Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 07:09 PM

933 posts, read 1,483,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild100s View Post
1. LeBron is listed as a forward, but we know he's a hybrid SF/PF/SG/PG. Carmelo Anthony is listed as a forward, but he isn't multidimensional.
2. While Howard had a solid year in 2009-10, LeBron's numbers were off the charts, especially his advanced numbers. LeBron had a higher win share (18.5), defensive win share, offensive win share and PER (31.1) than Howard did that season. Dwight Howard's PER was (24.0) in a season you said he was dominate.

Look, you can throw Dwight Howard out here, Melo out here or anyone else. Any way you wanna slice it, LeBron has always been more valuable to his team than any other player in the league.
If you look at the major statistics, it is laughable that you say Howard's numbers were "solid". I'm sorry, I didn't know leading the league in four different statistical categories is "solid". Let's see you try that and see if it just "solid". Doing that is dominating the entire league. He was the best player in the league that year and the most valuable.

Anyway you want to slice it, Dwight was better that year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 02:12 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,700,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
If you look at the major statistics, it is laughable that you say Howard's numbers were "solid". I'm sorry, I didn't know leading the league in four different statistical categories is "solid". Let's see you try that and see if it just "solid". Doing that is dominating the entire league. He was the best player in the league that year and the most valuable.

Anyway you want to slice it, Dwight was better that year.
What 4 categories was that? Certainly wasn't major categories. Look like he lead in FG% and rebounds. Howard was 22 and 14, .596, lebron was 29 and 7,.510. The FG% is negated by the fact that Dwight missed over 300 freethrows(.491!). I would take Lebrons year.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:54 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,955,810 times
The MVP award is a joke these days. The criteria is so contrived and convoluted that one actually needs to be the best player on the best team to be considered, which doesn't automatically mean Most Valuable Player. It sucks for the guys carrying their teams down in the middle of the pack that don't ever get any consideration because their team wont reach that magical 50 Win mark in order to qualify.

I never thought much about it untill 2002 when Duncan won over Ason Kidd, but that was close and understandable if it went either way. But the straw that broke the camels back for me was 2006 when Steve Nash won over Kobe and his late 80's Jordan-esque dominant monster season. I mean, how much does a guy have to do to prove he's the most valuable to his team? If Kobe didn't drop 50 the Lakers probably lost. But because the Suns were the #2 seed ( I think) that year Nash got it. That's pretty lame if you ask me.

Maybe the NBA should be more like college football with the Maxwell and Heisman. The NBA should have a Most Valuable Player award and a Best Player Award at this point.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:55 PM

462 posts, read 430,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
The MVP award is a joke these days. The criteria is so contrived and convoluted that one actually needs to be the best player on the best team to be considered, which doesn't automatically mean Most Valuable Player. It sucks for the guys carrying their teams down in the middle of the pack that don't ever get any consideration because their team wont reach that magical 50 Win mark in order to qualify.

I never thought much about it untill 2002 when Duncan won over Ason Kidd, but that was close and understandable if it went either way. But the straw that broke the camels back for me was 2006 when Steve Nash won over Kobe and his late 80's Jordan-esque dominant monster season. I mean, how much does a guy have to do to prove he's the most valuable to his team? If Kobe didn't drop 50 the Lakers probably lost. But because the Suns were the #2 seed ( I think) that year Nash got it. That's pretty lame if you ask me.

Maybe the NBA should be more like college football with the Maxwell and Heisman. The NBA should have a Most Valuable Player award and a Best Player Award at this point.
Let's examine LeBron versus Melo in terms of "value"

James ranked No. 11 in assists
Melo wasn't ranked in the Top 20.
James ranked No. 12 in steals.
James was ranked No. 3 in offensive rating
James was ranked No. 1 in offensive win share
Melo was ranked No. 7.
James was ranked No. 10 in defensive win share
Melo was not ranked in the Top 20.
James was ranked No. 1 in overall win share.
Melo was ranked No. 14 behind the likes of Mike Conley, George Hill, Deron Williams and Blake Griffin.
James finished second in DPOY voting. Melo was no where close.

If you put James on the Knicks and Melo on the Heat, the Knicks would be a better team, period.

In this case, the MVP voting was not a joke.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:08 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,955,810 times
Quote:

Melo was ranked No. 7.
Melo was ranked No. 14 behind the likes of Mike Conley, George Hill, Deron Williams and Blake Griffin.

If you put James on the Knicks and Melo on the Heat, the Knicks would be a better team, period.

You're right, and I'm not saying LeBron didn't deserve the MVP. But his win doesn't necessarily buck the trend either.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:18 PM
JL

8,521 posts, read 14,592,718 times
Lebron showed last night how valuable he was....started off the game posting up and it pretty much knocked Paul George off his tracks for the rest of the game...changed the entire complexion of that game...Heat win convincingly.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:43 PM

933 posts, read 1,483,271 times
Quote:

Melo was ranked No. 7.

I think we can all admit a lot of those stats are convoluted by the fact that Lebron has much better players around him!

Old 05-27-2013, 09:17 PM
JL

8,521 posts, read 14,592,718 times
going by OP definitition....just give it to harden then....he had less talent surrounding him than melo did and still get managed to get them in the playoffs. if harden wasn't on the team, they would win like 25-30 games this year....add to the fact that the rockets were the youngest and most inexperienced team and what they did was unprecedented in making the playoffs...how? they're the first team ever to have players never play for each other from the previous to current year and still make the playoffs...that roster was completely revamped from last year to this season....harden was the main reason they made the playoffs.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:24 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,746,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
I think we can all admit a lot of those stats are convoluted by the fact that Lebron has much better players around him!
Yeah I think you're right. In Cleveland when his supporting cast was worse than Carmelo's he put up junk stats like 29.7 ppg on 50.3% shooting, 8.6 apg, 7.3 rpg, 1.6 spg, and 1.0 bpg.

If Carmelo played on a good team his stats would decrease since all he does is shoot and rebound. With better scorers and a balanced offense he wouldn't be able to dribble the shot clock out and chuck up off-balance shots over 3 defenders every possession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball