Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 04:35 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,710,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
I'll end this debate with this though, again: Winning is the point of the game, and all sports. If Russell is the greatest winner then he is the greatest player and the debate ends.
You forgot to say 'in your opinion'. Wow,underlining my points to make them look more valid IS fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 06:07 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,098,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
You forgot to say 'in your opinion'. Wow,underlining my points to make them look more valid IS fun!
lmao! Let's use all 3!

Old 10-26-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
lmao! Let's use all 3!
It's a skill I tell ya!

Old 10-27-2013, 07:27 PM

33 posts, read 38,629 times
Jordan would be like Dominique Wilkins if he hadn't won a title. That's how Michael Jordan got all this attention in the first place, because of all the titles he won.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:00 AM

Having lived through the Jordan era as it was happening, like I imagine many of us on here have, Jordan was getting 'greatest player' ever talk......before he won a title. In retrospect it seems a little silly, but the mere fact that he was even garnering that kind of talk shows the level of artistry he displayed prior to his first title.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:33 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,428,130 times
I watched game 6 of the 98 Finals in full this weekend. It was on Youtube. Poor pip.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:44 PM

211 posts, read 529,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Having lived through the Jordan era as it was happening, like I imagine many of us on here have, Jordan was getting 'greatest player' ever talk......before he won a title. In retrospect it seems a little silly, but the mere fact that he was even garnering that kind of talk shows the level of artistry he displayed prior to his first title.
Just so I can have some sort of frame of reference, how does the current "Lebron GOAT" hype compare to the "Jordan GOAT"? I was alive during the Jordan era, but was too young and didn't watch basketball.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:56 PM

4,876 posts, read 6,937,609 times
Anybody that's ever seriously followed NBA basketball over the last 40 years that doesn't believe that Jordan is the best there has ever been to me is blinded only by their allegiance to there own team.

In most sports, it's impossible to point at anyone as being the best because of the totally diversified positions in each. This is especially true in football and baseball. The positions played by each player are so unique. The only major team sport that you can make a comparison as to a player's abilities would be hockey. Like basketball, all players play their game despite different positions, but in a close enough manner that a real comparison as to greatness can be made.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImtheBrilliantest View Post
Just so I can have some sort of frame of reference, how does the current "Lebron GOAT" hype compare to the "Jordan GOAT"? I was alive during the Jordan era, but was too young and didn't watch basketball.
Not the same, because whenever the idea of Lebron surpassing Jordan comes up, I hear or read alot of 'Lebron has to win x titles, x MVPs, x scoring titles, x FMVPs' before he's considered on that level. Of course Lebron's story is still being written, so we can't really judge until he's retired. Whereas alot of pundits were proclaiming Jordan the best individual player they had seen before he won the title. The main criticism was that no scoring champion would lead a team to titles. Of course he wound up doing that 6 times( and no-one has done it since).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball