Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 07:10 PM

223 posts, read 144,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
I stand corrected. My point being, was that college degree all that important? Fast forward. He's been in the league for over 20 years and I am sure he hasn't put that degree to use. He's been balling the whole time. He would have been well rested for that game and maybe, just maybe, could have influenced a different outcome. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. He made his choice.
Both of his parents were educators and his siblings already had degrees. Yes, the outcome could have been different or could have been the same IF he didn't go. According to him, the graduation was at 9 and he was back to practice by 11 (and he was the first one to practice). He made a choice and kept his promise to his Mom.

BTW, I'm not saying you are wrong with your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 07:27 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Such a fun player to watch. Vince Carter is my all time favorite dunker. Dominique Wilkins is my #2 (Shawn Kemp probably #3, Steve Francis #4). Not only was the 2000 slam dunk contest amazing, but when he literally jumped over that 7 footer in the international game/olympics....I just about lost my mind.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:28 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,654,933 times
I think VC will make the Hall of Fame...all things considered, I don't think it will be much of a debate.

Old 08-06-2020, 09:14 PM

30,135 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Mixed feelings about him and his career.
Let's go back to 2000. He won the dunk contest in amazing fashion, then followed that up with what I personally consider the greatest in game dunk of all time at the Olympics (yep THAT dunk). He went toe to toe with AI in the Eastern Conference Finals. At that point in time, in a group of his peers and contemporaries such as Kobe, Paul Pierce, T Mac, and Dirk, he would have been at the top of the group in the year 2000, and it looked like we had finally found MJ's heir.

You can't knock VC for failing to become then next MJ. Lebron James is the only one who has come close and he is head and shoulders above Vince Carter in just about every way. Vince had a good career. Fun to watch and its amazing he played as long as he did.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:03 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times
The graduation as much influence on the outcome as Vince deciding that he'd make his own breakfast instead of his chef. The shot rimmed out, it didn't airball or hit the side of the backboard.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:05 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,461 times
Vince had a good career. Wouldn't say he was great, but he was good enough to play for so long in the NBA. That says something. I don't really think too much about his career or have any thoughts. Frankly, the only thing that sticks out for me personally is the 2000 Slam Dunk Contest. Sure, he was a household name for many years, but I don't feel like he really did anything with it.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:47 AM

29 posts, read 16,192 times
Carter was great in his prime, Him and Jason Kidd should've at least won 1 ring on the Nets

Old 10-26-2020, 08:50 AM

29 posts, read 16,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
You can't knock VC for failing to become then next MJ. Lebron James is the only one who has come close and he is head and shoulders above Vince Carter in just about every way. Vince had a good career. Fun to watch and its amazing he played as long as he did.
Kobe Bryant came close to MJ for sure, And if not due to injuries I think Tracy McGrady would've been an all time great as well.

But I think the next Jordan era is over, Kids play the game today trying to be like Steph Curry ~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball