Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2015, 01:59 PM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times

Advertisements

Died of cancer at the age of 60.

Yahoo! Sports

Quote:
Flip Saunders, longtime coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves, passed away on Sunday at the age of 60. The T'wolves president was diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma earlier in 2015.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 02:16 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,553,945 times
Sad. I remember going to many T-Wolves games back in the day and sitting near him.

I thought it was reported that his cancer was under control and that it seemed curable?

Bummer.

Last edited by emcee squared; 10-25-2015 at 02:28 PM..

Old 10-25-2015, 03:45 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
Tragic, tragic news. I was hoping that he would beat this terrible disease. I didn't know much about him, but he never did anything that rubbed me the wrong way. Sad to hear.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:56 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,280,747 times
Seemed to be regarded as a class act amongst his peers in the league. Way too young for anyone to go.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:16 PM

61 posts, read 56,909 times
I remember the old timberwolves, good times. Rest in peace

Old 10-26-2015, 06:57 AM

4,869 posts, read 6,935,343 times
Flip coached in the CBA for the Sioux Falls Skyforce prior to making it in the NBA. He made such a positive influence while he was in SF and occasionally came back for PR as this is Timberwolves territory.

I went to a seminar once in a tiny gym in SF that he put on for youths in an advanced basketball league my son was playing in. He was fantastic. While talking basketball he kept shooting from the left edge of the free throw line. He never missed. Had to have hit 25 straight and he wasn't even concentrating.

Flip discussed dribbling and how he got better. As a kid he used to dribble up and down a stairway. Then he'd shut the lights off and do it in the dark.

The kids were very motivated after his session. The man was born to teach basketball.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:31 PM

18,221 posts, read 25,871,803 times
I was watching ESPN's Around The Horn a bit ago and panelist Frank Iola told a story on him. About how he talked to Coach Saunders on the same day as this years NBA draft. And how he was upbeat, not talking about himself, just being overly enthusiastic like always about the draft and about the NBA in general.

If there was anybody who came up with the statement "coaching is teaching" it surely would be Flip Saunders.

CLASS-on and off the court!

He'll be missed. Rip. Coach.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:09 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
words can't express how sad his passing is to me, one theme that was repeated over and over among the local sports media was how he reached out to the many members in town here on a personal level that transcended the typical arms length relationship and expressed a genuine caring of their personal lives. John Krazinsky (AP Sports Guy) told on Dann Barrerio's afternoon KFAN show of Flip's concern during John's wife's pregnancy and that he called asking for updates more often than John's own mother.

An Ode To The FUNKADELIC | Dan Barreiro on KFAN FM 100.3

While always a home grown sports fan of the area's teams, I was never a big basketball fan on a national level. But when ever I caught Dan with the Funkadelic on I never changed the channel because he was such an upbeat and honest interview and I think I learned an awful lot about basketball and life listening to Flip.

I still remember Flip as a key member of a University of Minnesota in the mid 70's, that included Mychal Thompson and Kevin McHale, that established that team as the greatest team to ever play at the barn. Happy that he got a chance with the T-Wolves and never rooted so hard for an opposing team in any sport as when he moved on to coach at Detroit.

The news was pretty hopeful even when he was diagnosed with cancer this summer, thinking that he would take some time off and be back to join the team after he beat this. It hit me like a ton of bricks when I heard of his passing this Sunday.

Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:07 AM

653 posts, read 784,691 times
I didn't even know he was ill. Very sad news... R.I.P Coach!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball