Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:18 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I think they are too, but what is wrong with Ray Allen at League Min. you can still trade away the three guys they acquired a month ago (Lucas, et al.) and bring on a big at 3M.

Ray Allen is a tremendous asset especially come playoff time.

I'm not as doom and gloom as most over our Bigs...Between AV, Love, TT and a rim protector we are good. Those three guys can really rebound the backetball as well, which is often forgotten in the Defensive equation.
Ok, lets take the Bulls out of the equation and talk about what you'd need to win in the finals.

1. AV is pretty broken down. Relying on him is dicey.
2. Love is a meh defender. Maybe that will improve.
3. TT is an ok PF but 9.2 rpg isn't exactly eye-popping considering all the garbage time he got to play last year. You sure aren't going to take minutes from Love to put him on the floor and he's grossly undersized to play the 5.

So I think that a defensive big is critical....way more important than Ray Allen who is at this age a huge defensive liability and we've already shown that the PG\SG combo for Cleveland is not even average defensively.

In short, Lebron can't guard everybody and regardless of how good any of us think Cleveland is....I think that the rim protector is what would improve them most.

The fact that Cleveland is actively hunting for a rim protector backs up my lack of faith in AV & TT and Loves defense. Cleveland isn't exactly happy with their bigs and it shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 10:10 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,805,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, lets take the Bulls out of the equation and talk about what you'd need to win in the finals.

1. AV is pretty broken down. Relying on him is dicey.
2. Love is a meh defender. Maybe that will improve.
3. TT is an ok PF but 9.2 rpg isn't exactly eye-popping considering all the garbage time he got to play last year. You sure aren't going to take minutes from Love to put him on the floor and he's grossly undersized to play the 5.

So I think that a defensive big is critical....way more important than Ray Allen who is at this age a huge defensive liability and we've already shown that the PG\SG combo for Cleveland is not even average defensively.

In short, Lebron can't guard everybody and regardless of how good any of us think Cleveland is....I think that the rim protector is what would improve them most.

The fact that Cleveland is actively hunting for a rim protector backs up my lack of faith in AV & TT and Loves defense. Cleveland isn't exactly happy with their bigs and it shows.
Of course they aren't happy. Is any team out there content with every aspect of their team. Part of defending is contesting shots and also rebounding. I'm fine with that aspect (rebounding) we could have the best rebounding team in basketball. I look at the following minute breakdowns: AV (20-25), TT (8-12), a Rim Protector (14-18) spliting minutes at the 5 with a group made up of the following is fine with me. Is it ideal? Probably not. I think its good enough to get to the Finals (in addition to other factors). Begs the question...How did the Heat manage the Center position?

I am anxious to see guys like Love, Thompson, Waiters on a title contending team- with Thompson and Waiters I've seen enough in the past 2-3 years to see the athleticism and I think the defense will come around more. Kyrie is a gate- that isn't foreign territory either- we had Mo Williams on 61 and 66 win teams defending PGs.

Again, for League Min. I'm more than happy to take on Ray Allen, who in my opinion has a few more big shots left in him. If we were cutting loose a young up and coming player to make room for him- maybe I think twice- but that's not the case. Bringing Ray Allen on has NO impact on a 3M rim protector they can get for getting rid of the three contracts I previously mentioned.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Of course they aren't happy. Is any team out there content with every aspect of their team. Part of defending is contesting shots and also rebounding. I'm fine with that aspect (rebounding) we could have the best rebounding team in basketball. I look at the following minute breakdowns: AV (20-25), TT (8-12), a Rim Protector (14-18) spliting minutes at the 5 with a group made up of the following is fine with me. Is it ideal? Probably not. I think its good enough to get to the Finals (in addition to other factors). Begs the question...How did the Heat manage the Center position?

I am anxious to see guys like Love, Thompson, Waiters on a title contending team- with Thompson and Waiters I've seen enough in the past 2-3 years to see the athleticism and I think the defense will come around more. Kyrie is a gate- that isn't foreign territory either- we had Mo Williams on 61 and 66 win teams defending PGs.

Again, for League Min. I'm more than happy to take on Ray Allen, who in my opinion has a few more big shots left in him. If we were cutting loose a young up and coming player to make room for him- maybe I think twice- but that's not the case. Bringing Ray Allen on has NO impact on a 3M rim protector they can get for getting rid of the three contracts I previously mentioned.
I'm sure Ray would look a little more spry if he wasn't being driven like a rental car like in Miami with 30+ mpg. We both certainly agree about him....I just think the big man is a bigger issue.

It will be interesting to see the Cleveland crew that was "the core" lose their touches, their minutes and in some cases their starting line-up positions and how they might react to that. Any of the "kids" not being positive team players and working their butts on defense might find themselves involved in a trade.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm sure Ray would look a little more spry if he wasn't being driven like a rental car like in Miami with 30+ mpg. We both certainly agree about him....I just think the big man is a bigger issue.

It will be interesting to see the Cleveland crew that was "the core" lose their touches, their minutes and in some cases their starting line-up positions and how they might react to that. Any of the "kids" not being positive team players and working their butts on defense might find themselves involved in a trade.
Well honestly if I'm Waiter's agent I tell him to keep quiet and play solid basketball the next three years. Going to be no pressure on him and he will get good looks at the basket. I'm not saying he's James Harden, but he could certainly take on that type of role and cash in at the end of his contract. I hope he's too expensive for the Cavs because it will likely mean they have won a couple titles in the next three years.

Different for Waiters this year...he's not competing with Kyrie to be "the guy" he knows he's not the guy- seems pretty enamored with Love and James. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's the surpise but if your a Cavs fan its no surprise he brought his "A" towards the end of the year.

TT is a role player, he was drafted with that intent- maybe he would develop a little offensive game, but he is what he is. Young 4 who can play a little 5, rebound and get some garbage baskets and he's youth off the bench. The only thing I've been disappointed his shot blocks have gone down each season. He shares the same agent as Lebron you know they talk- nothing to see here even if his starting role and minutes are cut.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:52 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,060,777 times
How are the Bulls considered better than Miami at this point?

Rose vs Wade. As dynamic and exciting as Rose was, he's just as much if not more a liability than Wade. And Wade's efficiency is up, way up. Rose's has been down in FIBA and in the few games he played last season.

Gasol / Noah vs Bosh / McRoberts. This is the most interesting part of the matchup and could go either way. It'll depend on how the each of the two mix and how Bosh asserts himself.

Butler / Dunleavy vs Deng / Granger. Not even close Deng and Granger take this one. Dunleavy has the stroke but unless Butler improves drastically this one is easily favoring the Heat.

Then there's basically supporters, role players, and newbies. And as much **** as Chalmers gets, he still posted better numbers than Hinrich.

Is Rose back? Yes. Is LeBron gone? Yes. Are the Bulls guaranteed better though? Hell no.

And this is really only the Bulls vs Heat matchup. Both these teams also have to contend with the improved Hawks and Hornets and the young Wizards and Raptors.

Last edited by EndersDrift; 08-28-2014 at 03:00 PM..

Old 08-28-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post

Rose vs Wade. As dynamic and exciting as Rose was, he's just as much if not more a liability than Wade. And Wade's efficiency is up, way up. Rose's has been down in FIBA and in the few games he played last season.

Gasol / Noah vs Bosh / McRoberts. This is the most interesting part of the matchup and could go either way. It'll depend on how the each of the two mix and how Bosh asserts himself.

Butler / Dunleavy vs Deng / Granger. Not even close Deng and Granger take this one. Dunleavy has the stroke but unless Butler improves drastically this one is easily favoring the Heat.

Then there's basically supporters, role players, and newbies. And as much **** as Chalmers gets, he still posted better numbers than Hinrich.

Is Rose back? Yes. Is LeBron gone? Yes. Are the Bulls guaranteed better though? Hell no.

And this is really only the Bulls vs Heat matchup. Both these teams also have to contend with the improved Hawks and Hornets and the young Wizards and Raptors.
Gasol/Noah is a toss-up against Bosh/McRoberts?

BWAH HAH HAH HAH HAH>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Some of your other comments are funny but that one is comic gold.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post

I'd take Gasol and Noah all day everyday. I'd favor Rose and I'd also take the Bulls complete roster.

Its Cavs slight edge over Bulls then there is a big gap with Heat tied with Wiz

Old 08-28-2014, 04:57 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
The Cavs would face the same problem against the Bulls as the Heat against the Spurs last year: inability to stop the opposing bigs. Duncan shot .569 for the finals, and Splitter .706
2014 NBA Finals | Basketball-Reference.com

In fact, it might be even worse for the Cavs. Noah is not much of a scorer, but can hurt you with passing. He averaged 5.4 assists last year without having much of anyone to pass to. Throw in the Bulls over all big man depth (Noah, Gasol, Mirotic, Gibson) and the Cavs are toast unless injuries intervene.

At least the Cavs are smart enough to realize it and are still trying to come up with a 7 footer.

Cleveland Cavaliers NBA Trade Rumors: Timofey Mozgov Denver Nuggets Deal Unlikely

Old 08-29-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
I'd take Gasol and Noah all day everyday. I'd favor Rose and I'd also take the Bulls complete roster.

Its Cavs slight edge over Bulls then there is a big gap with Heat tied with Wiz
We can quibble about how we think Bulls\Cavs are going to wind up (and I hope it's decided on the court and not by x-rays...that robs us as fans).

However, yeah we can agree that the idea that the Heat are somehow tied with the Bulls is ridiculous.

Noah didn't win DPOY and 1st team all-NBA based on looks after all.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The Cavs would face the same problem against the Bulls as the Heat against the Spurs last year: inability to stop the opposing bigs. Duncan shot .569 for the finals, and Splitter .706
2014 NBA Finals | Basketball-Reference.com

In fact, it might be even worse for the Cavs. Noah is not much of a scorer, but can hurt you with passing. He averaged 5.4 assists last year without having much of anyone to pass to. Throw in the Bulls over all big man depth (Noah, Gasol, Mirotic, Gibson) and the Cavs are toast unless injuries intervene.

At least the Cavs are smart enough to realize it and are still trying to come up with a 7 footer.

Cleveland Cavaliers NBA Trade Rumors: Timofey Mozgov Denver Nuggets Deal Unlikely
Depending on match-ups in the Western Conference the Cavs are a year away from an NBA title. If its the Spurs maybe the Clips we will likely lose. I tend to agree with you. If/when we turn the Haywood contract into a 10-12 M Big next season this roster is set to go and will dominate 15-16 and 16-17.

Bulls will likely have a one year window.

I don't think the Bulls have enough firepower to beat the Cavs, will they compete- absolutely- should be a great series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball