Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 11:14 PM

45,580 posts, read 27,172,269 times

Advertisements

I had not heard he is the "father" of NFL defensive lineman Demetrius Bell - the result of impregnating a 13 year old while in college.

Karl Malone falls short, as a father

"I treat it as if my mother went to the sperm bank. I don't hate him for [not being in my life]. It made me a better person."

Absentee father certainly isn't the image most have of Malone -- especially in Summerfield and Salt Lake City, where he's revered. In fact, in 2003 Utah governor Mike Leavitt presented Malone and his wife, Kay, with a special declaration to "commend and thank Kay and Karl Malone for their incredible service, friendship, and generosity to the state of Utah." In the press release, Malone's frequent visits to sick children were praised, as well as his Karl Malone Foundation for Kids, which aids children and families in need. It makes his apparent reluctance to be a father to Bell that much more astounding, especially when you consider that Malone also grew up fatherless. Malone's father committed suicide when he was 3.

A decade ago, Malone and his wife -- with whom he has fathered four children -- spoke at a conference on families and talked openly about the children Malone has fathered outside of their marriage.

Of course, the Malones were talking about Daryl and Cheryl, not Demetrius.

I'm sorry - this is pretty bad.

As much as these sports starts are looked up to - they are a large cause of the social ills, especially in the black community because of the numerous cases of single parenthood that has resulted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 07:42 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
I always thought Malone was a jerk, but this didn't know he was this much of an a-hole.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,282 times
Karl Malone is a jerk. That being said, all three of the kids he abandoned earned athletic scholarships and two of them made the highest level of their sport.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:26 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,055 times
Scottie "no tippin'" Pippen knocked some guy out at a sushi restaurant a few days ago too. Bunch of classless tattoed thugs those 90s players were! This is a prime example of everything that was wrong with the league back then.*

*I'm just trolling the dummies who say these things about today's NBA.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:11 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,655,620 times
I always thought Malone was a jerk. This is just more proof to me.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:46 AM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Why can't Malone keep it classy and just shoot somebody like the NFL players.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:02 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,086,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Why can't Malone keep it classy and just shoot somebody like the NFL players.
it amazes me because so many football fans around other sports boards (i dont care for football and so dont frequent the one here) hate the nba because it is full of thugs and is all ghetto and stuff. the nfl is far and away full of worse imo.

so malone doesnt want to be a father to this kid, thats his choice. i mean how many other players in all sports have illegitimate kids or have kids they dont even know about, or kids that just happened on some stupid night back in xxxx year.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:14 AM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
it amazes me because so many football fans around other sports boards (i dont care for football and so dont frequent the one here) hate the nba because it is full of thugs and is all ghetto and stuff. the nfl is far and away full of worse imo.

so malone doesnt want to be a father to this kid, thats his choice. i mean how many other players in all sports have illegitimate kids or have kids they dont even know about, or kids that just happened on some stupid night back in xxxx year.
Yeah, I'm not defending Malone here I just found the timing rather funny given all the murder charges flying around the NFL.

On top of that, Malone isn't that different from most pro-athletes that have had girls after them since they were 13.

My guess is that it was covered up to prevent stat-rape charges and that Malone provided $$$ support behind the scenes.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:43 PM

45,580 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, I'm not defending Malone here I just found the timing rather funny given all the murder charges flying around the NFL.

On top of that, Malone isn't that different from most pro-athletes that have had girls after them since they were 13.

My guess is that it was covered up to prevent stat-rape charges and that Malone provided $$$ support behind the scenes.
Actually, I found the info on this upon reading the Sampson story in that thread.

No funniness on the timing.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:00 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,855 times
Pshhh, Malone's got nothing on Travis Henry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball