Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 01:22 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,071 times

Advertisements

#1 shocked me. But looking back, I recall him competing in the high jump.

Couldn't find David Thompson on the list. I thought he nailed a 48".

https://fadeawayworld.net/2018/09/22...p-of-all-time/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 07:37 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,251,948 times
I've not yet looked at the list, but am hoping that World B Free and Rex Chapman are on it.

Edit --- neither one is. But there are some good names on there like Spud Webb

Old 05-13-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I've not yet looked at the list, but am hoping that World B Free and Rex Chapman are on it.

Edit --- neither one is. But there are some good names on there like Spud Webb
Didn't realize that Free and Chapman, especially Chapman were great leapers.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:57 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,956 times
I seem to remember there was a famous NYC playground player nicknamed 'Herman the helicopter.' According to this Bernard King said he saw this guy pick a quarter off the top of a backboard when King was in 9th grade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_dO0yqvnrM

Michael Cooper of the Lakers at 6'6" was another guy said to be able to touch the top of the backboard. But picking a quarter adds to the degree of difficulty.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:08 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Michael Cooper couldn't come close to touching top of backboard. Wilt Chamberlain 48" vertical? No way.

Where's Dominique Wilkins? He had better dunks off two feet than any of those guys.

Rex Chapman was probably high 30's for vertical. He had some good dunks in a contest one year.

World B Free's vertical was inferior to Chapmans, IMO.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Michael Cooper couldn't come close to touching top of backboard. Wilt Chamberlain 48" vertical? No way.
I was surprised by Wilt's 48" too. Wilt was also a track star and I recall a photo of him high jumping 6'6". I realize that we're talking about different jumps, but just sayin'.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:19 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I was surprised by Wilt's 48" too. Wilt was also a track star and I recall a photo of him high jumping 6'6". I realize that we're talking about different jumps, but just sayin'.
He was an incredible athlete, with strength, speed, agility and size. I'm a big Wilt fan myself.

There's no evidence to support that 48" figure though, whether it be measured or anecdotal. He only jumped as high as necessary to dunk, which wasn't much.

A great story in Connie Hawkins' book "Foul" about 6'5" Jumpin' Jackie Jackson trapping Wilt's fade away near the top of back board in a NY playground game. It really pissed Wilt off so after that he just took over the game and dominated in all ways. Hawkins' take away: Never anger Wilt Chamberlain!

Old 05-25-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
He was an incredible athlete, with strength, speed, agility and size. I'm a big Wilt fan myself.

There's no evidence to support that 48" figure though, whether it be measured or anecdotal. He only jumped as high as necessary to dunk, which wasn't much.

A great story in Connie Hawkins' book "Foul" about 6'5" Jumpin' Jackie Jackson trapping Wilt's fade away near the top of back board in a NY playground game. It really pissed Wilt off so after that he just took over the game and dominated in all ways. Hawkins' take away: Never anger Wilt Chamberlain!
Yeah, I remember a game in which the great defensive center Nate Thurmond blocked three of Wilt's finger rolls, Wilt got that ball back after that third block and put the ball, and, damn near, put Nate through the hoop on a savage dunk.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:05 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Yeah, I remember a game in which the great defensive center Nate Thurmond blocked three of Wilt's finger rolls, Wilt got that ball back after that third block and put the ball, and, damn near, put Nate through the hoop on a savage dunk.
Wilt was an incredible athlete who ran distance events in college at 7 foot. Most distance runners tend to be diminuative since carrying bulk over distance is obviously disadvantageous. The current marathon record holder is Dennis Kimetto of Kenya, 5'7", 121 lbs.

But playing on emotion as you describe shows why Bill Russell was the superior basketball player. Russell played to win, not to retaliate after someone blocked his finger rolls.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:10 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
Not buying Wilt's 48" vertical at all. AT. ALL.

He was an amazing athlete for his height, but no way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball