lakers were the Yankees they would have KEPT Bynum and signed Dwight, Deron Williams and 3-4 more guys.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I've tried to forget.
Kazam?

Shaq has made the worst movies of any athlete, including Brian Bosworth.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:26 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Because at least since the previous CBA the NBA has a much better cap situation.

Basically, the Lakers have been a well run team and the Yankees have just thrown a ton of money at the problem which has in turn further imbalanced the league in terms of payroll.

In other words, if the Lakers were the Yankees they would have KEPT Bynum and signed Dwight, Deron Williams and 3-4 more guys.
^^ This.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:03 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,677 times
The Lakers did rebuild in the 1990's. They missed the playoffs in 1994 and had a good stretch where they were mediocre at best. I remember guys like Sedale Threatt, Cedric Ceballos, and George Lynch. And who can forget Elden Campbell.

I remember my cousin and I getting a pair of free tickets (with good seats) to a game at the Forum in 1995. The Lakers had no real "star" players that year. We were more excited about seeing Olajuwon since it was a game against the Rockets. Getting tickets on the cheap (with good seats) was easy back then. Its nearly impossible now.

The Lakers had a twelve year drought between Magic/Kareem's last title and Shaq/Kobe's first. Unfortunately, I remember those times very well.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:34 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
The Lakers did rebuild in the 1990's. They missed the playoffs in 1994 and had a good stretch where they were mediocre at best. I remember guys like Sedale Threatt, Cedric Ceballos, and George Lynch. And who can forget Elden Campbell.
True, that rebuild was prematurely forced due to Magic's unexpected retirement. Unlike the NBA's other heralded franchise Boston Celtics who endured a decade of futility after Bird and Co. retired, the Lakers had a 4 year period of a lack of real star power till Shaq and Kobe joined in 2006. They were able to field a young, athletic team in-between Magic's retirement and Shaq/Kobe when they drafted Eddie Jones and Van Exel, along with Ceballos, Campbell etc.

I can imagine as a Lakers fans you must have comforted yourself from the short period of mediocrity by staring at the dozen or so championship banners overhead.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I can imagine as a Lakers fans you must have comforted yourself from the short period of mediocrity by staring at the dozen or so championship banners overhead.
Yep. That's always been my mantra.

I'd rather have my team hit the highest highs, even if it means having bad years.

The championships are what it's about.

IMO the Lakers have never been afraid to make ballsy, risky (but smart) moves.

I was REALLY curious where they were going to go in this off-season because they are kinda at a cross-roads. It looks like the pushed the gas pedal to the floor and are going for the win or the crash. I like their style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball