Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:53 AM

9,766 posts, read 7,487,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I agree but it's only the very first session and this extended scrimmage should be used for player assessment (for example, after a few minutes, you might want to even out the teams and match up
specific players against each other). In addition, there are usually more than 10 players on the team so 30-min should allow for adequate substitutions.
We have 11 and 1 player won't be there because he has a football game, so if everyone else shows up, that'll leave us with only 10, so really no room to sub players if we want to keep the normal 5 v 5 scrimmage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 11:15 PM

9,766 posts, read 7,487,391 times
Hey sorry this is a 2 year old thread, but got another question:

Here in Connecticut I've got a couple opportunities to be a volunteer coach at a high school. 1 is for a girls team, and the other is for a boys team. The girls school is closer to my house, but has by far the worst traffic, so the two schools will probably be about the same distance time wise +/- a couple minutes here or there depending on what times the games, & practices are/end.

For anyone that's ever coached boys & girls which one is easier??

Old 12-05-2015, 06:01 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,147,376 times
Girls are more coachable but will try your patience because they're usually physically more limited than their male counterparts. On the other hand, boys will try your patience because they lose focus easily or tend not to listen.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:28 AM

45,606 posts, read 27,230,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Hey sorry this is a 2 year old thread, but got another question:

Here in Connecticut I've got a couple opportunities to be a volunteer coach at a high school. 1 is for a girls team, and the other is for a boys team. The girls school is closer to my house, but has by far the worst traffic, so the two schools will probably be about the same distance time wise +/- a couple minutes here or there depending on what times the games, & practices are/end.

For anyone that's ever coached boys & girls which one is easier??
I think you have to answer that question yourself as far as how your personality/character is.

For me, my mom and sister (oldest sibling) were the more prominent members of my house while my dad was in the service - so it's easier for me to relate to women than men.

The girls would seem to feature more strategy, where the boys physical capabilities come more into play.

I guess you have to decide what you want out of it and what your comfort level is. If you are married, check your wife's opinion - as they see things about us that we don't.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:08 AM

10,576 posts, read 7,785,778 times
^ Excellent advice.

For the girls team, there would be another female coach involved, right? If not, and assuming you're male, I'd pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball