Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 08:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,251,373 times

Advertisements

Big question is, what to do with Noah? Does he stay or go? He's young enough to still be a major factor when a rebuilding process eventually bears fruit, but how much will it cost to keep him around that long? Will he tolerate being on a "rebuilding" team for the better part of a decade when he could jump ship to a competing team? I do hate to lose him but I don't see how he stays around.

Rose's career is basically over. A terrible shame to see something like this happen to such a humble and pleasant young man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 08:55 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,495,144 times
I think the problem with Noah and a rebuild will be he will be coming out of his contract in a couple years, right around age 30 and looking to get one last big deal. It would seem unlikely with a tanking trajectory that the Bulls would be willing, or correct in, offering him market value contract.

If the Bulls commit to NBA hell, sure reup with him and Deng

Old 11-26-2013, 09:07 AM

4,513 posts, read 5,061,573 times
$41 million for playing 50 games in 3 years, not a bad deal for Rose !

Old 11-26-2013, 09:25 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,428,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
This is just...sad. The story of D Rose peaked during game 1 of the ECF vs the Heat. Taj embarrasses D Wade by dunking on his face, the Bulls are three wins away from the finals with a crazy young core and an apparent brilliant head coach. They were winning 60+ games but somehow their arrow still pointed UP for the future.

That is gone. It is over. The Bulls can now choose between being a middle type NBA team (or as most people call it, NBA hell) or they can try to tank immediately, but that would be difficult outside of forfeiting games in this EC. This sets the bulls back, at least 5 years. Probably more like 10. They will now be at best, a 90s Cavs team that is good but will always be a second round failure, getting crushed by better star players.

If I had the keys to the car? I would get rid of Deng, Boozer, Kirk, Taj (I realize that is not easy to do)... I would tank as shamelessly as possible this season (this would involve firing Thibs today) and just try to get lucky in what projects to be a very deep draft. Leave Rose's starting spot available for him on next years roster, and let him give it one more shot with hopefully a lottery pick playing with him.

Either way, this is a bleak time for the Bulls. Chicago haters rejoice.
If Nikola Mirotic is as good as he is touted to be, I don't see why it would take more than 5 years to be a title team. He would be your second star. Either Rose comes back to form, like Westbrook did or if he doesn't, they just need one star to add. They also have Charlottes pick in addition to their own, in either of the next three drafts, which will be a good pick.

Thibs is the best coach they've had since Phil Jackson. Unless we actually hire Phil Jackson, I wouldn't fire Thibs. That'd be a huge mistake. The Bulls would lose their defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Big question is, what to do with Noah? Does he stay or go? He's young enough to still be a major factor when a rebuilding process eventually bears fruit, but how much will it cost to keep him around that long? Will he tolerate being on a "rebuilding" team for the better part of a decade when he could jump ship to a competing team? I do hate to lose him but I don't see how he stays around.

Rose's career is basically over. A terrible shame to see something like this happen to such a humble and pleasant young man.
Again, I don't see it taking a decade.

It took about 10 years the last time the Bulls were rebuilding, from the end of the Jordan era to 2009, which is their current core. To me, part of the reason for that was bad moves by Krause to basically give up on a 20-10 guy, who people criticized wasn't a franchise guy, and give up on someone you knew was going to be all-defense in Ron Artest. They ended up with basically 2 projects out of high school who you had no idea what they'd be. Turns out one of them wasn't a franchise guy, Tyson, but still all-defense and could've been their center for 10+ years. They gave him up too. They rebuilt multiple times with 3-4 different core groups

This time around, the Bulls have more pieces of value to start with, whether they plan to stick with the same core +/ a few trade/acquisitions or whether they plan to move them all. They're in better position to be back to championship form sooner.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:17 AM

17 posts, read 37,476 times
Out for the season. Really sad. I can't see him coming back to his best.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
$41 million for playing 50 games in 3 years, not a bad deal for Rose !
It's not like he sat around eating Doritos the rest of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
This time around, the Bulls have more pieces of value to start with, whether they plan to stick with the same core +/ a few trade/acquisitions or whether they plan to move them all. They're in better position to be back to championship form sooner.
They're also way above the salary cap, and it's likely they're not going to stay above it knowing the key piece of their championship push is out for the season.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:01 PM

4,513 posts, read 5,061,573 times
"It's not like he sat around eating Doritos the rest of the time."

He might as well. Every time he comes back he will get hurt again. He's done ! That's why it's foolish to give these young players huge salaries before they've proven themselves.

And the Bulls are a typical Chicago team, 1 key player gets hurt and they're done, same as the Bears.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:

He might as well. Every time he comes back he will get hurt again. He's done ! That's why it's foolish to give these young players huge salaries before they've proven themselves.

And the Bulls are a typical Chicago team, 1 key player gets hurt and they're done, same as the Bears.
Nonetheless, you made it sound like it was a "good deal" for Rose as if he somehow got off the hook and didn't have to work for the money he's been paid.

Paying young players huge salaries is a game of chances. Obviously not every young player gets the kind of salary Rose got out of the gate; in fact very few do. For those who do get that kind of money from the start, every team is aware of the risks and they're also aware of what what they stand to lose if another team outbids them for high-potential players. The marketplace weighs the risks and benefits to arrive at a salary. In this case the Bulls lost. In the case of Jordan, they won.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:01 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,428,819 times
Quote:

That's true of the entire NBA.

He's not just a key player like Butler, Noah, Deng, etc. He's THE player. Of course it hurts more.
But I disagree, if they had everyone else in top form including Rose, and lost Butler, a key player, they might still have a chance, if they lost Boozer, yeah they might still have a chance.

The Thunder lost Westbrook and look how far they got.
Could the Heat win in the playoffs without Lebron
Could the Spurs without Duncan or Parker? Look where they were with a poor performance from Manu.
Could the Lakers have won without Kobe? Shaq?
The NBA is about 1 or 2 star players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

They're also way above the salary cap, and it's likely they're not going to stay above it knowing the key piece of their championship push is out for the season.
My point was they are in better position than 1999 to get back to form sooner. I don't see it taking 10 years to be a serious contender. (not saying being a dynasty, just a contender like they were in 2010-2012 or better.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
My point was they are in better position than 1999 to get back to form sooner. I don't see it taking 10 years to be a serious contender. (not saying being a dynasty, just a contender like they were in 2010-2012 or better.
If they have a complete fire sale, what pieces of value are left for a quick rebuild process?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball