Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 12:23 AM

Location: The back alleys of Hong Kong and sometimes Brussels, Belgium
242 posts, read 268,750 times

Advertisements

Saw this statement on the newsfeed on ESPN earlier tonight. Do you think secretly that LeBron is more of a threat to Jordan, and that's why Jordan said this? Is Jordan really supporting Kobe, or does he want to inspire LeBron by making this statement? Whatever the case, LeBron's re-tweet was first class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 06:18 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,709,257 times
I think they're both equally credible threats, Lebron in terms of all-around dominance and Kobe in terms of championships and scoring ability. I think Jordan sees more of himself in Kobe in terms of the work ethic, the drive, the mindset, not to say that Lebron is lacking but considering Jordan more or less passed the torch to Kobe back in 2003, and they exchanged a few moments like this:

I just think Jordan has taken more to Kobe than Lebron since they actually exchanged some on-court moments and Kobe clearly patterned his game after MJ. As perimeter players neither are better( Kobe's best is behind him and we don't know how much better Lebron will get), but they're both as close as we've seen yet to Jordan's greatness.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:25 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
Default Jordan's comment as ridiculous as his sloped-shoulder suits

I thought Jordan made a stupid argument, picking the number of rings as the determination of who is a greater player between LeBron and Kobe. It's a team game. By his logic, Robert Horry is better than MJ. Not very deep, insightful wisdom coming from the so-called "greatest player to every play the game."

LeBron has great potential, but he hasn't played long enough, or overcome enough challenges, to be compared to Kobe or Jordan yet.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:45 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,709,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I thought Jordan made a stupid argument, picking the number of rings as the determination of who is a greater player between LeBron and Kobe. It's a team game. By his logic, Robert Horry is better than MJ. Not very deep, insightful wisdom coming from the so-called "greatest player to every play the game.
And taking that point further 11 definitely beats 6, which if he's using rings as a measuring stick when comparing one great against another, means that Bill Russell would be the GOAT. Effectively that's what he's saying without actually saying it.

Admittedly that was a stupid point of comparing the two. No doubt Kobe has had the greater career, but he's played 7 more seasons and his legacy is pretty much in stone now. Lebron is still building his, so rings play no part in who the actual better PLAYER is, as in who's actually better on-court.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:02 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,719,893 times
I agree with Jordan.

There has been no player as closest to Jordan in terms of skill as Kobe.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:16 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,991,505 times
You could argue either way, but at this point (and I can't believe I'm saying this), I would pick Lebron. I see where he is coming from though. Kobe's game is closer to MJ's, so that is probably the reason for his bias towards Kobe and the rings of course.

I just think Lebron makes his teammates better and in the long run that is going to be a difference. Kobe is showing that he struggles to make other players play better. How could anyone argue against that considering how poor the Lakers are playing this year with all that talent.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:46 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,719,893 times
^^^^
They play different styles, Lebron is a pure passer, Kobe is not.

Kobe will never be the passer that Lebron is.

But go back to the years when the Cavaliers were struggling.

You can't expect the Lakers to be great every single year.

You also can't blame Kobe solely on the Lakers' failures this season, it's a combination of things.

But Kobe has already cemented himself as one of the all time greats, if Kobe never wins another championship, he's still one of the greatest to ever play the game.

It would just be cool to see Kobe win another one.

Plus the Miami Heat have much better role players than the Lakers.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:39 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,900,531 times
MJ was a fantastic player...not so much a fantastic talent evaluator (cough*Kwame Brown* cough).

Tough to compare Kobe with Lebron. Kobe is at the tail end of his career while Lebron is in his prime and they have different style games. One thing I think most people would agree with is that Kobe is a better "competitor" than Lebron.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:44 PM

266 posts, read 410,715 times
Michael Jordan also picked Kwame Brown over Pau Gasol.

I agree with what Kevin Durant said though. If your going to judge players based on rings or accomplishments you have to wait till the end of their career. Whether Lebron ever gets to Jordans level remains to be seen but I think it's funny that so many people still hate on Lebron. The thing about Lebron is that I think he's finally starting to figure out the game in a way the all time greats do. Guys like Kobe and Michael are not only great players but had a high basketball IQ. I think Lebrons basketball IQ is starting to catch up with his game.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:01 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,991,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
^^^^
They play different styles, Lebron is a pure passer, Kobe is not.

Kobe will never be the passer that Lebron is.

But go back to the years when the Cavaliers were struggling.

You can't expect the Lakers to be great every single year.

You also can't blame Kobe solely on the Lakers' failures this season, it's a combination of things.

But Kobe has already cemented himself as one of the all time greats, if Kobe never wins another championship, he's still one of the greatest to ever play the game.

It would just be cool to see Kobe win another one.

Plus the Miami Heat have much better role players than the Lakers.
But that's my point. If you take the question context of who you would want on your team, then I would say that you pick Lebron because of his passing ability or his ability to make other players better. I think the effects of that is evidence by the play of the team. As far as Kobe, if this is a question of who's the most accomplished player thus far, then yes I'm picking Kobe. It just depends on what you're asking.

And as far as the role players, Lebron had far worse role players in Cleveland than Kobe has now and he at least was making that team a contender. Kobe just doesn't have the innate ability to make players better and that is the one thing that hurts his legacy if you could ever say anything that is wrong. It's not a clear cut question either way because yes they both have different playing styles and it just depends on what you are analyzing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball