Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 04:25 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,428,819 times

Advertisements

Integral enough to make those playoff impacts, but not important enough to be considered part of the "core"

Robert Horry
Ron Harper
John Salley
Horace Grant
Steve Kerr
Ray Allen
Derek Fisher
Shaq(later part of his career)
Dikembe? (jumping from philly to jersey and later to houston?)
Rashard Lewis and Juwan Howard?
SCALABRINE?.

I can only attest to the current era. Any suggestions? How do they stack up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 04:41 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,100,025 times
Half that lost I would not consider "ring chasers"

Kerr? Horry? Nah.
Scalibrini? Nah.

Shaq? No way!

Teaming up with a big name isn't ring chasing. Now had half these guys joined up with the defending champs only to ride the bench, MAYBE. But jumping on a top team and being a part of a title winner, that's not ring chasing.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:33 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,063,754 times
Ray Allen won a ring in Boston. He was routinely getting **** on by Mgmt and teammates there to a marginalized position so he then left. He is absolutely part of Miami's core though. I think its fair to say anyone that gets any play time during the NBA Finals is a core player. In the 2012-13 NBA Finals Joel Anthony, Juwan Howard, James Jones, Rashard Lewis - those are guys on the Heat that weren't part of the core. Ray Allen, Mike Miller, Shane Battier, Norris Cole, Birdman were absolutely part of the core.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:51 PM

14,690 posts, read 14,668,136 times
The "core" would be the starting five plus the sixth man. Everyone else are bench/role players.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:54 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,737,158 times
Ray Allen was 5th in minutes per game last year even though he didn't start.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:24 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,087,827 times
Kerr went to Chicago the year after Jordan retired so he's not a ring chaser.

Horace Grant was a part of the core for the Bulls first 3 peat. I can't remember the reasons for him going to Orlando, the reasoning escapes me at the moment. Maybe he thought that Chicago wouldn't have been able to duplicate the success they had in '93-'94.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:46 PM

78,502 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post

Horace Grant was a part of the core for the Bulls first 3 peat. I can't remember the reasons for him going to Orlando, the reasoning escapes me at the moment. Maybe he thought that Chicago wouldn't have been able to duplicate the success they had in '93-'94.
I seem to recall that Orlando was offering him quite a bit of $$$. (I could be wrong, that was a while ago...)

Old 11-23-2013, 11:03 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,087,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I seem to recall that Orlando was offering him quite a bit of $$$. (I could be wrong, that was a while ago...)
I'm sure that was a part of it but guys in Chicago during that period had a particular hatred for the GM at the time, Jerry Krause.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:11 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,428,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Half that lost I would not consider "ring chasers"

Kerr? Horry? Nah.
Scalibrini? Nah.

Shaq? No way!

Teaming up with a big name isn't ring chasing. Now had half these guys joined up with the defending champs only to ride the bench, MAYBE. But jumping on a top team and being a part of a title winner, that's not ring chasing.
I figure it doesn't matter if they lost, because they went to a team they knew would be deep in the playoffs, if not a Finals team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post

I was thinking about Kerr in San Antonio, and Horace with the Lakers. Similar to Harper with the Lakers, and Horry.

I'm not arguing either way. In fact if I were those teams, I'd defintely want players that have skills who accept minimum pay...stay deep on the cheap.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:02 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,188,779 times
Ring chasing = Karl Malone w/ the Lakers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball